GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Deal or No Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/06 | 04:23 PM

Deal or No Deal?

I received my XCAL2/JLT combo from Doug yesterday. I haven't loaded the tunes yet though. One reason being I didn't get the 89 tune I requested. I'm waiting on Doug to return my email. The other reason is that I'm concerned about my car running lean. There is no dyno in my area. A Ford dealership close by agreed to check the a/f ratio for me for a little over $100. Is this a good deal? Also, do they have the proper equipment to do so? Be gentle. I'm new to modding.
Old 5/19/06 | 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

With the hundreds of people that have purchased from Doug without any issues, I wouldn't really worry about your a/f ratio.
Old 5/19/06 | 06:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok, what tunes did he send you? You can always load a 87 tune if you got one. You cannot load a higher tune, unless you have run your tank almost dry, refill with the desired tune octane, run it down to below half and refill again. After all that, you can load the desired tune.

For the second part, Your car should not run lean with a tune from Bama. Just do what I suggested in the first part. I would not spend 100 bucks on a tune check. I don't think anyone of us had a problem with a tune from him running lean. Make sure you torque the sensor in the new JLT pipe according to his specifications.

Also, you do not need to pull the fuses, I do all my tunes before I have driven the car, so the fan will not cut on during the tune. Turn your radio and a/c fan to off. Shut the door and tune away.

This is the easiest mod to do. I know it does not seem like it, but you will gain confidence as you do more and more. I took photos as I did each mod so I can look back at how she transformed over time.