GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cutting weight to go faster...

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 06:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Part of my go-fast formula will be to lighten the car. I am talking about mine (the '06 stick) not hers!

I have done the rear seat delete (to include removing rear seat belts and added brackets). I removed my rear sub box and the amps. I replaced the spare tire with a can of fix a flat. I will buy a Aluminum driveshaft (I have been emailing a few manufacturers). I will get a Spec 3+ clutch and Aluminum Flywheel.

So, what I have done so far:

seat delete
rear sub & amps
spare tire
drive shaft
flywheel

I would like you to chime in with more that I can do.
How much do the logs weigh vs. LT headers? How much less do after market mufflers weigh?
I plan on getting LT headers but I see more competition coming which I think will bring their price down. (I am waiting for it.)

Thank you.
Old 2/24/06, 06:53 PM
FR500 Member

Ditch the factory seats and put light weight buckets - if you got serious $$$, go with carbon-shelled seats. Carbon fiber drive shaft, Tubular K member, and replacing control arms will also save a few pounds. Don't know if a composite hood and trunk lid - fiberglass or carbon fiber - would offer signifigant weight savings but might be worth a look. Does anyone make composite fenders - other than the ricey Hotwheels kit? Hope this helps a bit.
Old 2/24/06, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GIG4FUN @ February 24, 2006, 8:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Part of my go-fast formula will be to lighten the car. I am talking about mine (the '06 stick) not hers!

I have done the rear seat delete (to include removing rear seat belts and added brackets). I removed my rear sub box and the amps. I replaced the spare tire with a can of fix a flat. I will buy a Aluminum driveshaft (I have been emailing a few manufacturers). I will get a Spec 3+ clutch and Aluminum Flywheel.

So, what I have done so far:

seat delete
rear sub & amps
spare tire
drive shaft
flywheel
I would like you to chime in with more that I can do.
How much do the logs weigh vs. LT headers? How much less do after market mufflers weigh?
I plan on getting LT headers but I see more competition coming which I think will bring their price down. (I am waiting for it.)

Thank you.
[/b][/quote]
alright now we are talking my language the rad support and AJE k-members lost about 80-100lbs on my car. the d/shaft loses about 20-30 "rotating" lbs. this equals about 150lbs of static weight! i gained a solid .2 from this alone. the carbon shaft is strong but not any lighter than the aluminumversions now availible. the front race seats will lose about 75 lbs. also i have seen some batteries that claim to weigh in at 12-15 lbs. that's another 20lbs off the nose. wheels and tires are the biggest gain for weight reduction. my bogarts and m/t's are 100lbs lighter than the stock bullits and pirellis. 40lbs of this is rotating driveline weight(rears) again that equal to losing 200lbs of static weight. i have heard of guys gaining 3-4 tenths of a second 1/4 mile with just a change to drag wheels and tires. i'm hoping my car is now around 3300lbs or so. my goal is 3100lbs but not sure if that is possible and keeping it streetable.
oh race brake systems (drag setups mainly) can lose another 75 lbs with about 15-20 being the rotating variety.
just some ideas. set a goal then work for it. if not you may waste lots of time and money trying untested ideas and parts.
Old 2/24/06, 07:39 PM
GT Member

I was searching for AJE rad support and K member and found this at Modded Mustangs:

I DO NOT know what year this Mustang was, I KNOW our stock drive shaft is a lot more. If anyone has the s197 weights please add to this thread.

Stock K-member with stock A-arms - 79 lbs
Stock spindle and brakes (V8) - 51 lbs each side
Stock complete 8.8 rear axle (with brakes) - 183 lbs
Complete 8.8 with Mark Williams Ultra lite axles, spool, yoke, bracing, coil over mounts and Aerospace disc brakes - 181lbs
AJE chromoly K-member - 16 lbs
AJE 2" drop spindle - 9 lbs each
AJE tubular control arms with adjustable rod ends - 5lbs each
AJE 150lb coil over spring and strut cartridge - 10 lbs each
Stock front springs (V8) - 10 lbs each
Stock rear springs (V8) - 9 lbs each
Stock front seats and seat brackets - 36 lbs each
Polyethelyne drag seats w/aluminum mounting brackets - 12 lbs each
Stock rear lower control arms - 7 lbs each
Stock rear upper control arms - 3 lbs each
QA1 Proma Star coil over shock assembly - 8 lbs each
Heater assembly - 28 lbs
Sound deadener - 22 lbs
Sound deadening tar (stuck to floors and trund area) - 23 lbs
Aerospace front disc brake assembly (4 piston) - 14 lbs each
15x3.5 Weld Draglite wheel - 10 lbs each
15x10 Weld Draglite wheel - 14 lbs each
26x4.5-15 Mickey Thompson ET Front - 12 lbs each
stock master cylinder - 8 lbs
stock battery - 47 lbs
stock driveshaft - 19 lbs
Aerospace master cylinder kit - 3 lbs
Optima 8022-091 Battery - 35 lbs
Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft - 14 lbs

****** ----> spyder7724 ?where? did you buy your AJE parts?

Thank you for the contributions guys.
Old 2/24/06, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

The stock 05 driveshaft is about 49 Ib's. My one piece aluminum driveshaft is about 17 Ib's. The stock hood is aluminum and very light, in fact my fiberglass hood is about 8 Ibs heavier. Just some in-put... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I am thinking about getting the rear seat delete myself. How does everyone like it?
Old 2/26/06, 09:47 AM
GT Member

I'm bumping it today to get a few more of your ideas.

