GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Congressional bill to prevent the EPA from being able to stop you from modding your c

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/16, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Congressional bill to prevent the EPA from being able to stop you from modding your c

As some of you know there is new wording in EPA regulations that could cripple the aftermarket industry. Aftermarket companies will go out of business, and you won’t be able to get parts anymore. But, a bill has been introduced in Congress to prevent the EPA from being able to crack down. The RPM bill (cute huh?). Please take the 2 minutes to follow this link and send a litter to your representative. Seriously, it will take you two minutes, you don’t actually write the letter.

This bill needs to happen. It effects all of us. Make your voice heard. Don’t forget, the Government works for us. They need their marching orders.

Please pass this along anywhere and everywhere you can think of. We need as many of these written as possible.

Thanks!

http://semasan.com/issue_alert.asp?g...Motor+Vehicles
Old 3/9/16, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
oh wow
Old 3/9/16, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
message sent
Old 3/9/16, 02:46 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Thanks, letter mailed today to my NV Rep.
Old 3/9/16, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
This is thread two of three on this topic sprinkled through the forums.

You need to pick one place and stick it there. I get that you want it to be seen, but trust us it'll get seen, especially if you put it in the *general* forum, and not a sub particular to a certain year like you've done with this, OP.

This might affect any car from the 70's on up.

So, there ya go. Mods? What say ya?
Old 3/9/16, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Ok. What am I reading wrong? I read that they want to exempt off road vehicles from the EPA. I just read the bill 3 times, and I do not understand the confusion. The bill is attached. Read it and see if you can see what SAN has found, that I didn't.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...bill/4715/text
Old 3/11/16, 12:10 PM
Legacy Supercharged Tms Member

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
As I see it (and agree completely), SAN’s contention is that the downstream effect of NOT exempting cars used solely for competition would be massive and would effect all of us – including aftermarket designers, manufacturers, retailers, repair shops and home modders. American innovation would also be affected, maybe to a point of standstill. European style government here we come.

The EPA contends that there has never been a law that exempted competition vehicles from the Clean Air Act as amended in 1970. Their reinterpretation and stricter enforcement would effectively prevent the manufacture/modification/sale of parts or equipment that results in the removing, disabling or bypassing of any production line emissions component or system, even by the car’s owner. Right now, today, many of the affected parts are made and/or sold to you and me with the caveat “For Off Road Use Only” or “Competition”.

Here’s a bit of how the EPA could (most likely would) put the hammer down on the aftermarket without a law specifically excluding vehicles modified for organized competition. According to the EPA, tampering includes:

. Removing such devices as catalytic converters, air pump and EGR valves, or doing anything to them to keep them from working properly. Hmmm, there goes our air/oil separators, filters, long tube headers, etc.

. Disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system such as electrical solenoids, sensors or vacuum actuated valves. Will the EPA include aftermarket pressure gauges?

. Adjusting any part of a car or truck’s emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer’s specifications. There goes our SCT or Diablo tuners and a lot of other stuff.

. Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design AND function as the part that was originally on the vehicle such as an incorrect exhaust part. There goes our Corsa, Magnaflow, Borla, etc.; straight pipes, too. What about CAI's - they are a different design than the stock airbox.

. Adding a part that was not ORIGINALLY certified on the car such as installing a turbocharger or supercharger. This is a catchall and self-explanatory – if it wasn’t on the car coming off the Production Line then “FORGET-ABOUT-IT”. There goes V6 to V8 and tranny conversions, too. I’m sure the VIN will be changed to include some of this.

So, the bottom line for the EPA is, if they can reinterpret the Clean Air Act to include organized competition cars, they can prevent or severely limit aftermarket design, manufacture and sale to us all. Just another Government overreach into our American way of life; all in the name of environmental safety. And believe me, this radical EPA has already destroyed the American coal industry, so small organized drag strips are a piece of cake.

Anyway, that’s my take on it and I could be wrong. Send the letter; it can’t hurt.

Last edited by RedFire281; 3/12/16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 3/11/16, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't intend to be cynical but I don't think sending messages to elected officials is worth the time in this case. They stopped listening to us a long time ago. For example, Obamacare was rammed into law against the wishes of most citizens!

Hate to say it but we need to use lobbyists. They can influence EPA policy through election funding much better than the pleas of "ordinary" citizens! Maybe send messages to your favorite aftermarket companies to have them mobilize their lobbies? But I'm sure they are already on it.

You could cc: all of those messages to your representatives as well!