GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

changing out an axle.

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/05, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Idrvadodgstr8us@June 28, 2005, 10:53 AM
but to go haphazardly into a bunch of performance parts that have no bearing on his goals to me is stupidity.
Im going to quote 169 now.

"you dont know what your talking about" or somehow you are very ignorant.

-Dan
Old 6/28/05, 01:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Back to the topic at hand. I was a mechanic for over 7 years, and have seen the rear ends done. But it was always done by someone that had done plenty before. It sound slike you can do the job 169, but if possible have someone there that has done several. It will save you a headache and maybe some money in the end. Good luck
Old 6/28/05, 01:13 PM

I posted that you have no idea what your talking about because you said that I'm in a "battle of the pocketbooks," as if I'm either buying stuff just to buy it or I can't afford to "go big" with the poweradders. You are a bit cocky, thinking you know who I am, or what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it. You have no idea what I'm about or who I am and you are not my father. I give you a tidbit...I've been racing, at the track, since last December. I've won a little bit of money, and a couple trophies. Does this mean I know it all-no way. I know there is tons of info for me to learn and that I'll never know it all, due to changes. Do you think I would be on here asking questions if I knew it all? The only flames started due to you instigating a flame. You came into a thread that I was inquiring info about and you then suggest that 1. I'm wasting my money changing out the axles 2. That I should learn basic motor skills before diving into the rear.
You have no clue how or what steps I'm taking in my modding process. For some reason, you think you know it all. That's your first mistake because you miss good info.
I could install nitrous or throw a blower on there and boast about times...for what. I post my mods and the times I'm getting for other's benefit. I'm not ready to run in the NMRA circuit. I have more to learn. I'm doing things before they break and setting this car up the way I want. I'm doing this with info I'm gathering from forums, manuf., performance shops, and other racer's. I definately don't take info from people that think they know it all. I guess there's a reason you were banned once before.
Old 6/28/05, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by sodaman@June 28, 2005, 1:12 PM
Back to the topic at hand. I was a mechanic for over 7 years, and have seen the rear ends done. But it was always done by someone that had done plenty before. It sound slike you can do the job 169, but if possible have someone there that has done several. It will save you a headache and maybe some money in the end. Good luck
That's what I figured I need to do. I've seen guys have a hard time just placing shims, setting the pinion, and getting the backlash 100%. I'm willing to learn it! I entertained going to the junk yard and buying a rearend to mess around with or finding one that someone is discarding. I know it's very entailed, I just wanted to see if someone had any input, without the extra BS. (not referring to you)
Old 6/28/05, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Could you please show how that statement was ignorant? i am having a tough time following your logic. I would really like to know how you have established a basis to determine that I dont know what I am talking about....and in turn... what, in fact, enables you to make this judgement in terms of your skill set or knowledge base on the subject at hand? Furthermore, unless you can explain to me the benefits of swapping out a 31-spline rear axle, which in my experience has shown time slips of 10 seconds, for something new, i don't see the purpose of your comments unless of course their sole purpose is to flame. I may not understand everything about this vehicle, but i have excellent resources, as well as a knowledge in drag racing, to provide a few comments that are ment entirely as suggestion, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 6/28/05, 01:33 PM

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG. Dave.I have to agree with Joe on the axles.Our cars come with 31 spline axles.You aint breaking those.You have been putting so much money in the rearend you should buy now just order a complete 9inch for it.
Dave, just keep running your car and get as much seat time as possible.Once your slicks are on your Bogarts the car will change once again.
Joe,You kinda are giving Dave a hard time.he is learning and has Had some rearend problems.
Some people like to keep the Mod companys in business.I also am trying to get as far as possible with things that work(proven) and or I can make.It is so easy to just keep ordering things and being disapionted with the results.
Old 6/28/05, 01:38 PM

You don't know what you're talking about in regards to what I'm doing. You state "I see people like you" and so on. What makes you think that what I'm doing is haphazard. You don't know what I'm doing. That's what I'm saying. I don't know what you know as far as knowledge, but I do know that anything you think you know about what I'm doing is wrong. Unless you're here watching me build this car and see what I'm doing or know my plans, you just don't know. You think putting aftermarket axles are a waste...based on what. What am I doing next to this car? What will I be doing in a year? You don't know. Do you really think I'm putting in Moser axles just to say, Hey, I have moser axles. Get a clue buddy and mind you business. If you have something constructive to say, I'm open ears. If you have some questions for me, fire away, if it'll help you give good advice. To just get on here and spew words, doesn't help anyone. Get off your high horse!

