GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/07, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch?

Well since my car knowledge is small and I've never owned a standard car, When exactly am I looking at clutch replacement? Also what are the symptoms that it needs to be replaced? It feels like mine isn't as sticky as it used to be. Thanks guys!

Caleb
Old 3/8/07, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor

Go for a SPEC clutch, you won't regret it! Let me know if you need pricing.

Now as far as the symptoms go.. it will start to grab softer and softer until you can feel the clutch slipping in most cases. If you dont feel that it's engaging like it used to, its probably got some wear. You'll know you need a new one when you have to drop the RPMs in order for the clutch to grab. Most people like to replace before this situation, as it's impossible to tell how much longer it will last.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 3/8/07, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

hmmm interesting.... I would love to go witha performance clutch but I have one of the packages with ford so its free!
Old 3/8/07, 02:03 PM
Cobra Member

whats the mileage life roughly for the stock clutch?
Old 3/8/07, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

When your in third gear and you nail it, while going uphill and you don't accelerate...

On my turbo integra, when accelerating with the hammer to the floor and the hamsters running their heart out... it would surge as the clutch would grab and release... eventually just not allowing the car to go pretty much anywhere.
Old 3/8/07, 11:39 PM

My stock clutch went to crap at roughly 19000 miles. Of course this was also from driving the car hard and beating the crap out of it at the track. I suggest going with a Spec clutch as well. I just put one in my car and absolutely love it. It's like my car is a completely different car now.

CR we need to talk about your Spec pricing. I'd like to know what you sell them for cause I've got a friend who is needing one soon and you've helped me so far so I'd like to return the favor.
Old 3/8/07, 11:51 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
My stock clutch went to crap at roughly 19000 miles. Of course this was also from driving the car hard and beating the crap out of it at the track. I suggest going with a Spec clutch as well. I just put one in my car and absolutely love it. It's like my car is a completely different car now.

CR we need to talk about your Spec pricing. I'd like to know what you sell them for cause I've got a friend who is needing one soon and you've helped me so far so I'd like to return the favor.
William,

Not a problem, just let me know what we need to match or beat, and we'll do it! This is another item that I'm currently programming into our online store. From what I've been told, our spec pricing is quite good! I keep alot of SPEC clutches in stock, and dropship whatever Stage clutches we dont have here.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 3/9/07, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
Well since my car knowledge is small and I've never owned a standard car, When exactly am I looking at clutch replacement? Also what are the symptoms that it needs to be replaced? It feels like mine isn't as sticky as it used to be. Thanks guys!

Caleb

If you try to do a burn out and the smoke comes out from under the middle of the car, you have clutch problems.

If a smoky burnout smells rancid but not like burnt rubber, you have clutch problems.
Old 3/9/07, 12:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mot250
If you try to do a burn out and the smoke comes out from under the middle of the car, you have clutch problems.

If a smoky burnout smells rancid but not like burnt rubber, you have clutch problems.
OK, that would be me....definately not a drag racer. I just replaced my differential, now the clutch! so what stage Spec clutches is everyone using?
Old 3/9/07, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 05BlackGT
OK, that would be me....definately not a drag racer. I just replaced my differential, now the clutch! so what stage Spec clutches is everyone using?
Go with the SPEC stage 2 or 2+ clutch!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 3/9/07, 02:59 PM

I have a 3, but I plan on having quit a bit of torqe. A 2 or 2+ would be plenty for just about anyone. Give CR a call he can make you a great deal on one. I already checked my best price against his and his is right there with mine.
Old 3/9/07, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the kind words Will! How does the 3 feel on the S197's? That's the only stage I haven't driven...

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 3/9/07, 03:16 PM

It's taken some getting used to, but it feels pretty much like stock just grabs a million times better. The release point is high on it as well and makes it really easy to shift. It has honestly completely changed the way my car drives. When I hit second hard grabs so well. It's easy to chirp the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Old 3/9/07, 03:27 PM
Former Vendor

Hmm, that's good to know. If what you're saying is true, then it's more streetable than what SPEC has told us. It sounds like it's not bad at all... a stock feel only harder bite... I'm gonna start stocking a few.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 3/9/07, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

So I'm guessing a stage 1 clutch would be a waste? I'm an Autox/road racer and need a smooth engaging clutch. Also, is it a good idea to replace the slave cylinder(throwout) at the same time? Strange that with my last three mustang I never had to replace a clutch.
Old 3/9/07, 04:00 PM

A stage 1 wouldn't be a waste but from what I've been told a 2+ is a smoother clutch. I have the 3 as stated before and aside from first gear all other gears are extremely smoothe engaging, it just really depends on your driving style.
Old 3/9/07, 04:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the feedback. Did you go with a steel or aluminum flywheel?
Old 3/9/07, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor

Go with a stage 2+ or 3. That will come complete with clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and alignment tool. You can resurface your flywheel (which is reccommended in any clutch install) or if you're looking aftermarket go with a lightweight steel if you daily drive the car.

If all you did was road race the car, I'd reccommend the aluminum. For streetability, you'll need the rotating mass of the lightweight steel. It's still much lighter than the stock steel flywheel.

That's my personal opinion. It's a setup that has been working in Tremec's for years now!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/10/07, 12:35 AM

I just resurfaced mine stock flywheel. I plan to do a built bottom end and didnt' feel like purchasing another flywheel when that is done.
Old 3/10/07, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Go with a stage 2+ or 3. That will come complete with clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and alignment tool. You can resurface your flywheel (which is reccommended in any clutch install) or if you're looking aftermarket go with a lightweight steel if you daily drive the car.

If all you did was road race the car, I'd reccommend the aluminum. For streetability, you'll need the rotating mass of the lightweight steel. It's still much lighter than the stock steel flywheel.

That's my personal opinion. It's a setup that has been working in Tremec's for years now!

CR
Tillman Speed
I Agree with CR on this.. if you daily drive the car use a lightened steel flywheel.I am running the prototype Mcleod RST clutch in my car now with the aluminum flywheel and although it revs up super quick and it a whole different animal now, the throttle is so touchy, its difficult to learn the 'sweet" spots on the car now. If you do want "light to light" acceleration though, the aluminum flywheel will definately reward you though!...

Quick Reply: Clutch?