GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Coolant type and flush?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/16, 11:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant type and flush?

Note: When I say "coolant", I am referring to 50/50 mix, not concentrated. I'm pointing this out because if someone thought I meant one gallon of concentrated, that would be equal to two gallons of 50/50.

Hey guys, I have an 06 GT with 48k miles on it. I purchased this used, and I don't have records for coolant changes. The coolant that's in it right now is yellow, and not very dirty looking. Despite this, I want to change it out with something that is fresh and I can top off when I need to. My problem is that I don't know what exactly is in there. The level is below the full line and I don't know what to fill it with. I know in some cases (I don't know if it applies to ALL cases), when you mix coolants it will create a gel like substance that screws up your engine. This is why I am wanting to flush it and start new.

I've read that the engine should take 4 gallons of coolant (don't know if this is correct). I've also read posts about people having far less than 4 gallons draining. Yes, I know the engine will retain some, but I'm seeing people have less than 2 gallons drain, one guy I read only had 5 quarts drain. Since I don't know what is currently in there, I don't want to only drain a small amount and be stuck with not enough coolant in the car, and not be able to top it off to pretty much back out of the whole thing.

I don't need anyone to take the time to write up a flushing guide, I can youtube that. I just want some opinions on what to expect. Also, and I know this has been covered many times (although in those many times, I've never seen any straight answer), what coolant do you recommend? Stick with the expensive Motorcraft or go with an alternative? If it's possible part numbers would be wonderful. Thanks so much
Old 12/28/16, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If its yellow any universal coolant that says its for ford would be fine. Only time coolant gets ****ty is bad mixture and gets all rusty, gets burnt from overheating or mixing red like dexos(gm garbage coolant) with green or yellow. If you still want to flush really any brand is fine. Flush with water and 2 full 100% jugs will be more than enough. Can use green yellow or gold as long as its for ford cooling systems. If you want to get it all out there's usually a plug in the side of the block to drain the coolant out of the block, pull that then mix 50/50 and fill until its full. Otherwise I always looked up how much the total system takes. After you flush it really good with water you know its just water sitting in the block so as long as you take half of whatever the total system fill is and make sure you get that much full strength in there first and if you need more than that to top it off then fill with 50/50 mix that way you know it's as close to 50/50 as you can get it.
Old 12/29/16, 12:24 AM
V6 Member

@LivinTheStangLife
I got an email that you replied but it's not showing up in the browser. I read that when you reply on the forum app it can do this sometimes. I was able to read your answer on the email though, thank you very much for your reply

Edit: now it shows up for me haha. Oh well
Old 12/29/16, 02:30 AM
V6 Member

If I choose to not flush (and I'd really rather not if I don't need to), would this be ok? It doesn't specifically say for Ford, but it says universal. I read on another forum to avoid universals and other people love them. I wish there was just a right and a wrong. As many opinions as possible would be great, thanks

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...961#about-item

I don't post much so I hope this simple link will work
Old 12/29/16, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah that's stuffs fine I used it many times
Old 12/29/16, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
There is no right answer, as long as it's compatible it will be fine. Depending on where you live you can even run with less "coolant" in there. I run with mostly distilled water with maybe a cup or two of actual coolant and a bottle of Water Wetter. But I also don't ever have to worry about it freezing.