GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Day at Brenspeeds and Comp cam install

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/08, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Day at Brenspeeds and Comp cam install

Hey Guys,
Well I am back home after spending the day at Brenspeeds yesterday with 3 of my Midwestern buddies for my Comp Cams NSR install and custom dyno tune.
The absolute first thing I need to do is thank Brent White/owner of Brenspeed...Dave/the awesome cam installer...And Seth/youngster with alot of knowledge... for the "over the top" amount of effort they put in to accommodate 3 of us Midwestern guys. I can not say enough about their committment to all of us Mustangers. They all came in to work before 6:30 AM to make the customers happy. On their plate yesterday was...The custom dyno tune Larry's car (Aircare84) at no later then 7 am. Next after Larry was Ben's car(Eleanor Dreaming). He was up for a Comp Cams (NSR), BBK throttle body, C&L racer intake, Steeda delete plates, and an increase to a 100 hp shot of nitrous and custom dyno tune. Last was my Comp Cams NSR install and custom dyno tune. It was a long day for all of us but mostly for the guys @ Brenspeed. I will post the dyno runs of Larry's, Ben's and my car on the dyno after all the work was done. I only hope that Dave can straighten his back out today after 12 hrs and 2 cam installs yesterday. First vid is of Larry's car on the dyno...most of you were still in bed at this time..

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rstdynorun.flv

Next after like 5 hrs of install time by Dave is Ben's car with his new cams,throttle body, delete plates, C&L racer intake and 100 hp shot. That thing put down like 385/445 on the squeeze!!

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...0horseshot.flv

Finally is my car after the cam install and custom dyno tune. Also a before and after vid of my car at idle with the Comp cams and with stockers. I did gain a little bit of lope!! Hope you can hear it.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...ftercams-1.flv

Before and after idle...

Before
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...GTAsatidle.flv

After

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...thCompcams.flv

Doesn't sound like the BBK's but I don't think they put down this amount of power.

Now for my numbers. In Oct on Brenspeeds dyno I put down 277.93 hp/294.11 torque. Than I added Steeda delete plates, OBX longtubes and Comp NSR Cams. My new numbers are 314.84 / 311.49. That is with proper rounding a gain of 37 hp / 17 torque at the wheels peak to peak. At 6000 rpm I gained 41 hp / 0 torque. Needless to say I could not be happier with the results. And remember guys I am running these numbers with an auto trans! She is truely a N/A beast now!!

I drove home this morning around 200 miles and averaged 22.3 MPG on this cruddy winter gas. So when your cruising I seeing no downside. Remember guys these are the cams that Brespeend developed with Comp Cams to get the most power without changing the stock valve springs. They are a very big savings in labor for the install. And according to Dave they really don't give up any horsepower to the others that require springs. The last thing I told them at Brenspeed last night was how tickled I was with the final results and how I was sure they were going to go far in the future. Thanks to all at Brenspeed!!! And last but not least Tom281 was there with us and picked up his car yesterday morning from having his new monster Saleen blower installed at Brenspeed this past week. He truely has a monster now...I went for a ride and picked up some pizzas for everyone and all I got done doing was trying to un-pin myself from the passenger seatbelt. He'd get on it...push me in the seat.... and that **** seatbelt kept locking on me pinning me to the seat. He has quite the beast now!!
Scott
Old 2/16/08, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Great numbers Scott! It was great being there with you guys..... Thanks to Brenspeed for actually putting up with 4 of us most of the day!
Old 2/16/08, 01:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet you have a big grin on your face Scott.

I'm glad I don't have a shop like Brenspeed near me or I would be broke.
Old 2/16/08, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Scott,
Great numbers
I see yours was as loud as mine too
Posted my sheet on the dyno numbers thread.
Old 2/16/08, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 2/16/08, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Scott,
Great numbers
I see yours was as loud as mine too
Posted my sheet on the dyno numbers thread.

