GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cold Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/08, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake Question

As a newbie with an '07 GT/CS I have been told by numerous people to put in a Cold Air Intake and I have some questions?

1) Will it void my mfg. warranty?
2) Will it make my check engine light start coming on?
3) What is the best one to buy?
4) What is the "tune" I see written about? Is it a chip? And is it necessary / required?
5) Can I still run 87 Octane?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by pilatti1; 4/28/08 at 05:22 PM.
Old 4/28/08, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pilatti1
As a newbie with an '07 GT/CS I have been told by numerous people to put in a Cold Air Intake and I have some questions?

4) What is the "tune" I see written about? Is it a chip? And is it necessary / required?

Thanks
Q1: It may or may not depends on how picky your dealers is.
Q2. Some CAI don't require a tune and some do if you do then you will need to buy a tuner like Diablo Sport or SCT and a tune from the company selling the tuner. like Bama Chips Brenspeed etc. and the tune come in 87 89 91 & 93 octane
Q3: Everyone has their favorites like K & N, C&L,Airraid, AEM you will just need to check around to see what you like.

Ron
Old 4/28/08, 06:27 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Thanks
Shouldnt void your warranty. The dealer would have to be able to show that the CAI was the root cause of a major failure in order to void your warranty. Here is some resource material that may help:

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

Hope this helps some

Page
Old 4/28/08, 07:07 PM

I have a new 08 GT/CS and am taking it in this week to have my ford dealer instal the cold air intake, FRPP X pipe and the FRPP mufflers. I to had the same questions with warranty. As long as my dealer installs this with in a reasonable time of the car being purchased, then I will get the 3 yr 36k warranty. if I were to wait and have them do it at a later time then I would only get a 12mth 12k warranty.
Old 4/28/08, 07:51 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks
1) No
2) Depends on which intake you get.
3) Personal preference.
4) Depends on which intake you get.
5) Yes
Old 4/28/08, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

No to the warrenty,
unplug your battery, computor will reset itself to new equipment
Airaid Love it,
unplug your battery, computor will reset itself to new equipment,
muffler guy did request a change with the fuel purchase.
Old 4/29/08, 12:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
on question # 5 when I didn't have a SCT tuner I just bought a K&N CAI installed it and wow just that alone made the car run smoother, no hesitation off the line at all, response was right there, then when I got a tuner Wow I then realized that she was a real screamer !
Old 4/29/08, 05:12 AM
GT Member

Any change to the car that is not from the factory WILL technically void your warranty. The dealer may or may not enforce this rule. My dad has the K&N cold Air kit and he has the CDC Shaker and the dealer did not give him any problems. I will be getting the Ford Racing Cold air Kit with the tune when I get one. I want the 3/36 warranty and no issues with the dealer. I have the Ford Racing x-pipe and Ford Racing stingers too. The dealer installed them when I bought the car.
Old 4/29/08, 05:48 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by jeffvistagtcs
Any change to the car that is not from the factory WILL technically void your warranty. The dealer may or may not enforce this rule. My dad has the K&N cold Air kit and he has the CDC Shaker and the dealer did not give him any problems. I will be getting the Ford Racing Cold air Kit with the tune when I get one. I want the 3/36 warranty and no issues with the dealer. I have the Ford Racing x-pipe and Ford Racing stingers too. The dealer installed them when I bought the car.
NO it WILL NOT! The factory warranty will only not cover damage done by the aftermarket part. (and of course, it won't cover the AM part itself)
Old 4/29/08, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
NO it WILL NOT! The factory warranty will only not cover damage done by the aftermarket part. (and of course, it won't cover the AM part itself)
You are correct, thank you. That is what I meant. Ford might not cover whatever goes wrong linked to the after market part. It is their descretion. On a cold air kit, you might get a check engine light. Some people do, and some don't. My dad did not have any problems with his K&N kit.
Old 4/29/08, 10:35 AM
I lust for a M24

You are correct, thank you. That is what I meant. Ford might not cover whatever goes wrong linked to the after market part. It is their descretion. On a cold air kit, you might get a check engine light. Some people do, and some don't. My dad did not have any problems with his K&N kit.
I just looked at my post again, didn't mean to get crazy with the CAPS.
Old 4/29/08, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

A friend of mine was running a BBK intake for a while without a proper re-programming, was getting a check engine light every few days or so. He recently got a SCT X-cal 2 and now the check engine light problem is gone. If you get the BBK intake, definitely get a tuner to go with it. I have a JLT intake and SCT X-cal 2, excellent combo.
Old 4/29/08, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I just installed the K&N CAI on Sunday night... no tune, I love it!
Old 4/30/08, 12:03 AM

I had a K&N CAI installed with no tune on my 06 GT and a Dynomax catback exhaust. I've put on 22000 miles in the last 18 months and have had no problems. I'm in the process of changing it over to my 07GT/CS.
Old 4/30/08, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any change to the car that is not from the factory WILL technically void your warranty.
NO it WON'T. Someone has already posted a link to the federal warranty protection act. Before the MANUFACTURER (NOT dealer) can void the warranty based on an aftermarket part, they have to prove that the modification caused the failure. And, they ONLY get to void the warranty on what was damaged by the change.

