GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CDC Shaker

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/05, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by subzero05@February 4, 2005, 6:31 AM
M1rifle~ If you looked as my post above i also indicated that : Another option I could see is if there is a "filter of some sort located inside the shaker itself!"..So it was not an ABSOLUTE post
That's why I put the the winking smilie! I'm just joking around. I have a daughter that says "I've NEVER been to the ice skating rink since last month".

So that's what I mean, you gotta be careful about making absolute statements, you may contradict them in the next sentence. <grin>

Sorry if I'm such a literalist. I work in technology, it comes with my job.
Old 2/4/05, 11:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So some of you say there is a conical filter in there. I say you or CDC prove it. I still see the gasket material that you see on a stock installation so I'd say there isn't. Also, I have the mMR intake kit which uses the same size conical filter as C&L, K&N, and steeda and those cannot fit in the stock air box, so if there is going to be one in there, in that pic there isn't one.

is it located somewhere else? Could be located directly under the intake, but until CDC replies to my emails who knows..............
Old 2/4/05, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

ah, sorry man..my goof..My kids say the same things all the time!

Adrenalin, looking at it more closely you may be correct!..i too see that now, so then it would stand to reason there should be some sort of filtration in the shaker unit itself?
Old 2/4/05, 12:05 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I took a look at the installation direction for the shaker on the previous model. They do not include an air filter and the intake mounts to the stock air filter box. Odd part is, that too looks like it is allowing unfiltered air into the intake.
Old 2/4/05, 01:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

You know, I know there are some MACH 1 owners on this site, but everytime this topic comes up, none of them post on here to help clear up the questions. On the prevoius MACH 1, how is the air filtered?
Old 2/4/05, 02:04 PM

Just looked through the install instructions and doesn't look that hard to do, I think the hardest part is cutting through the hood and I don't mean as it is difficult to do, just hard cutting a hole in a perfectly good hood.
Old 2/4/05, 03:41 PM
GT Member

I also noticed how the incoming air appears to be bypassing the stock filter setup.

But I doubt CDC would do all the work to design a shaker setup that would not filter the air in some way. That would be idiotic. The question is WHERE the filter is located.

Can't wait to hear the answer.
Old 2/4/05, 04:54 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@February 3, 2005, 4:23 PM
(How do you spell sussposidly?)
dictionary.com
Old 2/4/05, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by SixtySix+February 4, 2005, 5:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SixtySix @ February 4, 2005, 5:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ZwerRacing@February 3, 2005, 4:23 PM
(How do you spell sussposidly?)
dictionary.com
[/b][/quote]
That's the best website, thesaurus.com is pretty good to.
Old 2/7/05, 06:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Well I got an answer from CDC and here it is.
Question: Approx cost with/without hood

Answer: Approx. cost $800.00 w/o hood, no cost w/hood yet.

Question: It appears that the air entering the air filter housing is not being filtered before entering the intake. I can see the stock air filter gasket so to me it looks like the air is not filtered which is not good at all. Is the air filtered?

Answer: The gasket was retained so that the upper air filter housing would remain
tight to the lower. Inside of the filter housing is a cone shape K&N filter
with adaptor for connecting the K&N to the intake air tube.

So now I have sent them the question of would the MMR intake air filter work with this kit?
Old 2/7/05, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@February 7, 2005, 7:29 AM
Well I got an answer from CDC and here it is.
Question: Approx cost with/without hood

Answer: Approx. cost $800.00 w/o hood, no cost w/hood yet.

Question: It appears that the air entering the air filter housing is not being filtered before entering the intake. I can see the stock air filter gasket so to me it looks like the air is not filtered which is not good at all. Is the air filtered?

Answer: The gasket was retained so that the upper air filter housing would remain
tight to the lower. Inside of the filter housing is a cone shape K&N filter
with adaptor for connecting the K&N to the intake air tube.

So now I have sent them the question of would the MMR intake air filter work with this kit?

Good information John - I'll be curious to see what CDC's response is to the MMR Intake Kit fitting.....that was my thought as well - could this system be used with an aftermarket intake kit!!
Old 2/7/05, 11:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

well we most likely would be able to mod the intake for it to work. I already have the MMR Instake so that means I can do a little experimenting to prepare for the shaker system. I definately don't want to lose the MMR kit.
Old 2/7/05, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So, does the CDC system include a conical filter for the $800? Or is that also bought seperately?
Old 2/7/05, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@February 4, 2005, 2:53 PM
You know, I know there are some MACH 1 owners on this site, but everytime this topic comes up, none of them post on here to help clear up the questions. On the prevoius MACH 1, how is the air filtered?
Perhaps you missed this response to your previous inquiry in another thread?
Old 2/7/05, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Tony Alonso+February 7, 2005, 2:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Alonso @ February 7, 2005, 2:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@February 4, 2005, 2:53 PM
Perhaps you missed this response to your previous inquiry in another thread?
[/b][/quote]
Well the whole thread missed it or we wouldn't be discussing it again.
Old 2/7/05, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 4, 2005, 5:01 AM
CDC - WE NEED DYNO Numbers!!!

Wait a minute... how would dyno numbers help, wouldn't the only way the shaker actually made any difference be if you were going down the road.
I understand that if it is a different than stock air filter than numbers would be different, but that doesn't have to do with the shaker.

Old 2/7/05, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by THRUST_+February 7, 2005, 5:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(THRUST_ @ February 7, 2005, 5:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP@February 4, 2005, 5:01 AM

Wait a minute... how would dyno numbers help, wouldn't the only way the shaker actually made any difference be if you were going down the road.
I understand that if it is a different than stock air filter than numbers would be different, but that doesn't have to do with the shaker.

[/b][/quote]

Andy - I hear your point but given the indirect route and the extra length of the intake plumbing from the shaker scoop until finally entering the intake - I don't really think you are going to see much (if any) of a RAM air effect - too many bends in the intake to take advantge of any RAM effect. I was curious how the installed CDC kit compared with the Steeda or MMR CAI with SCT - of course to be "apples to apples" I'm assuming the CDC is using the SCT as well. I suspect it's more of a "visual" mod - but could be mistaken and it is a SWEEEEET visual mod at that!!

I wonder if CDC supplies that single flat black stripe that surrounds the shaker unit and comes down to the front edge of the hood?
Old 2/7/05, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by THRUST_+February 7, 2005, 5:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(THRUST_ @ February 7, 2005, 5:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP@February 4, 2005, 5:01 AM

[/b][/quote]

That sure sounds like a logical statement! I sure don't see how one could test the performance gains from the shaker on a dyno.
That's witty thinking.
Old 2/7/05, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
For the '03-'04 Mach 1s, the scoop's effectiveness was tested by 1/4 mile accelerations with the same Ford engineer driving the car with the scoop blocked and unblocked. The measured difference in time and speed was what was used to demonstrate the scoop worked.

I don't believe dyno testing was considered to validate any power increase claims.
Old 2/7/05, 09:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Alonso@February 7, 2005, 10:15 PM
For the '03-'04 Mach 1s, the scoop's effectiveness was tested by 1/4 mile accelerations with the same Ford engineer driving the car with the scoop blocked and unblocked. The measured difference in time and speed was what was used to demonstrate the scoop worked.

Your right Tony. scoop works like air ram,.

Quick Reply: CDC Shaker