I need to take my dyno sheet to work on Monday and scan it so I can post it. I will post the one that Brent made that has my dyno run in Oct laid in with yesterdays run. It is very easy to see how and where these cams make their power. They continue to make power all the way to redline instead of giving up at 5500rpm
Old 2/16/08, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If only Brenspeed were closer

But there is Amazon racing which is about 3 hours away
Old 2/16/08, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Scott the cams sound great and the mod is outstanding!

So obviously with more HP you can feel it when you step on the gas and GO but do the new cams spin up better or I guess I'm just wondering want kind of change is most noticeable with them?

Good deal all around Scott. The Midwest contingent is giving the left coast boys a run for there money

We need a good tune shop here in Houston, I also wish Brenspeed was closer, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
Old 2/16/08, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Scott the cams sound great and the mod is outstanding!

So obviously with more HP you can feel it when you step on the gas and GO but do the new cams spin up better or I guess I'm just wondering want kind of change is most noticeable with them?

Good deal all around Scott. The Midwest contingent is giving the left coast boys a run for there money

We need a good tune shop here in Houston, I also wish Brenspeed was closer, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

By far the biggest improvement is at 4000 rpm and up to 6500 rpm. But they start their gains as low as 2500 rpm. You can see it easily in the dyno graph. As far as the way it drives...pretty normal under easy acceleration. Definitely gain a tad of lopely idle. Could really hear it in the drivethru today. But hammer it and it spins to redline in first and second then gives a nice side slip when it hits third. It just plain screams above 4000 rpm. Ohhh...another tweak Brent made is in my shift points of 1,2 & 3rd gear. Regardless of mph my trans will stay in all those gears until it reachs 3000 rpm. He has his personal auto car set at 4000 rpm before it shifts into the next gear. It is very much like driving a manual. His setting seemed a little high to me. But I can see 3500 being about perfect!! For $1,000 bucks installed this is a very, very worhtwhile mod to make!!
Old 2/16/08, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sure would be nice to have Indiana's emissions standards in Kalifornia.
Old 2/16/08, 03:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
we arent tested at all.
Old 2/16/08, 03:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
It sure would be nice to have Indiana's emissions standards in Kalifornia.

What standards........ Rich, we were tested every other year here in Clark County, Ohio for over 24 years. They decided last year to close the facilities and not test anymore because the air quality had not improved one little bit in all those years. I would imagine it was because all that bad air from you guys out west was blowing this way!! :-)
Old 2/16/08, 04:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are some nice numbers Scott! I bet that thing moves. Now hold on a sec.....did you say tom got a saleen blower
Old 2/16/08, 04:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yep he did.
Old 2/16/08, 04:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Those are some nice numbers Scott! I bet that thing moves. Now hold on a sec.....did you say tom got a saleen blower

Ohhh yeah...He sold the Vortech and went Saleen. He's young but not.... Just teasing you Adam. Go here....http://brenspeed.com/tom/MOV00111.MPG I know there is another thread somewhere but I can't find it at the moment!! Help Tom!!!!
Scott
Old 2/16/08, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great results! I also plan to get these cams and hope to have Brenspeed install them this spring!
Old 2/16/08, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
What standards........ Rich, we were tested every other year here in Clark County, Ohio for over 24 years. They decided last year to close the facilities and not test anymore because the air quality had not improved one little bit in all those years. I would imagine it was because all that bad air from you guys out west was blowing this way!! :-)
Old 2/16/08, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Great stuff.... did you add magnaflows as well or did you stick to GTA's?
Old 2/16/08, 08:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Ohhh yeah...He sold the Vortech and went Saleen. He's young but not.... Just teasing you Adam. Go here....http://brenspeed.com/tom/MOV00111.MPG I know there is another thread somewhere but I can't find it at the moment!! Help Tom!!!!
Scott
Either way 400+RWHP=... thats prety sweet that he got the saleen. I was talking to my tuner about a whipple swapbut I will most likely keep my paxton because I really do love it...
Old 2/16/08, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

you old farts to funny... great sound with the new cam

Quick Reply: Day at Brenspeeds and Comp cam install