I do understand that the stock 31 spline are good. Why do you give a rats azz whether I put in different axles? I don't care. Who really cares? On top of that, I'm not paying full price for everything.
Old 6/28/05, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

169stang

Changing axels is not a hard job. I have done my share over the years. A gear swap is a little more complicated but still it is not that difficult. My best advice is to have a factory service manual and follow step by step and do not be in a rush
Old 6/28/05, 01:59 PM
GT Member

haha i never said i cared what you do to your car...just some advice man. I think you need to chill a bit before you stroke out on the top end of the 1/4.... might need to invest in those new mozer heart valves after that last post :P

For the 10th time....im just giving a little advice. Your post was not totally clear initially "changing out an axle, whats involved?" well im telling you the other aspect of whats involved...and its why do you want this? the basis of this comment was due to my prior experience with those who mod...they often find themselves asking what can i do? instead of why should i do it? you seem like a cool guy who is into racing...just wanna show you that you might be able to dedicate funds elsewhere in the vehicle to improve your 1/4 mile time. We drive 2005 mustangs here...were not talking ferraris....were all roughly on a similar budget.
Old 6/28/05, 02:20 PM

Joe, I would have been more than happy to explain these questions that you post now, but in the beginning, you didn't ask why. You basicly stated that it was a waste. I didn't ask what I can do. I asked what's involved in changing out the axles. I can go to a few of my buddies and ask the same question. I just asked the question here, 9pm at night to see what input I could get here. With what my plans are, I have been asking what's next. I now have a series of things going on. Is a new axle going to get me better ET's, no. I'm not into wasting money. I have done some things that were more or less testing for someone. Did it cost me anything? No. You shouldn't assume we are all on the same budget. That's what I'm talking about. You just don't know.

Listen, I don't mind anyone's opinions or facts. I try to absorb all that I can. I just don't care for the way you came across. I really feel this was a waste of time, when I could be learning something productive.
Old 6/28/05, 03:12 PM
GT Member

like getting a new rear end in?

if its not going to lead to better ET's then why would you do it? so confusing. thanks for testing out parts for me...now i know what and what not to do
Old 6/28/05, 03:24 PM
GT Member

but then again you couldnt have said it better yourself...

I want to remain N/A...maybe going with new cams and heads....

then you go on to say:

I'm N/A currently but will eventually go to some poweradder

Now why on earth would you want to have big heads and cam with a blower? This is the contridiction i am talking about...there are heads and cams that are DESIGNED for supercharger and turbo applications. Furthermore, i said that we are all roughly in the same boat as mustang owners...im not just talking money here...but lets face it we all have something in common...were not talking about our lambos or anything else.

I admit i can come off strong but its a logical argument...just think about it. sometimes you can become so involved in your project that you dont wanna hear any viewpoint other than those which agree with yours
Old 6/28/05, 03:26 PM
GT Member

and btw i got banned before for my comments regarding pictures of mine. The reason why i am not posting the pictures i have of the new cobra that has been running around michigan.

one is yellow with silver stripes and the other is a convert in lime green.
Old 6/28/05, 04:26 PM

Joe, you can keep your pictures. There's nothing contradicting about "maybe P&P, cams" and going to a poweradder eventually. You said it yourself, there are some designed for both combinations. You don't know what I'm doing.
Your argument about doing something that won't add ET isn't valid. Why would anybody add any additional welds to a chassis. Why would anyone goto a 9" rearend? Why would anyone goto a TKO or some other beefed up tranny? I ask questions when I don't have a viewpoint. That's what questions are for. Maybe you should remain banned!
Old 6/28/05, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Joe, you are causing too much of a fuss here. Just leave the conversation, you are not adding anything constructive to it and you are not going to win anything so just stop already.

-Dan
Old 6/28/05, 04:46 PM

That's alright Dan, I'm done here anyway. He's a know it all and I must have been bored to continue on with this idiot. It's pretty funny actually. Imagine his wife or "partner." (I'm not implying anything. You just can't assume anything these days.) I feel sorry for that person.
Old 6/28/05, 04:53 PM
GT Member

uhm excuse me Dan, I avoided any name calling to 169 stang... i dont think its proper to refer to me as an idiot. I have my own viewpoints, albeit drastically different from 169, but i think he may have to review the rules of this forum. I dont feel name calling is the correct answer to any of our problems. Surely insulting my significant other is a sign of mere desperation....and i find it rather childish. I would ask that if further insults like this continue that the mods (whomever they may be) lock this thread. I am not the only one causing a fuss. From my viewpoint he has been adding fuel to my argument. I feel it is unecessary for you to single me out as the only one at fault here.

I am sorry if i offended you 169, i was just stating my opinion, if you would like to further continue this conversation, i can send you my email via pm, or my phone number.

Thanks
Old 6/28/05, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Idrvadodgstr8us@June 28, 2005, 2:56 PM
I am not the only one causing a fuss.
Fusser! cream pie, yum

-Dan
Old 6/28/05, 05:24 PM

lol
Old 6/28/05, 05:31 PM