GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Disappointed with new SCT 2

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/05, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a XCAL 2 about 5 weeks ago and finally got it from Mustang tuning. I have a K&N CAI and axle backs. They sent it to Steeda for the tune. I loaded it and the engine went to fail safe. Called Mustang tuning and they want me to send it back for them to tune. Called SCT and one of their techs has been working with me by sending me adjusted tunes through e-mail. Ran out of time today. The tech has been very helpful and friendly. I am still having major pinging. I bought the Xcal 2 so I could do all my own adjusting. I can not. I basically can download a tune with it. That's about it. I have down loaded all current versions from their website. I also know they will be offering more and more updates. They have released it to soon I think.
Old 6/28/05, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

This sounds more like an issue with the tunes you've recieved, than the device itself. You say you can not adjust your own tuning.. how not?
Old 6/28/05, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

My understanding was I would be able to adjust timing, fuel curve, rev limit, turn off traction control etc. I am not able to do any of this. I have tried to adjust the tune on my PC and can not. Like I said, alls I can do is down load a tune onto it and then onto my car.

Originally posted by Zodiac@June 28, 2005, 7:28 PM
This sounds more like an issue with the tunes you've recieved, than the device itself. You say you can not adjust your own tuning.. how not?
Old 6/28/05, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

And the moral of the story is: always get your car dyno tuned. How is somone supposed to work with the car through the mail?
Old 6/28/05, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

why did steeda do the tune???what was wrong with the SCT canned tune??I thought the K&N did not affect anything.
Old 6/28/05, 08:47 PM
GT Member

whats the general vote on the SCT-2? is it good or bad? i mean a tunes a tune and obviously going to a performance shop will yield the most gains...but how are they out of the box?
Old 6/28/05, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Firedude@June 28, 2005, 8:00 PM
My understanding was I would be able to adjust timing, fuel curve, rev limit, turn off traction control etc. I am not able to do any of this. I have tried to adjust the tune on my PC and can not. Like I said, alls I can do is down load a tune onto it and then onto my car.
If you go to the SCT website, there's some downloads for the latest versions of software. Every single feature is not quite available yet. Have you downloaded the Extreme program? sctflash.com Tons of info there!
Old 6/28/05, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

why would they sell it without all the features working???I don't get that.
Old 6/28/05, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I would use a tuner if there was one in my city. Closest one is over 3 hours away. I have updated all of the latest on the website.
I have been running the K&N CAI for over 600 miles with no tune and no trap installed. No problems. Ran good. I wanted more like most redblooded americans. When I bought the Xcal 2 it did not come with the 3 tunes as advertised it came with one that was sold as custom to my application from mustangtuning who sent it to steeda. When that one did not work I then got a 91 octane tune without the CAI and it pings badly. I will continue to work with SCT through the mail and hope to get to a tuner some day. I just wish it had all the adjustability as advertised. I am sure it will someday.
Old 6/28/05, 09:47 PM

I did have similar trouble with my X-calibrator 1 when I first purhased it. The problem turned out to be a faulty cable from the x-calibrator to the OBD-II port. I didn't find this out for 2 months, several phone calls, removing my CPU from the car and overnight shipping it to SCT. I can understand your frustration. There must be something that can be addressed with your situation as well, the trouble is trying to identify the problem. I should be recieving my X-cal 2 this week. I am particularly interested in its data logging ability if there truly is one. I hope that it will help with tuning and monitoring intermittently of a supercharger.
Old 6/28/05, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

for what its worth. do you have your tune in an .xrt file that you can modify with exteme tune software? if so load it up on your computer, take 1 or 2 degrees of timing out in all ranges that ping and add some fuel just to be safe. download to the X2 and flash your car. I recomend that you disconecrt the battery for 20 minutes to clear all the codes before you ever start it with the new tune. do the retraining of the computer like in the owners manual. then see how it goes. I had a pinging problem and this is what I did untill I found out it was the Amoco gas I was using, switched to shell v-power and and no more pinging withe all the timing back in. Cheep gas is the leading cause of pinging, but you can tune to use it.
Old 6/28/05, 11:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Firedude@June 29, 2005, 4:49 AM
I would use a tuner if there was one in my city. Closest one is over 3 hours away. I have updated all of the latest on the website.
I have been running the K&N CAI for over 600 miles with no tune and no trap installed. No problems. Ran good. I wanted more like most redblooded americans. When I bought the Xcal 2 it did not come with the 3 tunes as advertised it came with one that was sold as custom to my application from mustangtuning who sent it to steeda. When that one did not work I then got a 91 octane tune without the CAI and it pings badly. I will continue to work with SCT through the mail and hope to get to a tuner some day. I just wish it had all the adjustability as advertised. I am sure it will someday.

i recomend you go back to your stock tune untill you get a tune for your CAI. the 91 octane tune for use without a CAI is going to lean out the slightly rich stock fuel/air ratio to get a litttle more power. the K&N CAI is feeding more air and will lean things out a bit as well. normally you need to add fuel for a CAI to get the fuel/air right, so by trying to use a tune that leans things out even more your going to have problems.
Old 6/28/05, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Satin Silver 05@June 28, 2005, 10:43 PM
for what its worth. do you have your tune in an .xrt file that you can modify with exteme tune software? if so load it up on your computer, take 1 or 2 degrees of timing out in all ranges that ping and add some fuel just to be safe. download to the X2 and flash your car. I recomend that you disconecrt the battery for 20 minutes to clear all the codes before you ever start it with the new tune. do the retraining of the computer like in the owners manual. then see how it goes. I had a pinging problem and this is what I did untill I found out it was the Amoco gas I was using, switched to shell v-power and and no more pinging withe all the timing back in. Cheep gas is the leading cause of pinging, but you can tune to use it.
Tried it. Does not offer all those choices. It will let you change timing but does not say at what RPM or anything. I won't use cheap gas, so I don't think that is it.
Old 6/29/05, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by zinn@June 28, 2005, 11:17 PM
i recomend you go back to your stock tune untill you get a tune for your CAI. the 91 octane tune for use without a CAI is going to lean out the slightly rich stock fuel/air ratio to get a litttle more power. the K&N CAI is feeding more air and will lean things out a bit as well. normally you need to add fuel for a CAI to get the fuel/air right, so by trying to use a tune that leans things out even more your going to have problems.
I am back to the stock tune. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 6/29/05, 12:03 AM
Cobra R Member

