GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Caution with Ford Racing gears--noises in rear

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/05, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but felt it was important enough to post a new thread. I purchased a set of 4.10's from a Ford dealership. I was going to have them install them, but it was like a 1 or 2 wait. I called up Steeda who was able to do the install that day. They installed the gears in about 3 hours. AS soon as I pulled out of Steeda, I hear this noise. It sounded like a gear was warped or something. It was a wop wop wop wop sound. I turned around and they couldn't figure it out right then and it was the end of the day. I bring it back the next day and they start taking it apart, checking everthing as they went. So, they finally got the gears back out and the mechanic noticed a chip out of one of the teeth. It was located on the lower portion of the tooth towards the edge of the gear. Some of the other teeth were not very smooth as well. I bought another set from Steeda and they installed them. Not a single noise or howl. Steeda was great about it. They didn't even charge me to reinstall the new gears. Realistically, they had every right to charge me for the reinstall, due to not buying the gears from them.
Now, the defective gears are getting sent back to Ford Racing and they will inspect them. Then, they will let me know if I can get a refund. It doesn't look too good though because it looks like a chip. The chip is definately from when it was made. There is a coating on the gear and the chipped portion has that coating on it as well. The dealer made it sound grim, but Steeda took the liberty to call Ford Racing on my behalf to tell them what happened. Sortof filling in Ford racing from both ends. Fingers are crossed. If it's a no, I'm out $250. Best of luck to those that are making any noise. Also, I would recommend replacing the bearing while your there, if it's a bad gear set. I did! I just didn't want to take any chances.
Old 2/24/05, 12:14 AM
Cobra Member

David - thanks for the heads up Posts like this are very helpful and I just happen to be in the market for gears!
Old 2/24/05, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I would second getting the gears from whoever does your install. That way they would be more willing to guarantee their work. You may pay $20 more for the gear set but it would probably be worth it.