Thank you everyone.
Old 2/26/06, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GIG4FUN @ February 26, 2006, 11:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm bumping it today to get a few more of your ideas.

Thank you everyone.
[/b][/quote]
call derik at JPC racing. they hooked me up with everything. i actually got my a-arms shortened 1.5" so that my wheels don't stick out as much as everyone elses when running the bogarts. it didn't semm to change drivability but i did have to fab up some custom camber plates. when i run the stock w/t combo i use a 1.25" spacer to get the stocks to look normal again. check it out.
Old 2/26/06, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegasjay @ February 24, 2006, 9:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The stock 05 driveshaft is about 49 Ib's. My one piece aluminum driveshaft is about 17 Ib's. The stock hood is aluminum and very light, in fact my fiberglass hood is about 8 Ibs heavier. Just some in-put... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I am thinking about getting the rear seat delete myself. How does everyone like it?
[/b][/quote]

Justin is that a JPC driveshaft or did you use the shortened FRPP ranger drivershaft. I am going to add a driveshaft when I do my gear next month. 32 lbs is a fairly large weight reduction, especially since it's rotational mass. Any difference in driveability or anything you can add???
Old 2/26/06, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 26, 2006, 11:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Justin is that a JPC driveshaft or did you use the shortened FRPP ranger drivershaft. I am going to add a driveshaft when I do my gear next month. 32 lbs is a fairly large weight reduction, especially since it's rotational mass. Any difference in driveability or anything you can add???
[/b][/quote]

It's the shortened FRPP Ranger shaft...The only way you know it's there is it accelerates quicker. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] No added vibration or issues at all. If you need dimensions and part #'ers PM me as I have all the data for it.
Old 2/27/06, 08:29 AM
FR500 Member

This is all really good info. One question I have... is anyone else replacing their stock spare tire with a can of fix-a-flat? I had thought about doing this, but heard bad things about fix-a-flat... like it ruins your tires. Just wondering if taking the spare out is really practical. If so, I may do that myself. I'm trying to shave a bit of weight off myself.

Also, what's the best (lightest) battery out there to get? Justin, how much does your Optima weigh? And how much was it?
Old 2/27/06, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

When I took the stock mufflers off to paint them, I weighed them at 14lbs each.
Old 2/27/06, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I just saw a company in MM&FF that sells carbon fiber hood and DOORS...it's called SEIBON
Old 2/27/06, 10:39 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eat a few less cheeseburgers
Old 2/27/06, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ February 27, 2006, 12:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
eat a few less cheeseburgers
[/b][/quote]

this goes hand in hand with purging before a race, and taking out the headrests
Old 2/27/06, 01:18 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drink a gallon of Metamucil
Old 2/27/06, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

donate blood
Old 2/27/06, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Hahaha I am still laughin' at you guys! You crack me up.

I regress:
At lunch today I was a few minutes late to the break room and one of the guys asked everyone if I was out sleeping in my car...(we sometimes do because we get up at 3:45am and you know every bit of shut eye helps....) anyway. then one of my "friends" pipes up... "oh no he can't be...he took the seats out".. Man did I catch pooe when I did get in the break room.... I made it clear that it was a professional manufactured "seat delete kit" that took their place...then they had one more good idea.... "take out her seat!" well I was on the cell phone with here checking each of our days et cetera (she heard it...Ugh!).... well I DO NOT THINK THAT I am being weird about cutting weight on the horse.. AND I am also on a diet. I have lost 6lb.s in two weeks.....(15 more to go). dirty fella's razzin me.....I suppose the wife will not help me weigh the "off" parts anymore... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Well then back to the topic:

My spare weighed in at 30 lb.s on the nose. I think the rim is aluminum! my car has 18's but the spare said it was 17". I replaced it with a can of fix-a-flat and one of those kits that has the goopy rope and two rasp/push-pull install type of things with handles with the idea being to repair a hole if the thing is leaking too bad. I left the jack in the car and the lug wrench. Yeah the fix/flat may be a bad thing BUT not as bad as NOT having it if you don't have a spare!

Well then, That's how I roll [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/flag.gif[/img]
Old 2/27/06, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I have slept in my car a few times and no matter what I ALWAYS seem to set off the alarm via the motion detectors. I sleep with keys in hand hehe

Although the last time I slept in there, I had a horrible nightmare about rolling down a hill in it and not being able to stop because I was paralyzed... i woke yelling NOOOOOOOO haha
Old 2/27/06, 05:30 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomic_il @ February 27, 2006, 6:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have slept in my car a few times and no matter what I ALWAYS seem to set off the alarm via the motion detectors. I sleep with keys in hand hehe

Although the last time I slept in there, I had a horrible nightmare about rolling down a hill in it and not being able to stop because I was paralyzed... i woke yelling NOOOOOOOO haha
[/b][/quote]
I set them off a few times before I realized that it appears to arm after the courtesy battery time stuff goes out. It is amazing how much better I can feel after a 20 min snooze...

Guys, Any update on the battery weight?
Old 3/2/06, 07:15 AM
FR500 Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bump.gif[/img]

VegasJay... or anyone else with an aftermarket battery... any info you guys can give me/us on the weight and price of your battery would be great.

Quick Reply: Cutting weight to go faster...