GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Corsa Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/06, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corsa Install Question

I just need to know what the trick is to aligning these bad boys. I installed them today in about an hour but the passanger side is just a tad longer and haning lower.

I did just as the instructions said and after I had everthing on started the final tighting sequence from the front at the mid pipe to the back, and I still can't get it where I want. It's about a quater inch low and an quater inch out farther than the driver's side.

On a side note I am very pleased with the over all quality and sound of these puppies. Quite at cruising speed but head turning when the peddle is mashed. I'm glad I waited to here them all in person, and dang those tips are sweet.
Old 5/29/06, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Keep playing with the over-axle pipes and their connection to the H pipe. You will find that by rotating these pipes, you can raise/lower the height of the system. I messed with mine for a while before I got them perfect. It's a great kit, it will fit fine for you- well worth the price in my opinion.

Tom
Old 5/29/06, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Tom, I will try that. I noticed you have an H pipe as well. Does it make it noticbly louder with that? I have a brand new X pipe in the box I got for Xmas from brenspeed but I am wondering how I am got to like it.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Old 5/29/06, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, my H pipe is the offroad version (no cats), so yes it is much louder than before. Almost too loud at times, but still no drone and a nice idle. But when you get into the throttle, it makes noise. And once you get to WOT, !
Old 6/1/06, 04:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had the same issue with mine, and ended up modifying the ford hanger. I posted out here with pics. Give me some time and I will see if I can find the link. Don't worry - you can get them aligned and looking right.
Old 6/1/06, 08:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Corsa Exhaust

Sorry, I could not find the old link. I had the same exact issue with the passenger hanger. I tried all sorts of things with the upstream connections but could not make up the difference. My first thought was to bend the arms on the exhaust, but I knew that would void the warranty. So .. my buddy helped me modify the Ford hanger. This was a good choice because if needed I could go out and get a new one at a nominal cost. Attached is a picture of what we did. We slotted the bottom most hole, then used washers to shim the upper hole. On the upper hole, I needed a slightly longer bolt, so I went to the Ford dealer, and they actually gave me several of them for free. Not bad ! Threading the upper bolt with all the washers looked challenging, but it went in the first time. The entire mod worked like a charm. I have had it that way for over a year and it has not loosened up, and I have not had any problems. I know there are other ways to align things up .. I would be interested to hear how you get there. Good luck !

PS: I have read about rumours that Ford made a design change to the hanger configuration after the early production models were released. I don't have any proof of that. My car was built in Sep 04.
Attached Thumbnails Corsa Install Question-passhanger.jpg  
Old 6/1/06, 10:56 PM
GT Member

I recently installed my corsas as well and found the EXACT same problem. I contacted Corsa and asked for a replacement passenger side. They agreed to send me one. I am still waiting for it. Hopefully it is the tip itself that is crooked. It was frustrating spending so much time under there to get the right fit. I finally gave up and called Corsa for the replacement. I will let you guys know if the new muffler is straight.
Old 6/2/06, 04:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have not had a chance to get back under there yet becuase I am debating on wether to keep my Xpipe and buy the H or just install the X. I will probably get back under there next weekend but will update this post once I do.
Old 6/9/06, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
I recently installed my corsas as well and found the EXACT same problem. I contacted Corsa and asked for a replacement passenger side. They agreed to send me one. I am still waiting for it. Hopefully it is the tip itself that is crooked. It was frustrating spending so much time under there to get the right fit. I finally gave up and called Corsa for the replacement. I will let you guys know if the new muffler is straight.

I received the replacement passsenger side muffler yesterday. I installed it last night. It is still a little tricky to get aligned just right, but I think i got it to almost perfect.

I have a question though. If you read through the Ford Service Manual under the exhaust section is a procedure for aligning the exhaust. These instructions say that if you loosen the coupler (the large double bolted band clamps just behind the H pipe) it is necessary to replace with a new set of couplers and Nuts and bolts.

Is this really true? Do we need to replace the couplers? I had to loosen and retighten those things alot to get the system aligned just right. Now I am worried I should have used new couplers.
Old 6/9/06, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
I received the replacement passsenger side muffler yesterday. I installed it last night. It is still a little tricky to get aligned just right, but I think i got it to almost perfect.

I have a question though. If you read through the Ford Service Manual under the exhaust section is a procedure for aligning the exhaust. These instructions say that if you loosen the coupler (the large double bolted band clamps just behind the H pipe) it is necessary to replace with a new set of couplers and Nuts and bolts.

Is this really true? Do we need to replace the couplers? I had to loosen and retighten those things alot to get the system aligned just right. Now I am worried I should have used new couplers.
I've loosened and retighted mine several times over the last 6 months and have had no problems at all with them. Every time I check them, they're as tight as I left them previously. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 6/9/06, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I've loosened and retighted mine several times over the last 6 months and have had no problems at all with them. Every time I check them, they're as tight as I left them previously. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that.
Old 8/4/06, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Disregard this previous post. Figured out what happened. Also found a problem with driver side muffler inlet pipe that was dinged. Had to open in up again for slip fit over the axle pipe. Anyhow, the job's done and they look & sound great. Will get photos and vids later today or tomorrow.
Old 8/4/06, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BLT2RUN
Speaking of passenger side Corsa mufflers, you guys are one step ahead of me. I took my stock mufflers off last night and loosened the H-pipe clamps. Well, I'm having a hard time even getting the muffler bolted in place with the rubber isolators. It appears the rear most hanger is about 1 1/2" different (from hanger to center-line of tail pipe) than the stock muffler. Anyone else had this issue or is it something I'm doing wrong? I'm temped to just try bending it, but I know this would void warranties, return policies, etc.. Haven't tried installing the driver side yet - it was getting late.

Also, any difference between Corsa systems for 05 vs. 06? Their website has part 14311 for both model years, but maybe something physically changed and that's where my problem is.

Thanks.
I also had problems with my passenger side getting it just right, but if you mess with it long enough you can get it. One thing I realized I did the first time I was trying, was to put the hangar in backwards when I was replacing it, you may want to try switching it around. It looked right, but it was wrong
Old 8/4/06, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's likely the problem. Unless you mark the hangers before removing them, its hard to tell which way is correct. The Corsa system is great, I'm confident you can get it!