GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Coast Driveline Aluminum Driveshafts - UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/07, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red-06-GT
Hey CR,

Any word on when you’ll post the pictures of the spots on the drive shaft tunnel that may need to be “massaged” on lowered Mustangs? I'm teetering on the fence regarding this mod, and want to get an idea of what potential clearance issues I may encounter after installing my Eibach springs. How much test driving did you do on the Mustang you installed the shaft on in the pictures? I’m not sure what springs are on the car but it looks like it’s been lowered. Did you drive on rough roads and give it some heavy acceleration and deceleration? Were there any rub marks on the drive shaft after the test drives? I’m usually not an early adopter but I've spent a bazillion bucks on mods for the spring, what’s a few more right…?
Hey!

That is actually pictures from coast drivelines car they tested it on with a coilover 3" drop. They used it on a road racing course, and there was PLENTY of heavy accelerating and decelerating!! There was absolutely no problems with rubbing. There were no rub marks on the driveshaft.

We installed one that we sold only a day or two before we posted this.

99% of the people with lowered vehicles will have no issues, but for precaution there is a small fix that everyone could do. As the driveshaft exits the back tunnel, there is a bolt holding the emergency brake cable. Ford engineers just bolted it there to make it easy. Unbolt that cable, move it over about 1 1/2" and bolt it back in. That's all! Will not have any affect on the cable (readjustment, etc.)

People with EXTREMELY lowered vehicles may have to do the following... Again, though, everyone could just as precautionary measures to make sure they don't have problems.

In the middle of the floor tunnel, there is a stamping approximately 3/4" x 4" wide. Bump this down flat using a rubber mallot, or whatever you prefer. And one last spot...

Back where that emergency cable bolt was you'll find a 2" by 3/8" wide lip. Bump that up flat and you're done!

Now everyone can do these modifications if they want. This way you could pile 4 fat people into the back seat and still have no issues with rubbing or clearance. Most people will not have to get into this.

We did all three of the above in LITERALLY 5 minutes. That's why I kept saying it's a 5 minute fix!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 10:13 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by spyder7724
i agree with you on never using a junkyard driveshaft. why when you could buy the newest version from ford. it will cost more than $165 though. i've done a bunch of those for members here and it's about $475-500 when using new stuff and done correctly( tig welded on a fixture and computer rebalanced).
Well, if you all read the thread completely I can it done it done locally with no junk parts for $365. Ford Racing sells new ones for $239 $100 to cut and balance and $25 bucks for the flange. All new parts.
Old 2/7/07, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 94tbird
if your worried about clearance issues and your lowered jsut get an adjsutable UCA. BMR or CHE or both great choices
I have some Sphon adjustable LCAs in the basement so I should be set. Just need some warm weather (my 14 year old is dirving me nuts wanting to work on the car in the cold).
Old 2/7/07, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Red-06-GT
I have some Sphon adjustable LCAs in the basement so I should be set. Just need some warm weather (my 14 year old is dirving me nuts wanting to work on the car in the cold).
I still work in the driveway when the garage is full of snowblowers and winter crap. It's a pain in the ***!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 11:10 AM
eci
Banned

Where can I find info on this driveshaft? Weight, power handling etc?
Old 2/7/07, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Chris,

Give me a shout at the shop 610-497-5776 or 3736 ask for C.R.

I would be happy to help you out with it.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor

The weight of this driveshaft is roughly 17 pounds. They use all dana spicer hardware, and are capable of easily handling numbers like 700hp+. They help with acceleration and getting up to RPMs quicker. This piece makes the car feel like a 30hp difference! It's really a nice unit. Has been tested on road race cars up to 128mph with no vibration, and excellent acceleration and deceleration with the lightened rotational mass.

These were made by Coast Driveline out of California who has been doing business since 1975-76 and has been supplying shafts to major companies such as Spicer, Richmond, etc. The guys there are truly genious' when it comes to driveline modifications. You should jump on this modification, as it will be a huge improvement over stock!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor

The driveshaft was installed today on the magazine car for the photo shoot! They are going to go like crazy when the article comes out. Great way to be ahead of the rush and the pricing!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 03:27 PM
Former Vendor

Anyone who buys Coast Driveline Driveshaft gets 10% off the MSD DashHawk! That's $270 for the DashHawk or a total of $859.99 SHIPPED TO THE DOOR!!!
Old 2/7/07, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I looked on CDs site and couldn't find any info. What type of warranty comes with the DS and harware?
Old 2/7/07, 03:47 PM
Former Vendor

If you have any problems with them, Coast Driveline is very good with warranty issues. They use all name brand components, who actually warrant their products.

