GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Code reader

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/05, 06:17 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the '05 require a different code reader than previous my's
I have "fail safe" happening and now check engine lite on. My shop says he doesn't have a reader that works on the '05.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 7/11/05, 06:37 PM
GT Member

My preditator is a code reader so I cant help much. Take it to the dealer.
Old 7/11/05, 06:51 PM

When did your fail safe occur, what was happening, give me some more info. I know with your mods it can be frustrating tracking it down. I have a code reader I purchased from Oreilly auto parts store and it works on all of the 05 critical engine data but does not support things like air conditioning and accessory systems, it is an auto x-ray and it costs about $175.00 but it can do any domestic vehicle 05 and older with a computer.
Old 7/11/05, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm... the XCal doesn't read codes?

Glad I got the Pred...
Old 7/11/05, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Herknav@July 11, 2005, 6:58 PM
Hmm... the XCal doesn't read codes?

Glad I got the Pred...
X-cal 2 reads codes, mine will be here on the 13th. Purchased my code reader in December of last year, 1 month after buying my car.
Old 7/11/05, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

So it is the XCal 1 that doesn't?
Old 7/11/05, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Herknav@July 11, 2005, 7:03 PM
So it is the XCal 1 that doesn't?
Correct. It just happened to be the only tuner available when I ordered my car. All tunes are generically the same, even between manufacturers. When a company tells you they have a superior tune it is almost like a little white lie. The fact is that when the car's computer detects something it doesn't like then it reverts to its own way of making the moment "safe." Tuners pretty much make a blanket tune to affect all areas of performance but they cannot tune for every variable (air temp/engine temp/fuel pressure/fuel ratio/ignition timing/injector timing) at every given possibility, not yet at least.
Old 7/11/05, 08:00 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by dhof303@July 11, 2005, 5:54 PM
When did your fail safe occur, what was happening, give me some more info. I know with your mods it can be frustrating tracking it down. I have a code reader I purchased from Oreilly auto parts store and it works on all of the 05 critical engine data but does not support things like air conditioning and accessory systems, it is an auto x-ray and it costs about $175.00 but it can do any domestic vehicle 05 and older with a computer.
Hi Derek;

I changed air intake to 90mm and my tuner tuned for it with advice frim SCT. First time getting on freeway, went to fail safe. Tuner told me to go back to my MMR intake. I switched it back and under hard throttle, goes into fail safe. So I reflashed the tune back to 87 octane (tuned for MMR intake). The car ran great, even under heavy throttle for two days, then went to fail safe.
With a code reader, I thought I could check it for a problem that maybe occured as a coincidence to the 90mm tune.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 7/11/05, 08:04 PM
FR500 Member

Does the auto x-ray you have, have a model number? I see several auto x-ray checkers on partsamerica website, but they just say they read everything to present, which is the same thing the other checkers say, even though I know some won't read an '05.

Tks,

Paul
Old 7/11/05, 08:30 PM

I am at work tonight (Flight Nurse), when I get home I will check the model number tomorrow. If you don't mind send me an e-mail (dhof303@aol.com) to remind me. If you are interested I would possibly sell mine if my X-cal 2 arrives Wednesday intact and it does what I want. Either way e-mail me and I will try to help. Sounds similar to my troubles with incorrectly installed pulleys. Is your car flashing the CEL on and off with the engine running poorly for about 30 secs, or does your light just come on and stay on with the Fail Safe on the message center?
Old 7/11/05, 09:00 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks, the fail safe comes on under hard throttle, with no indication beforehand anything is wrong. Sometimes the cel comes on and sometimes it doesn't. I drove the car today about ten miles and the cel was on all the time. I just had to move the car and drove it around the block and no cel.
Old 7/11/05, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by wild stray@July 11, 2005, 9:03 PM
Thanks, the fail safe comes on under hard throttle, with no indication beforehand anything is wrong. Sometimes the cel comes on and sometimes it doesn't. I drove the car today about ten miles and the cel was on all the time. I just had to move the car and drove it around the block and no cel.
So this CEL comes and goes, you don't retune your car to get rid of it? If so then this is a pending code that can usually only be retrieved by Ford IF you haven't disconnected your battery for longer than 15 minutes. Either way pending codes are much less serious than trouble codes. You most likely have an issue with the timing or fuel ratio under wide open throttle only as long as the tune you have doesn't incorrectly manage the torque management system.
Old 7/11/05, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dhof303@July 11, 2005, 7:12 PM
Correct. It just happened to be the only tuner available when I ordered my car. All tunes are generically the same, even between manufacturers. When a company tells you they have a superior tune it is almost like a little white lie. The fact is that when the car's computer detects something it doesn't like then it reverts to its own way of making the moment "safe." Tuners pretty much make a blanket tune to affect all areas of performance but they cannot tune for every variable (air temp/engine temp/fuel pressure/fuel ratio/ignition timing/injector timing) at every given possibility, not yet at least.

