GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dealer states they can tell tuned then set back

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/05, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to do a tune with minor mods. CAI, Rem HC trap and 4.1 gears drop rev limiter, top speed governor etc. with SCT excaliber tune from dyno shop.

Say I need warranty service for something and switch the CAI and HC trap back and reset back to original specs. The dealer swears if I ever need any warranty service and if I do a tune and reset it back their equipment can pick it up (even if I leave the battery disconnected for awhile as posted in another thread). They will not honor the warranty if it is something that could possibly been from the mods (in their opinion).

The tune shop I have been speaking to says they can't tell because the computer is reflashed back to roiginal specs and shows as if it was never tuned at all.

This is very important to me "Who Is Right"?
Old 2/27/05, 06:36 PM

Well, I wouldn't be doing any warranty work with that dealer. Obviously, wrong or right, they'd be gunning for you. I personally am not sweating it. When and if something goes wrong, I'll deal with it then. If I do a mod and something breaks related to it, then I should be able to pay to fix whatever it is I broke. I wouldn't put a supercharger on my car unless I was ready to drop 4-6000 bucks to repair it. This is how one keeps from getting in a pickle-financially. Everyone has opinions -some thought to be fact-about how the warranty works. If you can't pay to fix it, don't do it. I'm putting slicks on my car, revving it to 5 grand and will most likely end up dumping the clutch! I'd be pretty stupid if I don't expect to replace the rear end, driveshaft or tranny. Think worst case scenario and don't create the issue. Sorry, I know you don't need to be preached at...these are just thoughts, floating around my brain....again-a scary place!
Old 2/27/05, 06:44 PM
FR500 Member

Good point. If the warranty is that important to you, I say don't mess with it.

If you're willing to front repairs that may have been covered under warranty, then go for it.

It is this very reason I didn't go with any extended warranties. I looked at it as money wasted as I know things can get dicey with warranties and mods.
Old 2/27/05, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't buy it to wait and see if something will break. It is just the chance you take, however big that may be for you. To answer your question though my tuner said he thinks if you reflash the CPU back to factory that it takes a certain amount of miles for the computer to reregister that tune to where the Ford techs can't tell. Like you I've heard many different things but am willing to roll the dice to customize my mustang as I see fit...
Old 2/27/05, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

can they tell.....yes!..

working for Banks, we do alot of computer programming products for diesel stuff and some gas performance chips.They can see if a product was on there, no matter WHAT / or who's product it is, they will see it!
Old 2/27/05, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Find a dealer that doesn't care. I've know at least one (non-Ford) dealer who will work on a car under warranty regardless of the mods.
Old 2/27/05, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, they can see.....took mine in for a tranny look a while back and they saw ALL my work but also the SCT tune....they gave me no problems and fixed my issue under warranty....

John
Old 2/28/05, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to run mine the way it comes for a couple months to make sure there are no problems. During that time I'm going to check around a few places to see if anyone wouldn't care about the mods I'm planning and still do warranty work.

Good news is the shop I'm planning to do my tunes is also licensed in my state for emission inspections. He told me as long as I leave the cats alone and the computer codes are ok after the mods and flash the car would pass the emission inspection.

We do computer and visual testing not tailpipe in PA.
Old 2/28/05, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
650pony,

That's the same approach I'm going to take. I'm going to leave the car pretty much alone until I get 3k miles on it. After that, I will add the CAI and tune and go from there. I just want to make sure there are no issues with my car. If they haven't surfaced by 3k miles, I should be good baring anything REAL weird.
Old 2/28/05, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok here is the deal with warranty work. They cannot void your entire warranty if your car has been tuned. They can refuse to warranty certain parts but not the entire warranty. If you put a tune on the car and the air conditioner stops working then obviously that has nothing to do with the tune. If you have your car tuned and it runs lean and you blow it up then you need some money for fund the rebuild project. Dont let the dealer bully you . They are gonna tell you that you cant do this or that and say oh your whole warranty is voided. Well guess what they are wrong. Have it tuned and be happy.
Old 2/28/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

My deaership (Jacky Jones) in Cleveland,Ga. is pretty hip. They got 3 to 4 Sallens there and do custom striping and louvres. Well antway they told me that they DO know if your computer chip was flashed even if you set it back to original after the fact. Scary
Old 2/28/05, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@February 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
Dont let the dealer bully you . They are gonna tell you that you cant do this or that and say oh your whole warranty is voided. Well guess what they are wrong. Have it tuned and be happy.
They were not stating the whole warranty would be void.
I'm sure if the seat or power top broke they would fix it no problem.

I don't like if they deemed the problem was due to the tune is what I'm concerned about. They could classify alot of things not having to do with the tune.

