GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Corsa Axle back Installed, but one side too low

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/08, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Corsa Axle back Installed, but one side too low

Greetings,
I got a set of Corsa Axle backs for my Birthday and installed them today, by myself. My buddy was supposed to help me but cancelled last minute. The hardest part was holding everything in place while trying to tighten everything up. The drivers side tip lined up just right, however the passenger side is hanging a bit too low. I tried to adjust it several times, but doing it alone is not possible.
I loosened up the clamps before the H-Pipe as well as the clamps before the mufflers, and just can't seem to get the one side right. So I torqued everything down, took it for a blast and I'll deal with it when I can get some assistance.

I love the grumble, much nicer than stock.

Anybody have any tricks to getting this right?

LJS
Old 12/30/08, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This actually happened on my 07 GT with the Flowmaster American Thunders. This might sound "ghetto," but if you put the metal hanger on the exhaust on the hole above the correct one for the car's rubber hanger, it'll pull it up just that small amount. Do you see what I'm saying? The rubber exhaust hanger has a big hole with smaller ones around it (top and bottom).
Old 12/30/08, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I do know what you are talking about as I was installing it, it kept going in the wrong hole. (no comments please)

hmmm interesting. But will that smaller hole RIP?

LJS
Old 12/30/08, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it should'nt rip... i've tried several different axle-backs and seems each one i have to use different holes. and im a pro at changing them out (as we all are by now). GOOD LUCK!!
Old 12/30/08, 05:27 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After you've tried all other adjustments you can bend the rear hanger on the muffler that's too low. Remove the rear hanger and heat the rod on the muffler with a torch then bend it down to raise the tip. Bend it a little at a time and keep a wet rag handy to cool it. I've done this to several axle backs to get the tips where I wanted them.
Old 12/30/08, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

I just posted a new thread essentially asking the same alignment question about my own axlebacks. I've got the same issue with the passenger side tip being too low and off-center. Seems like it's always the passenger side. I wonder what the deal is with that?

Taco Bill sort of addressed this when he did his own axlebacks, but he didn't go into much detail. I wish he had.
Old 12/30/08, 10:10 PM

All you should have to do is loosen the clamp at the mid pipe and rotate the axle back to the correct postion. Have a frend hold it in the correct place while you tighten it back up. Really easy fix.
Old 12/30/08, 10:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by gpd215
All you should have to do is loosen the clamp at the mid pipe and rotate the axle back to the correct postion. Have a frend hold it in the correct place while you tighten it back up. Really easy fix.
THAT'S what I'm talking about. I just need another body.
Old 12/31/08, 04:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've had JBA's, Borla Stingers, and Corsa's, they all hung a little low on the passenger side. Heating up the rod and bending will fix it. My fix was stuffing a couple short pieces of heater hose in the bottom hole of the rear hangar below the big hole the rod goes in. Helped to raise the rear of the muffler just enough to get them even, and since the rubber heater hose is black, like the hangar, can't even see it from under the car unless you really look for it.
Old 12/31/08, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

yes...that is also an effective method, but if the hangers are off by a couple inches you will have to be more creative, such as heating and bending or using different holes.
Old 12/31/08, 06:22 AM
V6 Member

As gpd215 noted above adjustment at the midpipe will solve this problem. No need to make it any more complicated.
Old 12/31/08, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I loosened up the clamps before the H-Pipe as well as the clamps before the mufflers, and just can't seem to get the one side right
^^^ i think he's tried that.
Old 12/31/08, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes, I did loosen up he H-Pipe clamps as well as the muffler clamps and with everything loose I couldn't position it correctly. I'll post pics in a little while.
LJS
Old 12/31/08, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are the pics, see how the passenger side is lower...
But they still sound sweet!
Attached Thumbnails Corsa Axle back Installed, but one side too low-corsa-1.jpg   Corsa Axle back Installed, but one side too low-corsa-2.jpg  
Old 12/31/08, 12:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MR-STANG
Yes, I did loosen up he H-Pipe clamps as well as the muffler clamps and with everything loose I couldn't position it correctly. I'll post pics in a little while.
LJS
I loosened the clamps and twisted everything and got it as high as I could. Then I went back and dropped the left side to match the right. I have a 1 inch gap between the top of the tip and the bumper cover. I never measured the stock setup. Good decision on the Corsa.
Old 1/2/09, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

On the axleback clamp try loosening it and have a buddy pull the muffler tip upwards as far as possible and have him hold it while you crank the clamp down. Do the same on the left side only have your buddy push down.
Old 1/3/09, 07:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had the same difficulty in lining up my exhaust - there was not enough adjustment at the 2 pipe connectors. I avoided bending the Corsa assembly because it cost so much and because I did not want to void the warranty. My buddy helped me come up with a fix that worked well. We made minor modifications to the Ford hanger (if this part gets messed up it can be replaced at low cost). We slotted one hole, and shimmed the connection to the other - using washers and a slightly longer bolt. This gave me plenty of adjustment to bring the pipe into alignment. I've attached a picture of what the modified hanger looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Corsa Axle back Installed, but one side too low-passhanger.jpg  

Last edited by os121; 1/3/09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 1/4/09, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

That works if needed. I've done it before.
Old 1/4/09, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by os121
I had the same difficulty in lining up my exhaust - there was not enough adjustment at the 2 pipe connectors. I avoided bending the Corsa assembly because it cost so much and because I did not want to void the warranty. My buddy helped me come up with a fix that worked well. We made minor modifications to the Ford hanger (if this part gets messed up it can be replaced at low cost). We slotted one hole, and shimmed the connection to the other - using washers and a slightly longer bolt. This gave me plenty of adjustment to bring the pipe into alignment. I've attached a picture of what the modified hanger looks like.

An excellent and easy fix and true to hot rodding as well!
Thanks.
Mike E
Old 1/4/09, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by os121

So you added a hole in the rubber?

Quick Reply: Corsa Axle back Installed, but one side too low