GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Delete Plates + Underdrive pullies vs. Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/08, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delete Plates + Underdrive pullies vs. Driveshaft

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some performance upgrades this summer, and basically it's come down to the delete plates and udp's vs. an aluminum driveshaft. Which would be the most worthwhile "butt-o-meter" modification?
Old 3/30/08, 01:09 AM
Cobra Member

You have delete plates on your car already. just pull the manifold, pop the butterflies off of the rails in the charge motion plates, disconnect the motor from the plates and turn them parallel with the airflow. bam. free cmdp's

I have dynoed this setup, and also the steeda plates and there is NO difference at all. save your money.

I have been researching the driveshafts and they seem to make a big difference, more so than pullies. troll the classifieds in the various forums. you can usually pick up pullies for about $120 and driveshafts in the $400 range. this way if you end up reselling you get most if not all your money back..

just my opinion.
Old 3/30/08, 07:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I vote for pullies with driveshaft.
I will probably do this to mine next year.
Old 3/30/08, 09:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karlmalone1
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some performance upgrades this summer, and basically it's come down to the delete plates and udp's vs. an aluminum driveshaft. Which would be the most worthwhile "butt-o-meter" modification?
Well I have delete plates and UDP's I'm installing a Shaftmaster 4'' aluminum drive shaft this weekend....I'll be finding out in a couple days what kinda difference there is......
Old 3/30/08, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I installed the delete plates and pulleys. I can't feel much difference, so I am going to the dyno to see. I guess I can't feel 10hp difference. So I have decided to pass on the Meiziere water pump. I can't see spending another $400 for something I can't notice the difference. So I too am looking at other options like suspension parts and wheel/tire combos.
Old 3/30/08, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
this is a tough question if you ask me...... Last year I installed pullies and delete plates and felt a good increase in power. I say "good increase" because I think too many people are looking for neck-snapping acceleration out of these mods and you're not going to get that from anything! (well, except for a blower)

This winter I installed a driveshaft and although the car definetely revs faster I'm not sure if it "felt" any faster or not.... Don't misinterpret what I'm saying, I think it's a worth-while mod but again don't expect mind blowing differences.

At the end of the day, some people have had vibration issues depending on what brand of shaft is installed; if I was a buyer again, based on that consumer info, I would likely do the pullies and delete plates first.
Old 3/30/08, 07:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have all three mods but I felt the most performance from the delete plates. If I had to give up one of the 3 it would be the delete plates because you can't run a stock tune anymore. Something to think about.
Old 3/30/08, 07:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know my vote...vvvvv
Old 3/31/08, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I want to give my second opinion. At first, I was expecting great things out off my $400 purchase of delete plates and UDPs. I didn't really feel it like the CAI/Tune. But after further testing, I have concluded I was looking for the wrong thing. What the CMDP/UDP provides is smooth, consistent, faster increase in RPMs. BTW, dyno results as early as tomorrow.
Old 3/31/08, 11:04 PM

thanks guys for the input, i think i'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger in a couple of months here.
Old 3/31/08, 11:19 PM

Hey Reverend, what's the benefit from choosing just the steeda billet delete plates for $300 over the economy plates for $130? Any real difference in horsepower?
Old 4/1/08, 12:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by karlmalone1
Hey Reverend, what's the benefit from choosing just the steeda billet delete plates for $300 over the economy plates for $130? Any real difference in horsepower?
I believe the steeda billet plates are pre-drilled for nitrous injection. no difference in power at all. for that matter just pulling the butterflies out of the stock plates and leaving the rod will give you the same result as delete plates for free (you will need a tune, and also make sure you flip the rails so they dont impede airflow)
Old 4/1/08, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

The billet delete plates have a larger port opening. I picked them up used off of these forums for $200 shipped. They also don't have the left over holes, etc. I wanted to go to the dyno today, but with April 1st being April fools, I will wait until at least Thursday.
Old 4/1/08, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
... too many people are looking for neck-snapping acceleration out of these mods and you're not going to get that from anything! (well, except for a blower)
Don't forget gears. Switching to 4.10's from 3.55's turned my stang into a bucking horse!

My mistake was installing UDP's, CMDP's, and 1-pc DS right afterwards. The gears overshadowed all 3 mods in the SOTP category.
Old 4/1/08, 08:57 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Don't forget gears. Switching to 4.10's from 3.55's turned my stang into a bucking horse!

My mistake was installing UDP's, CMDP's, and 1-pc DS right afterwards. The gears overshadowed all 3 mods in the SOTP category.
Hey Bill are you planning on keeping the 4.10's with the SC. I ask because I'm considering SC and have the 4.10's also and really don't want to change gears again.
Old 4/1/08, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by The Reverend
The billet delete plates have a larger port opening.
I had heard this rumor too but find it hard to believe since they both use the same factory gaskets around each port- even if they are bigger, it can't be by much and the factory plates are the same size openings as the factory manifold, so even having larger plate openings would not be beneficial.
Old 4/1/08, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Hey Bill are you planning on keeping the 4.10's with the SC. I ask because I'm considering SC and have the 4.10's also and really don't want to change gears again.
Contrary to popular belief, I'm keeping the 4.10's!
Old 4/1/08, 09:23 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Contrary to popular belief, I'm keeping the 4.10's!
Just curious are you thinking because its a Centri you'll have slightly (only slightly) less torque and hp on the low end which will cause the tires to keep grip as opposed to a twin screw that others have had issue with?
Old 4/1/08, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

From what I hear around these parts is, go for a turbo instead of a supercharger. So you won't have to switch later.
Old 4/1/08, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Just curious are you thinking because its a Centri you'll have slightly (only slightly) less torque and hp on the low end which will cause the tires to keep grip as opposed to a twin screw that others have had issue with?
That idea did come into play. However, had I gone TS, I still would've kept the 4.10's. I plan to solve most of my (future) traction problems by going with some decent size meats out back.

Now..

Quick Reply: Delete Plates + Underdrive pullies vs. Driveshaft