GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

changing out an axle.

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/05, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm not much afraid of doing anything mechanical, as long as I have the proper equipment and instruction. I received my Moser axles yesterday. I was looking to doing it myself instead of having it done. I really don't like getting into the rearend, but it's about time I learn. Does anyone have a source or info on replacing the axles. I did get the c-clip style (as opposed to clip eliminator type). I also got them with the race studs, so the studs will stick out a little bit on the stock wheels, but sure will look purdy on the D-10's.
Old 6/24/05, 12:51 AM
Cobra R Member

This has to be a joke!!!
Old 6/24/05, 06:41 AM

...and why is that? Is changing the axle's a lot easier than I know?
Old 6/24/05, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 169stang@June 24, 2005, 6:44 AM
...and why is that? Is changing the axle's a lot easier than I know?
I don't see the joke, either.

Swapping axles is pretty straight forward due to the c-clip design. I had to replace too many on my old Wrangler (Dana 35 rear POS) and the Ford 8.8 is very similar in design--just a lot larger! Now, this is from memory (a buddy of mine had a swapped-in 8.8 in his Wrangler), but after you drain the diff and unbolt the cover, all you do is remove the cross-shaft, push the axles in, then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the c-clip. The axles pull right out.

*EDIT* Just realized you don't have the stock carrier. Not sure how the Auburn is to gain access to the clips. If you have put in the TruTrac, I think there is some sort of access cover for the c-clips--easier than stock.
Old 6/24/05, 07:15 AM

I appreciate it!
Old 6/26/05, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

I see it as a joke because all the things he has done to his car then ask that question. I think he knows full well how to do it and is testing the waters.
Old 6/27/05, 04:04 PM

I have done quite a bit to the car. I didn't do the rearend myself and never have tapped into the rearend of any car or anything for that matter. -_- I really want to know how to do gears and such myself. I'm gathering all the tools necessary to do so and am trying to learn the little tricks as well. I will be ordering me a backlash measuring tool soon here. I just want to know what insight anyone may have on pulling the axles.
Old 6/28/05, 07:35 AM
Cobra R Member

If this is your first time going into a rear end, You want someone that has done a lot of them with you. Last thing you want to do is screw it up, and yes there is an art to it. Lots of things you need to check with in proper specs, as well as experience is a good thing. Go ahead and do it. but do it with someone that knows what there doing. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old 6/28/05, 08:18 AM
GT Member

Personally, a rear end is the last thing you need right now with a 12.80 pass being your best time. If you were dipping into the 10's I could see a new rear end...but this car comes stock with a 31 spline rear axle...it will take a pounding thats for sure. Ive seen people run much better times in an IRS cobra...and we all know how that rear end is. To each his own but I know on a first hand basis that rear ends are horrible to work on. If you hear a whine after your done....you messed up. just my 2 cents
Old 6/28/05, 09:36 AM

Hey Joe, I see that you're new to the forums. First of all, welcome aboard. Second, If you do a little searching around here, you'll find that some of these guys, including myself, have done quite a bit of modding. Not everyone is modding their car to put in a car show or to be luxurious. I've already spread the stock differential and ripped the spider gears out of a brand new Auburn Pro on my 4th pass. I now have a Detroit Tru trac which is holding up. I am at the track atleast twice a week. I'm waiting on some custom 15" Bogart wheels to arrive so I can put 28" ET Drag slicks on the car. I want this car to be able to handle whatever power I give it. It's not a dodge stratus. It's an 05 mustang that everyone is having to learn about. I've also had to replace the clutch. Look at the signatures and maybe look at the persons previous post's or threads and you can get the feel of what direction they've been heading with their car. I've done some things to my car that isn't for everyone. I'm the type of person that likes to do it right the first time so I'm not having to do it again. At the same time, I want to learn certain mechanical skills that I've never acquired. Don't be offended by this post, I'm not trying to flame you. Just trying to help you get your ducks in a row.
Old 6/28/05, 10:02 AM
GT Member

169stang, perhaps i should welcome you to the forums. I have been here for quite some time, (in face since before the 05 came out)originally under the name CUON24. I do not drive a dodge stratus, in fact i drive two mustangs, one being a 2005 GT. I know my fair share about modding, and have gotten my hands dirty on several occasions . In fact, on any given day of the week i can talk to one of my friends and their motor is down to the block. Currently it is a turbo 5.0. Not to offend you but i know what direction you are heading with the car, i have several friends who have gone into that direction (and spent a lot of $ doing so..im not talking 20 or 30 grand either, way more) so im just trying to give you some advice. It appears that, despite all of your modifications you are still running a relatively low mph. To me this suggests that you dont have enough back pressure or you need to mod up on suspension. Ive seen this countless times before and just giving you my two cents. Often times people get too excited about modding and dont think through their mods, everything should work together in harmony with one another, that will truly provide an excellent racecar.

Finally, I give you a lot of credit for wanting to learn how to do a rear end....but it takes a lot of skill...maybe you should start with basic motor skills and work your way into others. Everyone has to learn somewhere....dont rush into anything
Old 6/28/05, 10:26 AM

It just seems that you are posting without knowing the history on that particular person. It appears that you could know more of what a person was doing if you searched first. The one thing that Steeda learned from my car was that 3" wasn't too big. I didn't loose any backpressure to the point that it affected the performance. As I have posted all over and you could have seen had you searched, my suspension is not right. I'm currently working on this. It's hard to do much as far as testing when it's raining everyday for 24 days. This car will get into the low 12's maybe 11's when it's setup correctly and with my driving skills improving.
I have a bit more than basic motors skills. This is working my way into the other skills.
Old 6/28/05, 10:54 AM
GT Member

We all know how steeda can be....they are out to make $ trust me. They offer some good parts...but they dont dedicate a ton of research...if it works and makes $ they are all about it.

