GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Catted X-pipe in California/Smog Question

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/08, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catted X-pipe in California/Smog Question

Thinking about putting in a magnaflow catted x-pipe on my 07 GT. I know the car should pass smog fine from what I've read, but has anyone run into trouble finding a shop to install the x-pipe? I thought maybe since you're removing the cats to install high flow ones they might give you trouble.

Worst case scenario I can always install it myself, but was hoping I might be able to save the hassle and have a muffler shop do it.
Old 11/16/08, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right off of the Magnaflow website:

New California and EPA rules mandate that:
• The warranty card MUST be returned to the manufacturer.
• Only defective converters that are no longer covered by original vehicle warranty may be replaced.
• This period of time is generally 8 years or 80,000 miles.
• California emissions performance warranty coverage must be in place for 50,000 miles.
• The aftermarket converter and oxygen (02) sensors must be installed in the same location as the original converter.
• Converters can only be installed for applications as specifically listed in the application guide (this generally applies to 1996 and later models).
• The original number of converters must remain in the exhaust system, this includes the original converters that were not replaced.
• Condensing or reducing the number of converters is not permitted.
• A catalyst-related Check Engine Light should not illuminate for at least 50,000 miles after installation. After completing an installation, the OBD-II diagnostics code must be cleared to ensure that the CEL light does not immediately reappear.

Number 2 is where you will have to search for a shop willing to lie about your cat being bad on a new vehicle. If you install it yourself, then you have to find a shop that doesn't have an issue with doing a smog on the car absent any paperwork showing your cat replacement is valid. I would imagine that since the cats sit in the same location as the stock cats that some smog shops won't even notice. However, since the Magnaflow product states "off-road use only" it will then depend on how knowledgeable that shop you go to is on aftermarket products. If they recognize it as an off-road use only item, they may jam you up. On the other hand, they may just look under the car, see cats, and visually approve it. I see it as a crap shoot.

Last edited by 07 GT/CS; 11/16/08 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11/16/08, 02:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In California messing with the cats is serious business and with the State being broke they are just looking for reasons to levy big fines. JMO~
Old 11/16/08, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to mention running into a CHP or street race task force officer who knows his cars. For those inclined to go and conga line with a bunch of chrome Folgers fart can exhaust rides in the middle of the night in some industrial park looking for a race hoping the local gendarmes won't notice, you never know when some expert officer is going to corral you and start inspecting your car for any violation they can lay their hands on. Here are a few sections that an officer can throw at you:

27156(f) CVC- No person shall operate a vehicle after notice by a traffic
officer that the vehicle is not equipped with the required certified
motor vehicle pollution control device correctly installed in
operating condition, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle
to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a
garage, until the vehicle has been properly equipped with such a
device.

24004. No person shall operate any vehicle or combination of
vehicles after notice by a peace officer, as defined in Section 830.1
or subdivision (a) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, that the
vehicle is in an unsafe condition or is not equipped as required by
this code, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle or
combination of vehicles to the residence or place of business of the
owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle and its equipment
have been made to conform with the requirements of this code.
Old 11/16/08, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm, well for new cars we don't have to get Smogged for six years. So if I install it myself I won't have to worry about a smog check till 2013.
Old 11/16/08, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess it depends on the county, but here in San Diego county, if you don't act like a jack-*** and street race or follow a bunch of ricers, the police will leave you alone regardless of your exhaust set-up. I took my mufflers off just to hear it with them and drove around for few min. At the light there was a cop behind me. He didn't pull me over.
Old 11/16/08, 03:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some shops will install it and some won't. Just call around and ask...
Old 11/16/08, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Hmm, well for new cars we don't have to get Smogged for six years. So if I install it myself I won't have to worry about a smog check till 2013.
You might not have to get it smogged, but two days after you do an install you could get pulled over and an officer can write you a ticket for having illegal items on the car. As said though by gmantheman, if you keep your nose clean and steer clear of situations where you might get scrutinized by the cops, you can probably skate for a while. Again, it is a roll of the dice. Murphy's Law always snags me and knowing my luck, I would do an install, drive one block and run into a convention of traffic officers conducting a training exercise just looking for a test vehicle...
Old 11/17/08, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

The factory cats actually flow pretty well so why not go the legal route and install a Short X Pipe.

By the way I highly doubt you would run into any trouble installing and buying the Catted X Pipe from Magnaflow.