Just too vague and leaves alot of room for arguement.
Old 2/28/05, 03:34 PM
3rd Times A Charm

It should depend on your mechanical skills as well. If you know enough about your car, it would be a contributing factor to go warranty or not. I personally went with the warranty because you never know with new model vehicles. I don't neccesarily agree with the 3k mile theory. You can have plenty of problems after 3K. IMO.

Maybe I'm just a worry wort. But I know it has kept me away from the mods so far.
Old 2/28/05, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

Some people (I am not pointing fingers, just saying in general, especially from my friends) believe that warranty should cover all points of abuse.

For instance, my buddy was power shifting his 2003 Acura RSX Type-S. Needed a new synchro. Apparently though this is a very common problem with this car. He had the car back all but a week and a half. Has been power shifting ever since. I get a call last night "I have no more second gear." Nada, clicks in place, doesn't do anything. The technician replaced everything between 1st and 3rd gear in that trans, although it did whine when he got it back. So, now, the technician is probably going to have to eat the labor on this job because my buddy is an a-hole.

When you modify your car, or drive like an a-hole and abuse it, your stuff shouldn't be covered under warranty. You shouldn't have to take your stuff off before you go to the dealer, that is wrong. If you have a problem that they could normally associate with your modification, then why should you take it off and have them eat it?
Old 2/28/05, 03:43 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I agree with Brett to SOME extent. But I think that if you shelled out the $ for the warranty and the $ for the mods, take them off if you need to. I'm curious on how you feel about changing parts out for emissions. I live in CA and we have some crazy emissions laws. We now have to take a dyno test.
Old 2/28/05, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

The technicians and the dealers dont eat anything on warranty issues. Actually warranty work pays the dealership more money. Mainly because they can get done with the work in a really short time but charge for a long time. I have a buddy who is a ford tech and put a new clutch and also the rear gear as warranty work.
Old 2/28/05, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have no plans to abuse the car (I'm not referring to anyone pointing a finger my way). I am 45 years old 2 almost grown kids and pretty settled down in my ways. I am very comfortable around the older engines (pre fuel injection and computer controlling everything).

Just something I want to try and see how well I can improve an already awesome car with some mods that the factory can't do due to federal regs.

I want to see what kind of dynos and track times I can get (never driven on a track in my life) not for competition, just to see. I won't be racing any of those ricers that challenge but want to be able to kick a** into it and get ahead if they make me angry.
Old 2/28/05, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@February 28, 2005, 5:57 PM
The technicians and the dealers dont eat anything on warranty issues. Actually warranty work pays the dealership more money. Mainly because they can get done with the work in a really short time but charge for a long time. I have a buddy who is a ford tech and put a new clutch and also the rear gear as warranty work.
Umm... I worked as a Ford tech for a little while. If we screwed something up, and it came back, we ate it. If Technician A puts your trans together, and you come back for a trans problem, you better come up with a darn good excuse as to why it happened, and why it wasn't your fault.

In my story, my friend just had all the components of his 2nd gear replaced a week and a half ago. Now, from him power shifting, it doesn't go into 2nd gear at all. The technician WILL be blamed for this, as this had no reason to fail, especially since my buddy is not going to go in to the service department and say "Hey man, I was power shifting and now it won't go into gear." Is it the techs fault? It could be. Maybe he forgot to tighten something down. Probably not though. I betcha he is gonna get pissed when the job he just did that paid 9 hours comes back and he gets to do it all again for free.
Old 3/2/05, 08:22 PM

I worked at the Lincoln-Mercury dealer for 20 years. As service manager, I can tell you that neither the dealer nor the techs get paid for comebacks. Also, Ford is one of the worst manufacturers when it comes to fair labor times for warranty repairs. Ford is, and has been, screwing techs in this area for a long time. Dealers do not make their money on warranty repairs. Customer pay is where it's at.

I never hassled any customers with warranty on modified vehicles, as long as their mod had nothing to do with their concern. It is hard enough for the techs to make a decent living and deal with all the b.s. in the car business without having to cure a drivabilty problem on a modded engine or suspension rattles on a lowered vehicle. Not all dealerships are fair, but they are not all jerks either.

For anyone who hasn't purchased their Mustang yet, consider the dealer's service reputation before buying a vehicle from them. It might be worth driving a few extra miles or paying a hundred bucks more for the car , to deal with someone who is willing to work with you.
Old 3/2/05, 08:46 PM
Banned

After reading all of the posts, I don't think that anyone could have summed it up better than jmgford...thanks for the post.
-I was about ready to say the same thing....If you mod it and it breaks shame on ford, but if you abuse it and it breaks shame on you.
Let the working man earn a decent pay check.

Quick Reply: Dealer states they can tell tuned then set back