GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Charge Motion Delete Plates - revisited

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/08 | 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Old 2/12/08 | 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I was thinking about doing this mod and called a reputable speed shop and asked their opinion. BTW they sell Steeda economy plates.

I was told that since I am N/A they don't recommend the plates unless I have 3:73 or lower gears. The plates don't really benefit you until you are around 4000 rpms and above. He also said that you actually lose alittle low end torque and it is noticable driving around at half throttle.

I am not disputing what the guy had to say, I was just wondering if anyone wanted to jump in here with comments. Remember 3:55 gears and N/A please~
No offense but I'm not going to bother doing that when I can get a free tune from Brenspeed (when and if) I buy the plates since I already run their tune.

ok I take that back. when (IF) you go buy the plates, make sure you get the steeda billet plates for $350....they really are way better.
Old 2/12/08 | 09:39 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Faber

ok I take that back. when (IF) you go buy the plates, make sure you get the steeda billet plates for $350....they really are way better.
Hey there,

We have the Steeda plates for $299.95 - http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...&model=MUSTANG

Free shipping ($9.95 I&H Fee).

Page
Old 2/12/08 | 10:41 AM

when (IF) you go buy the plates, make sure you get the steeda billet plates for $350....they really are way better.
I got the Budget Gourmet economy plates.
Old 2/12/08 | 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

i made the huge mistake of making my own....it is too bad they work so well. I just wish i would have spent more cash

BTW thanks for the writeup Bill! you should compile all of those into a book and sell it. I would buy it not only for the great instructions but on principle alone!
Old 2/12/08 | 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Dave,
I just ordered breathers and some vac caps. I am going to delete the PCV system all together. I had the Moroso catch can and couldn't find a spot to put it in my engine bay.

Another thing that's great about this mod, especially on a boosted motor, is that it keeps the octane constant. Oil (blowby) induced into the engine decreases octane which could lead to detonation.
Are you planning on some sort of evacuation system, even just draft tubes dropped under the car? With just breathers, you may wind up with more crankcase pressure which will cost a couple of ponies... If you're going "old school," take a look at the breather setups on some older drag cars, where they tied a siphon tube into the exhaust headers to create negative pressure in the crankcase. I'm pretty sure the idea was reducing windage-related losses. I've also seen siphon tubes dropped under the car (secured to a frame rail) to allow the airflow under the car to suck out the badness. Push-on breather with a hose nipple on it is what they used.

Just a thought. I've got a convenient place to mount my separator, so I'm just going to stick with that. With your centri, though, I could see how you might run out of real estate.

Gotta pull the can, change some fitting angles, and polish it up, but I'm happy for now.
Old 2/12/08 | 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed a set a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any loss in low end torque or HP. I lost about .5 GPM (I think) The reason I finally installed them is that EVERY dyno sheet I saw posted online showed HP and TQ increase through out the RPM range.
Old 2/12/08 | 06:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

i made the huge mistake of making my own....it is too bad they work so well. I just wish i would have spent more cash

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but if you did your own plates and are happy GREAT! Why would I even consider the $350 billet plates when economy plates would be fine for my application?

I have decided that I don't want to lose the ability to just take off the CIA, install the stock air box and reflash to OEM tune. Sooooooo I won't be doing this mod. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sometimes it sucks living in Kalifornia~
Old 2/12/08 | 08:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Are you planning on some sort of evacuation system, even just draft tubes dropped under the car? With just breathers, you may wind up with more crankcase pressure which will cost a couple of ponies... If you're going "old school," take a look at the breather setups on some older drag cars, where they tied a siphon tube into the exhaust headers to create negative pressure in the crankcase. I'm pretty sure the idea was reducing windage-related losses. I've also seen siphon tubes dropped under the car (secured to a frame rail) to allow the airflow under the car to suck out the badness. Push-on breather with a hose nipple on it is what they used.

Just a thought. I've got a convenient place to mount my separator, so I'm just going to stick with that. With your centri, though, I could see how you might run out of real estate.

Gotta pull the can, change some fitting angles, and polish it up, but I'm happy for now.
I am running a simple system (and cheap). Here is a picture of what I am planning on doing:

Old 2/12/08 | 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

That is a nice simple system, and a good looking one to boot...

All I'm talking about is substituting this:

for the vented breathers. The "syringe" part of the kit is actually a check valve, and is designed to be welded into the collectors, using the exhaust flow to generate the venturi effect that creates crankcase vacuum. OR, you could just use the breathers and drop a tube down to the frame rail. The airflow under the car blowing across the tube will create some vacuum in the crankcase. By no means "telling you what to do," just offering some food for thought, or other ideas to consider. The kit runs $40 at Jeg's, and the breathers are $8 each at Summit, just to put a ballpark price on things...
Old 2/12/08 | 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but if you did your own plates and are happy GREAT! Why would I even consider the $350 billet plates when economy plates would be fine for my application?

I have decided that I don't want to lose the ability to just take off the CIA, install the stock air box and reflash to OEM tune. Sooooooo I won't be doing this mod. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sometimes it sucks living in Kalifornia~
Yes man, I was being totally scarcastic. I originally posted offering an option that would save you some cash should you decide to do the mod. but you replied with what seemed like "no offense but why would i want to save money?" so yeah, I was a little confused, and allot scarcastic

good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Old 11/30/22 | 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I think I know what speed shop you're talking about, too. They always try and sell people on the gears at the same time.

However, that's bullcrap. You could have a stock air box, pull out the butterflies, and find tons of top end horses. PM me if you're interested in a super deal on some.

CR
Tillman Speed, Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
please fill me in. Sorry im a little late, building my first Mustang and need any pointers possible. Ordering a twin 64mm TB next week and was just going to order an intake to clean it up. N/A with stock gearing for now. Very very interested in this mod, please help..
Old 11/30/22 | 06:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

N/A will not benefit from bigger throttle body, save yourself the money and the likely hassles

check Steeda.com to see if they still sell the charge motion delete plates
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (11/30/22)
Old 11/30/22 | 12:32 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by 812s197
please fill me in. Sorry im a little late, building my first Mustang and need any pointers possible. Ordering a twin 64mm TB next week and was just going to order an intake to clean it up. N/A with stock gearing for now. Very very interested in this mod, please help..

Originally Posted by Bert
N/A will not benefit from bigger throttle body, save yourself the money and the likely hassles

check Steeda.com to see if they still sell the charge motion delete plates
Agreed! Unless your also upgrading to larger heads, cams or upgrade towards forced induction, the stock engine components aren't capable of taking in larger amounts of airflow for which they weren't designed for.. Therefore, don't fall for a bunch of marketing hype B.S that some aftermarket vendors claim will provide huge gains over stock.. Its nothing more than just snake oil lol... Just as Bert brought up above, save yourself the money and use that towards mods which your engine will benefit from... A great place to start would be adding a cold air intake along with getting a good custom calibration tune to pair with it... As for the Steeda charge motion plates? They do in fact still offer those for sale on their website for which I've attached a link below, but just keep in mind you won't notice any gains in the lower/midrange RPMs but rather only in the upper/top end ranges.. In addition, you will also lose some torque while in the lower RPM ranges as well... Meanwhile, welcome aboard and best of luck.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-billet...-555-3125.html

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/30/22 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (11/30/22)