For example, if you install a tune that ends up running your car lean and it damages the engine's pistons, you are responsible for fixing that damage. But if your throttle body or fuel injectors or possibly transmission start acting up, they don't get to say "we voided your warranty , so you are out of luck".

The other aspect this law covers is replacement parts. The manufacturer can't make the warranty contengent upon the use of THEIR replacement parts. They CAN say the part has to meet "xyz" standards, but any part that meets that standard can be used without impact to the warranty . If they DO insist that THEIR part MUST be used, they they are required to provide that part for free.

So if Ford says you HAVE to use Motorcraft full synthetic oil at each oil change (and it must be every 3000 miles...) or your engine warranty is void, then they have to provide you with the needed oil every 3000 miles. For free.

I saw this aspect of the law put to use directly at my previous job at a semiconductor manufacturing company. We had a lead plater (built up the lead bumps on the front of all the die on a complete CPU wafer). This tool had 18 plating "cups" that the wafer sat in during the plating process. Each cup had to be replaced about every 6 weeks. And each cup cost over $3000 from the manufacturer! If you do the math, that is half a million dollars in plating cups per machine per year. Multiply that by two machines per site and five sites running this process, and you quickly get to 5 million dollars a year in replacement parts.

So, when an aftermarket company came up with a rebuilt cup for "only" $1200 and that cup was easily able to pass every single qualification test we put it through, we switched to the rebuilt cups.

It didn't take long for the OEM to figure out something was up. When we told them that we had switched to rebuilt cups, they very quickly came back with "if you don't use OEM cups, then the warranty on these tools is void" claim. At this point, two things happened: 1) We turned it the case over to Intel Legal and 2) I told everyone on the team that the OEM doesn't have a case because of the warranty protection act. Unless they want to give us the plater cups for free.

Needless to say, the lawyers were quick to point out to the OEM that if they insist that we use OEM cups to maintain the warranty, they the OEM has to supply them for free. Once the OEM figured out there was no way to get around this, they quickly dropped their claim that OEM cups were a "requirement" for the warranty.

Please quite spreading false information.
Old 4/30/08, 11:08 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
NO it WON'T. Someone has already posted a link to the federal warranty protection act. Before the MANUFACTURER (NOT dealer) can void the warranty based on an aftermarket part, they have to prove that the modification caused the failure. And, they ONLY get to void the warranty on what was damaged by the change.

For example, if you install a tune that ends up running your car lean and it damages the engine's pistons, you are responsible for fixing that damage. But if your throttle body or fuel injectors or possibly transmission start acting up, they don't get to say "we voided your warranty , so you are out of luck".

The other aspect this law covers is replacement parts. The manufacturer can't make the warranty contengent upon the use of THEIR replacement parts. They CAN say the part has to meet "xyz" standards, but any part that meets that standard can be used without impact to the warranty . If they DO insist that THEIR part MUST be used, they they are required to provide that part for free.

So if Ford says you HAVE to use Motorcraft full synthetic oil at each oil change (and it must be every 3000 miles...) or your engine warranty is void, then they have to provide you with the needed oil every 3000 miles. For free.

I saw this aspect of the law put to use directly at my previous job at a semiconductor manufacturing company. We had a lead plater (built up the lead bumps on the front of all the die on a complete CPU wafer). This tool had 18 plating "cups" that the wafer sat in during the plating process. Each cup had to be replaced about every 6 weeks. And each cup cost over $3000 from the manufacturer! If you do the math, that is half a million dollars in plating cups per machine per year. Multiply that by two machines per site and five sites running this process, and you quickly get to 5 million dollars a year in replacement parts.

So, when an aftermarket company came up with a rebuilt cup for "only" $1200 and that cup was easily able to pass every single qualification test we put it through, we switched to the rebuilt cups.

It didn't take long for the OEM to figure out something was up. When we told them that we had switched to rebuilt cups, they very quickly came back with "if you don't use OEM cups, then the warranty on these tools is void" claim. At this point, two things happened: 1) We turned it the case over to Intel Legal and 2) I told everyone on the team that the OEM doesn't have a case because of the warranty protection act. Unless they want to give us the plater cups for free.

Needless to say, the lawyers were quick to point out to the OEM that if they insist that we use OEM cups to maintain the warranty, they the OEM has to supply them for free. Once the OEM figured out there was no way to get around this, they quickly dropped their claim that OEM cups were a "requirement" for the warranty.

Please quite spreading false information.
See post #10
Old 4/30/08, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I just installed the Steeda cold air kit with Xcalibrator 2 from Brenspeed. It made a huge difference. You can't possibly go wrong with it.
Old 4/30/08, 12:55 PM
GT Member

You should go ahead a get a tune regardless if you install a CAI that requires one or not. The throttle response is so much better with a tune, not to mention the performance enhancement, even with an 87 octane tune... but go for the 91 or 93 tune (depending on what's available in your area)... you won't regret it!
Old 4/30/08, 11:20 PM
V6 Member

With the K&N intake kit, did you guys also pick-up a nice induction noise when you hammer it?
Old 5/1/08, 04:31 AM
Cobra Member

Just to be safe I take my CAI off and turn the tune back to stock everytime I go to the dealer. Just makes things easier

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Question