I don't think so sir. We may all start from the same base file and most of your more common Ebay SCT dealers do sell the same performance base files from SCT there are True Tuning Dealers that do alot more changes to the programming then just the base performance files.

There are basics that have to be addressed in every tune and this is the only reason I use the base files but from there I use my own tested tables for a host of other parameters. Saying that every SCT tune is the same is like saying every car is the same.

As for the adjustments for air temp, engine temps, fuel pressure and such they are adjusted by PCM data that is read by the MAF, so on EVERY setup the MAF and it's transfer function is the most important step on any setup.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 7/11/05, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dhof303@July 11, 2005, 9:33 PM
I am at work tonight (Flight Nurse
Ok, so OT... sue me... We are flying AES around all this week... are you in on it???
Old 7/11/05, 10:29 PM

[quote=Doug904,July 11, 2005, 9:41 PM]
I don't think so sir. We may all start from the same base file and most of your more common Ebay SCT dealers do sell the same performance base files from SCT there are True Tuning Dealers that do alot more changes to the programming then just the base performance files.

Sorry, I don't claim to be a programmer or even a tuning whiz. Limited knowledge here but exclusively with the 05 and SCT within the past 10 months this information was told to me directly by Dave at SCT. If this is infact a "canned" response he gives the customer that is not a dealer for how programming between companies is achieved then so be it. As for the fine tuning I am aware that there are differences between vendors on top of the base tune but nothing more than 5 rear wheel horsepower when comparing apples to apples, if so and you have this edge then I am interested in your tune for my car.
Old 7/11/05, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Herknav@July 11, 2005, 10:18 PM
Ok, so OT... sue me... We are flying AES around all this week... are you in on it???
? Not sure what you mean. Explain or PM, I am kind of slow with abreviations.
Old 7/11/05, 10:36 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by dhof303@July 11, 2005, 8:27 PM
You most likely have an issue with the timing or fuel ratio under wide open throttle

You are quite right! I just tried to flash again with the 87 tune and apparently the first time it didn't take. No cel and no fail safe! So my tuners attempt at burning in a new tune was the problem.

Although my immediate problem is solved, let me know if you decide you no longer need the code checker. I will buy it just for peace of mind.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old 7/12/05, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dhof303@July 11, 2005, 10:32 PM

Sorry, I don't claim to be a programmer or even a tuning whiz. Limited knowledge here but exclusively with the 05 and SCT within the past 10 months this information was told to me directly by Dave at SCT. If this is infact a "canned" response he gives the customer that is not a dealer for how programming between companies is achieved then so be it. As for the fine tuning I am aware that there are differences between vendors on top of the base tune but nothing more than 5 rear wheel horsepower when comparing apples to apples, if so and you have this edge then I am interested in your tune for my car.

Hey guy,

No appology necessary, I just hate to hear it when larger NON tuning dealers try and pass this off as their tunes being as good as some of the REAL tuning and researching dealers. My main focus for the last year has been the V6's in the Ranger's and Explorer's because I have a solid base in these engines and I've found great gains over the stock files from SCT for them. I'ver recently began tuning 05's with both the V6's and the GT's with even better results. I was in a advanced training class two weeks ago with Ken from Modular Depot and we both learned a great deal about tuning the new 05's, everything from new things to do for added power to just tuning the car to get the power to the wheels. The new Drive-By-Wire system is a entirely new system and learning it will really take some time and testing.

As for your tuning I see in your Signature that you have a tune from Modular Depot and I would expect that to be one of the best out. As for my files I would gladly send you one but I wouldn't expect it to be better then one of theirs, I'm not god here nor do I try, I do expect that my tunes are better then that of a base SCT file. Now if you had another SCT dealers tunes that I didn't think was a real tuning dealer I would be happy to send you a tune for your setup.

Actually if you would wait until the new Advantage 3.0 software is able to send new files I would love to send you one with my own personal drive-by wire settings.

All I ask is for you not to generalize all SCT dealers as a whole, there are those who have just signed up to make a profit and don't give a hoot about performance gains or individuals. I myself do this as a side business to help pay for my own racing hobby and I enjoy hearing about the new found performance from my own hardwork I put into my tunes.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 7/24/05, 02:27 PM
FR500 Member

[quote=wild stray,July 11, 2005, 9:39 PM]

I flashed the JLT SCT 91 tune on the 11th and everything has been O.K. since. Today under throttle, the car again went into failsafe. I used my code reader from my service trucks and was able to get the codes, but my definitions stop on my computer before the 2005 MY.

The first code comes up P061B and the second code read is P2106.

Would someone who has the newer codes please tell me what they mean.

Thankx.

Paul
Old 7/24/05, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P061B
Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

P2106
Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

http://www.diablosport.com/FordDTC.php

Quick Reply: Code reader