GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

DiabloSport's Staff & Products

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/05, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yesterday I had the opportunity to take my vehicle to DiabloSport to be tuned. I am one of the fortunate few that live within driving distance (200 miles) of their facility. I was very impressed with both Scott and Cole’s knowledge and professionalism. I learned many things about both tuning and dyno results that previously I was not aware of. For example each vehicle responds differently to fuel, ignition timing, cam timing, etc. Concerning dyno results, those too can be misleading. No two manufacturers of dynos will produce the same results; all will be similar, but not identical. DiabloSport uses a Super Flow dyno, not Mustang or DynoJet. The conditions under which the dyno is performed will also change the results. Automatics must be tested differently than manuals. However, all of what I have previously mentioned about tuning and dyno procedures most of you already knew. Here is what most of you are interested in. The results!! Let me first give you some basic information:

Transmission Type: Automatic
Transmission gear selection during dyno: “D” with overdrive off
Traction Control: Off
Dyno: Super Flow – load bearing (not to be confused with a non-load bearing – it makes a difference)
Temperature/Humidity: 90.5 degrees F with 31% Humidity – not a perfect combination for producing horsepower. Can’t control Mother Nature though.
Performance Mods: C&L CAI, Predator 93 Octane Custom Tune for C&L CAI, Magnaflow Axleback Exhaust, and 4.10 gears

Results:
RWHP - 270
RWTQ - 267
A/F - 12.5

Scott and Cole worked diligently with combinations of ignition timing, fuel, cam timing, etc. to find the combination that was best for my vehicle. One note: the C&L CAI Custom Tune that is available online is designed to give safe and consistent results on many vehicles under a variety of variables.

There is no substitute for having the tune customized for your vehicle.
Old 4/24/05, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some Pictures
Old 4/24/05, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

And finally
Old 4/24/05, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yesterday I had the opportunity to take my vehicle to DiabloSport ...
LOVE the stripe on that color. I have torch red, and a white stripe just seems too "in your face" for this 48-year old. Your combo just seems right though. I prefer a bit more "not much show but a lotta go!", and the red already screams a bit. The next one will be mineral gray, I think, or black.

I think you're right--the public tune is designed to give MOST cars a good bang for the buck, but getting the car a custom dyno tune is the way to get the best bang for the buck on YOUR car.

My 18 year old is a mechanic in training at Lincoln Tech, and he's been telling me that all weekend. I should listen a bit more...

John
Old 4/24/05, 12:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to your previous dyno, did Scott have to adjust your A/F ratio or was the first dyno off?
Old 4/24/05, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

The previous dyno on Wednesday was inacurate. A/F was perfect when we pulled a baseline on Saturday at DiabloSport. Horsepower and torque were slightly lower due to the ambient air temp and humidity. Also did you notice that odd torque converter loop is gone. Not a problem if you are familiar with an 05 automatic. Most people think it's a four speed not a five speed. The original dyno was also done at an SCT dealer and they immediately wanted to sell me an Excalibrator, blaming my Predator for the problems. That was my concern and why I went to DiabloSport.
Old 4/24/05, 11:38 PM
Bullitt Member

car looks great... Scott is a great guy!

good luck with your '05
Old 4/25/05, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I too was at Diablo this past Saturday and I agree with Todd about Scott and Cole. I've had a long relation ship with Steeda and until I met Scott I considered them to have the most tuning expertise on mustangs. However after learning about Scott's experience with fords and seeing him in action I no longer feel that way. Unfortunately for Todd , they did my car first and Scott spent till around 4 PM on my car. So Todd had to sit around with me all day before they did his car :bang: . Todd , I'm really sorry and lunch is on me next time ...

I have the Steeda CAI and CM plates and the initial Diablo tune was having problems. After Scott worked his magic , it now drives smoother than the SCT tune and has more power. On the last dyno run we got 311 RWHP & 306 RWTQ. Scott did a baseline pull with the SCT tune and got the same 304 RWHP as my last time at Steeda , so that's an increase of 7 RWHP over it. Any body with my setup , this really a great tune now ...

Here's a picture Todd took for me of Scott and Cole working on my car ...
[attachmentid=19112]
Old 4/25/05, 03:21 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05YellowGT@April 25, 2005, 8:41 AM
I too was at Diablo this past Saturday and I agree with Todd about Scott and Cole. I've had a long relation ship with Steeda and until I met Scott I considered them to have the most tuning expertise on mustangs. However after learning about Scott's experience with fords and seeing him in action I no longer feel that way. Unfortunately for Todd , they did my car first and Scott spent till around 4 PM on my car. So Todd had to sit around with me all day before they did his car :bang: . Todd , I'm really sorry and lunch is on me next time ...

I have the Steeda CAI and CM plates and the initial Diablo tune was having problems. After Scott worked his magic , it now drives smoother than the SCT tune and has more power. On the last dyno run we got 311 RWHP & 306 RWTQ. Scott did a baseline pull with the SCT tune and got the same 304 RWHP as my last time at Steeda , so that's an increase of 7 RWHP over it. Any body with my setup , this really a great tune now ...

Here's a picture Todd took for me of Scott and Cole working on my car ...
[attachmentid=19112]
That's a decent power number difference between the two cars auto vs stick. The stick has a few more mods and 30+ more hp. I had my car on a dyno jet. Like one of you pointed out dyno's are different but I had 269hp with a 87 diablo tune - trap and that's it. I hope my CAI mod will add a good 15 rwhp over what I have now. Good luck. This tuning thing is tricky.
Old 4/26/05, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

05YellowGT...where did you get those rims? I like the deep look to them.
Old 4/26/05, 01:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by I8URVTEC@April 26, 2005, 3:11 PM
I got them at a place in Ft. Lauderdale called Good Roads. They make the wheels themselves and they were only $200 / ea , much cheaper than the other brand name wheels they sold. They seem to be pretty well made and the place I had them speed balanced on the car said they were straight and true. I'm not sure if they're a national company or just local one.
Old 4/26/05, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I'd just like to say that I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and have obtained a lot of valuable info along the way.

I live in Orlando, Florida and would be very interested in having my car tuned by the pros at Diablosport. I have the C&L intake and MAF along with the Predator tune. (Currently using r17, 91 octane C&L MAF tune.) I totally agree that nothings beats a specific tune for your vehicle.

My question is; Does Diablosport offer this service to anyone at that particular location, or are you guys part of their ongoing Research and Development?

Thanks and let's see more LIMES!!!
Old 4/26/05, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

You need to call and discuss that directly with Cole @ DiabloSport - (561)908-0040 ext. 212.
Old 4/26/05, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05YellowGT+April 26, 2005, 1:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05YellowGT @ April 26, 2005, 1:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-I8URVTEC@April 26, 2005, 3:11 PM
I got them at a place in Ft. Lauderdale called Good Roads. They make the wheels themselves and they were only $200 / ea , much cheaper than the other brand name wheels they sold. They seem to be pretty well made and the place I had them speed balanced on the car said they were straight and true. I'm not sure if they're a national company or just local one.
[/b][/quote]

Would happen to have the tel # for Good Roads? Also, you had the car tuned at Diablo in Delray, FL correct?

NEVERMIND, I found the tel# for Good Roads and the address for Diablo.