Not to tell you what to do...but why arnt you going with suspension mods right away then if your axle isnt the problem? You last post doesnt really answer the question. I dont mean to cause problems...just thinking of the most logical step. Thats like saying oh my forged internals can handle 30 lbs of boost but i would rather know that they are made by J.E. .... it sounds to me that your getting into a battle of the pocketbooks moreso than building a racecar....those are fun though...because at the end of it all everyone who is around gets a good deal on the parts that go on and off your car
Old 6/28/05, 11:08 AM

I know Steeda is out to make money. Let me know which company isn't. I went to school with one of their engineer's. I don't know where you get your info about their research habits. It seems that if something works, then they did research it. I building up certain things as I go. The suspension ordeal is not overnight. I just put on some QA1 rear shocks and am changing the pinion angle again. As far as the pocketbooks comment, your talking out of your rear. You don't know what you're talking about. I haven't installed and taken off to sell much of anything except gears. Everything I've done has been incremental. I haven't thrown on 5 mods at one time and let it fly. I want to know what each individual mod does. I think a few on here appreciate that. Either you really don't know what your talking about in your last post or you're trying to instigate and be a waste of time.
Old 6/28/05, 11:20 AM
GT Member

neither...im just saying ive seen what your doing enough times before where i live and it becomes simply that...a battle of the pocket books... you start saying "well i got a 12.80 ....if i only get this i could get a 12.70....or into a low 12" then before you know it youve done ALL of the bolt-ons and your asking yourself.."why didnt i bore it, or slap on a turbo?" then your in a whole new range. It will hit you...im not trying to instigate...just stating my observations...it will hit you one day...just takes time

everyone has to start somewhere with mods...and thats fine...dont have a problem with it. but it sounds to me like you wanna go big, which is great......but why not do it? your playing around with boltons...why not cut to the point? Ive supposedly been talking out of my rear before but i ended up being right with a company called APE in michigan...do some research on them...i know a lot of people that lost major money because i was talking out of my rear.

if steeda researches it then it works? could you explain the issue that they had with the sport springs?
Old 6/28/05, 11:33 AM

I'm not having any issues with my sport springs and am not aware of any issues they are having. If Steeda is having issues, I think it would be Eibach that's having the issue.
I love speed. I love to race. I also like the fact that my car is N/A. I've tossed the idea around about a poweradder-blower or nitrous. No one really knows how these motors will handle the poweradders. They're still learning. I don't own a performance shop. I don't have all the info at the tips of my fingers. I rely on people here and people outside for information. I want to remain N/A for now. I want to see what the best I can do with it this way. I'm just waiting for the aftermarket to have cams, P&P available. Yes there is one or 2 companies that P&P, but what's the point if you can't throw in cams. On top of that, I'm not real comfy with the tuning aspect of these mods. I don't know if SCT or Diablo can tune for them yet. In due time. You were talking out of your rear when you referred to my pocketbook! I don't know what you do, or where you work and I really don't care. You can't make any assumptions about me either, because you simply don't know.
Old 6/28/05, 11:38 AM
GT Member

oh so close! that was the most rational thing you said all day until the end. I totally understand N.A. and thats great...and the cam with heads comment was great too. But the end .... the term "pocketbook" doesnt refer to where you work...its just a term suggesting that you will do whatever it takes (monetary wise) to get into that next time bracket...trust me...you are a textbook definition of it according to those where i live. Its ok though...its not a bad thing...just means that you are into your car and you stop at very little to make it faster. hope ya win the battle

the steeda springs mounting was what i was referring to....an issue with their original fitment
Old 6/28/05, 11:44 AM
GT Member

ive been around the modding world long enough to know how you are...dont have to talk to you long... i make money every weekend on races off of guys like you
Old 6/28/05, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Joe, You sure are acting like you're his father. I cant tell you to stop posting in the maner that you are but you are coming off as the "smart hiney" posting his early "I told you so".

There is nothing wrong with the order that 169 is working in, he is gaining knowledge at the same time he is getting comfortable over what to do next. There is very little need to go big right away unless you want to boast to everyone that your car is the fastest on the Message Boards.

I know that if I spent my time at the track I would work the mods in the same way as he because I'd rather not have a part fail that is neccessary for keeping me running in a straight line, not into the wall.

Lastly, it seems that you are one cocky individual since you had to post that last "i make money every weekend on races off of guys like you".

-Dan
Old 6/28/05, 12:50 PM
GT Member

Well cleveland....if you read previous posts its comments like "you dont know what your talking about" that fuels my flames. Furthermore i said that its fine if he wants to go N.A. but i was just commenting on the fact why beef up the rear end when its fine as is? Theres nothing wrong with learning step by step...its the right thing to do...but to go haphazardly into a bunch of performance parts that have no bearing on his goals to me is stupidity. It's just my two cents and as i said before he can do what he wants...its just my suggestion. It's ok to comment but read where this all started. I wont comment anymore if its offensive...ive just seen this a million times before..

Quick Reply: changing out an axle.