Coast Driveline has been in business since 1975, they're great guys who can answer any questions, and know their stuff!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
If you have any problems with them, Coast Driveline is very good with warranty issues. They use all name brand components, who actually warrant their products. There are a few other companies who are putting together 3" shafts that are junk components. They dont have a 4" shaft which is also NEEDED for stability. High horsepower vehicles at high speeds will need that 4" shaft.

Coast Driveline has been in business since 1975, they're great guys who can answer any questions, and know their stuff!!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Well i wouldn't say that. Denny's makes a great 3" Steel Shaft and although it is Steel it is only about 4lbs heavier than the 4" Aluminum Caost sells. It also has zero clearance issues. And the warranty truly is unbeatable. They even have a Labor warranty. Not to mention it has even beefier U Joints.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/ford_mustang.html

Richard
Old 2/7/07, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 04:16 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Good luck with the Sale...
Old 2/7/07, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
The reason these shafts are 4" isn't because of stability, it's because they are made of aluminum. If these shafts were 3" they wouldn't be able to withstand much force.

This is why they need to be 4" as opposed to the steel 3" shafts.

Don't give out false info again man.

Why would you say:

How can you say if someone will have problems in a few months running someone elses shaft? Do you have info on this other shaft about it going bad that we don't know of?

The only people who care about the magazine coverage are the people who are easily persuaded by the hype! Magazines ALWAYS inflate the numbers and they all have their favorites.

If someone buys this shaft based on the magazine coverage, they shouldn't be this far into mods anyways! That or they have more money than sense.

Real world experiance is what counts, not big dollar companies who throw out free products to magazines for exposure.

It's already known that B&M will have an article along side with this shaft, so why would Chris mention any issues with the shaft. You're best to brag about an unbiased opinion. Not someone who is dipping into the same pockets as Coastline...
That is correct. Have you ever taken a look at the aluminum shafts Ford and Chevy put in the light duty trucks? There like 6" shafts and those are not even high horsepower trucks. They have to be that large to withstand the pressures and stresses created. If they were steel they would be half the size. Also being a magazine don't mean squat. I know many cars and truck that have appeared in magazines and have seen many of them up close and personal and trust me over half of them do not even come close to being as good as they try to make them look. Who do you think pays for those magazines to be on the shelf and sent to our doors? It sure isn't those of us buying them. If it wasn't for the advertisers they would not even be published so they tend not to bite the hand that feeds them. And while i like the 4" Shaft there have been kown issue with clearance on lowered cars with them and I myself do not feel like "Massaging" the body of my car to make it fit or not hit. I instead will choose the smaller 3" steel Shaft from a very well known driveshaft maker.

Richard
Old 2/7/07, 04:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Actually, if you've ever heard of critical speed you'll know that a 4" diameter driveshaft is needed for added stability at high speeds.

Thanks
CR
Tillman Speed

Really.......... what diameter is the stock shaft?

Also in your previous thread, you implied that you've installed this shaft on a S197 with no problems but I asked if you had actually done so, and you never responded. Have you installed one or not? Curious about the results........
Old 2/7/07, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love the response to the warrenty issue as well....
Old 2/7/07, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

As far as beefy U-joints go... DANA SPICER. That's as good as it gets, period!
Sorry but there is a difference between the Spicer joint and the 1350's that Denny puts in his shaft are in fact stronger than the 1330's that Coast uses. Here is a little bit of info on the differance.

The "series" of a driveshaft or universal joint is determined by the actual dimensions of the u-joint. While the front and rear u-joint can be of two different sizes the shaft is only as strong as the smaller one. The 1310 series u-joint measures approximately 3 1/4 inches wide. The 1330 and 1350 both measure approximately 3 5/8 wide. The 1310 and 1330 series can have cap diameters of 1 1/16 and/or 1 1/8 inch or a combination of both sizes. The 1350 series has a cap diameter of 1 3/16 inch and the body and journals are bigger than the 1310 or 1330. Remember 1350 is almost never found in production car driveshafts.

Again i am not bashing Coast but i think it is only fair that when you come and say that they are the best period that it be correct info. I also think that when you say all the 3"hafts on the market are junk that you should also know for fact NOT opinion what you are talking about. There are many people on all forums that are new to modding in general and when they see someone such as yourself saying something they take it as the Gospel and You as a Seller owe it to them and all of us to know what your talking about. Those newbies also tend to take your word over some of us that have more real world experience just because you are a Aftermarket Product Seller which is sad. You should not make things worse. I am not trying to attack/bash you. I actually do not know you so that would be stupid of me to do. But the people need to know this type of stuff and not be taken in by all the "HYPE"

Richard

Quick Reply: Coast Driveline Aluminum Driveshafts - UPDATED