I have some issues with Diablo Sport in that i believe there is too much left to assumption. They assume you can read the owners manual and read between the lines. Maybe some can. I cannot. I have a difficult time understanding some of the lines there. I know to some of you it must be sand box simple

I would like to download tune info from the predator to my Dell and read what the settings are and log them so when I change the settings I can update the file. If it can be done I do not know how to do it.

If they would just give us an online manual supplement with step by step it would be a great improvement.

I as well as others would also like to see torque management ON or OFF in a new revision. Others have it why not D-S?

D-S has so many other markets and we are just a small segment I wonder if the company really has the time to address our needs.
Why will they not give us the same ability or tell us how to MOD the same way they do the dealers?
Dealers can make their cut from the sale and not charging us for MODs. That is not fair at all.

Why can't Diablo Sport require their Tuner Dealers prove they know what they are doing. Why should I be required to pay for dealer training on my GT? I have leaned to ask. How many 05 GTs have you done and give me a reference phone number because I want to see if he/she is a happy camper.
Dealer/Dyno tune shops will be happy to if they know the customer was pleased with their work. If they say none I respond OK I'll pay half price while you learn. One told me to go to #@*& the other said OK.

It will be interesting to see what others have to report on their experiences and how they weigh in on the whole subject and other units like SCT.
Old 6/29/05, 08:25 AM

Bret, there is a lot you can do with your tune, especially if you have it in a .xtr file. It just takes a little learning. You can also email your file to some of the guys on SCTflash.com and they will make corrections for you to whatever you want and email it right back.

I just received my wideband so I can datalog now. Now, I just have to wait on my car to get out of the dealership--Tranny TSB.
Old 6/29/05, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@June 29, 2005, 12:06 AM
I have some issues with Diablo Sport in that i believe there is too much left to assumption. They assume you can read the owners manual and read between the lines. Maybe some can. I cannot. I have a difficult time understanding some of the lines there. I know to some of you it must be sand box simple

I would like to download tune info from the predator to my Dell and read what the settings are and log them so when I change the settings I can update the file. If it can be done I do not know how to do it.

If they would just give us an online manual supplement with step by step it would be a great improvement.
I as well as others would also like to see torque management ON or OFF in a new revision. Others have it why not D-S?

D-S has so many other markets and we are just a small segment I wonder if the company really has the time to address our needs.
Why will they not give us the same ability or tell us how to MOD the same way they do the dealers?
Dealers can make their cut from the sale and not charging us for MODs. That is not fair at all.

Why can't Diablo Sport require their Tuner Dealers prove they know what they are doing. Why should I be required to pay for dealer training on my GT? I have leaned to ask. How many 05 GTs have you done and give me a reference phone number because I want to see if he/she is a happy camper.
Dealer/Dyno tune shops will be happy to if they know the customer was pleased with their work. If they say none I respond OK I'll pay half price while you learn. One told me to go to #@*& the other said OK.

It will be interesting to see what others have to report on their experiences and how they weigh in on the whole subject and other units like SCT.
No offense, but if you cannot understand the owners manual do you really think it is a good idea for you to have the ability to change aspects of the tune of your car on your PC beyond what the hand held tuner allows you to do?
As for "torque management", if you are referring to traction control, check page 20 of the manual.
Old 6/29/05, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks David. I have it in .XTR and have tweeked it alittle. It will not do much though. It will not take my tire size. It will not say where the timing I am taking out is. I have tried taking timing out a couple degrees at a time. Still pings. I was thinking I should be able to take timing out at different RPMS. I am sure that is in the future. SCT has been working with me by e-mail. Just can't seem to get it right. I am mostly just a little dissapointed that they do not have the features that they advertize yet. I am sure they were in a hurry to get it on the market. I am looking forword to seeing how you like your wide band. That is next on my list.
Old 6/29/05, 04:14 PM

Gus at Steeda is the one who has done my tunes so far. I know he could make your tune right. It's just a matter of either working with him on the phone and email or shipping him your handheld. The SCT guys offer great service as well. There's so much freakin info on there website that is way beyond my knowledge. I'm still learning. Once I get my car back, I'll be hooking up the wideband.
Why wouldn't SCT displace the XCal1 with the XCal2? You currently have a few more features than the Xcal1. Those that had the first one are excited about the 2nd one. When they get all the features available, it'll be even better. The Xcal2 will datalog alot faster than the Diablo-fact, not hearsay. Not that that's a feature that is important to the majority, but is to some. Just give them a little time and they'll have your tune correct and all the features available.
Old 6/29/05, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Shifty@June 28, 2005, 8:30 PM
And the moral of the story is: always get your car dyno tuned. How is somone supposed to work with the car through the mail?
My DTP tune with a JLT CAI runs like a mad man. And it was done over the internet. In fact I broke the tires lose while shifting to 2nd tonight, not just a chirp but a complete wheel spin and had to let off the gas to let it catch. I had my wife with me and I think i scared her.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with new SCT 2