GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cold Weather Hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/06, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, gang, does anyone have this happen? When it's been cold and I havent driven for a day or so, if I start up and go, I get this kind of coughing-like hesitation ... like I have to feed it gas to keep the engine from dying combined with a feel like the car doesn't want to move. It never lasts for more than a block and it only happens when I put it in gear and try to move forward. I know I should wait and warm up, but, I don't. What do you think this is? I am using the dealer supplied oil which I believe is _not_ synthetic.
Old 2/1/06, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a stick in mine and I have noticed when I start out when it is cold (40 - 45) and I floor it the car just sits there like it is flooded. It doesn't stall, I guess the TBW is keeping the throttle closed for some reason. If I back off the throttle and get back on it, it works fine. My car is bone stock and it has only done this 3 times. Wierd??
Old 2/1/06, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Flooring your car when cold is a bad idea in general... dont do it until you reach normal operating temperatures.
Old 2/1/06, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

It is not like I floor it way up in the rpm range. I only do it up to about 2500. I don't think it is all that critical on a stock motor, supercharged yes, it has to be warm. Correct me if I am wrong. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 08:09 AM
GT Member

OK ... that's interesting too, but, not really what I am talking about. When I take off from stop the first time, it's like it's hard to get moving ... the engine coughs and it feels like something is holding me back ... if i let up off the gas / put the stick into neutral, the engins still coughs a bit and I have to feed it gas to keep it from dying. But, once we're over that initial "hump," all is well. Again, this only happens w/ cold weather and w/ not having driven the car for a day.
Old 2/2/06, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

That does sound the same, I just didn't take it out of gear. Also, when I floored it, it never went to 2500rpm, it just sat there and sputtered even though it was floored. Just because you mash the gas doesn't mean the throttle is wide open.