GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Car acting weird on long drive today...HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/08, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car acting weird on long drive today...HELP PLEASE

So I am driving home to Austin from Texas A&M which is about an hour or so drive, cruise set about 75 and everything is well until I get behind this big truck and he's doin a good 55 in a 70 so I wait until no cars are coming and I pass..Or try to-

I downshift into 3rd and punch it to get around him quickly, and to have a little fun and the car kinda lurched forward, and back, the hesitated - almost identical to how traction control feels when it kicks on. (Except it was off)

I think WTF just happened? End up passing the guy, then a while later its still on my mind, I end up slowing down to 40mph (Zone changed to 50mph) and tried a quick second gear punch making 100% sure traction and the A/C were off- and it happened again.

I can't get the lurch/hesitation feel to repeat everytime I punch the gas but it has been happening frequently on both the drive to Austin (Thursday) and the drive home to College Station (Saturday) but it DID NOT happen anytime I drove the car on Friday (Still in Austin, but not on any long trips)

Any Ideas? Possibility of a fuel problem, or MAF? This kinda freaked me out.
Old 3/1/08, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the TSB regarding fuel pump hesitation after long drive.....
Old 3/1/08, 08:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 Fuel Pump
Old 3/1/08, 09:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^
Old 3/1/08, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
So I am driving home to Austin from Texas A&M which is about an hour or so drive, cruise set about 75 and everything is well until I get behind this big truck and he's doin a good 55 in a 70 so I wait until no cars are coming and I pass..Or try to-

I downshift into 3rd and punch it to get around him quickly, and to have a little fun and the car kinda lurched forward, and back, the hesitated - almost identical to how traction control feels when it kicks on. (Except it was off)

I think WTF just happened? End up passing the guy, then a while later its still on my mind, I end up slowing down to 40mph (Zone changed to 50mph) and tried a quick second gear punch making 100% sure traction and the A/C were off- and it happened again.

I can't get the lurch/hesitation feel to repeat everytime I punch the gas but it has been happening frequently on both the drive to Austin (Thursday) and the drive home to College Station (Saturday) but it DID NOT happen anytime I drove the car on Friday (Still in Austin, but not on any long trips)

Any Ideas? Possibility of a fuel problem, or MAF? This kinda freaked me out.

Hi,

Possibly the cam phaser issue? Mine does this hot or cold and I am now getting 0340 0344 1000 CEL errors. It also can get this weird stutter at cruise or around town at part throttle. I have to restore the stock tune and go to the dealer and have then check it out.

HTH!
Old 3/2/08, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

yep, sounds like fuel pump. major symptom is the sputtering/lurching while punching the gas after long freeway drives. It's a free fix. It happened to mine while driving from California to Louisiana. They'll need to order the parts (the dealer I took it to in Louisiana didn't have them stocked) took 2 days for the parts to arrive, and they kept my car for 3 hours for the work. Didn't happen on the way back to California, and never happened again. (though I have different fuel setup now)
Old 3/2/08, 05:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Matt, this is the fuel pump TSB. My car did the exact same thing, dealer replaces the fuel pump and sender unit.

Of course now I have the GT500 fuel system- if you go get blown, you're fuel problems will be gone too.

Old 3/2/08, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah only thing Im slightly worried about is them trying some BS saying my Longtubes caused it...Blah
Old 3/2/08, 06:51 PM
I lust for a M24

Print out the TSB and bring it into them. Tell them the problem you're having and then provide them with the TSB printout. The LT's should be a non-issue.
Old 3/2/08, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful when you bring it to the dealer though, I believe they reflashed my computer when they did the fuel pump TSB because the car ran differently afterwards. It used to be sluggish with the A/C on, but not after the fuel pump fix. This was of course, all before I did any mods to the car.

If they do need to flash the computer though, make sure it is reset back to stock tune first.
Old 3/3/08, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Be careful when you bring it to the dealer though, I believe they reflashed my computer when they did the fuel pump TSB because the car ran differently afterwards. It used to be sluggish with the A/C on, but not after the fuel pump fix. This was of course, all before I did any mods to the car.

If they do need to flash the computer though, make sure it is reset back to stock tune first.

Everything he said. If you can, I would recommend removing the bottom of the backseat yourself. They will do this to perform the TSB. I let the dealer do it and had to have them clean it after they laid the leather side down on the greasy floor. I hate when I have to take her to the dealer.
Old 3/3/08, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67

Should I set it back to stock before going to them, even with the LTs and Intake?
Old 3/3/08, 10:45 AM
I lust for a M24

Should I set it back to stock before going to them, even with the LTs and Intake?
Which tuner do you have?
Old 3/3/08, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I wouldn't do that...... you need to tell them specifically to not alter the tune in the vehicle. That's what I've done at the dealer and even taped over it with black tape. You don't want them altering your tune or even your factory tune- even changing your factory tune will alter how your aftermarket tune reacts- not good.
Old 3/3/08, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah Im just worried if I say DO NOT mess with the tune, they are going to respond with - Yeah well its probably the aftermarket tune that messed up the fuel pump
Old 3/3/08, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, again this is what I did, and it worked for me.

Remember the facts:

1) There is a known problem with factory fuel pumps- print and show them the TSB on this.

2) It is your car, they have no right to change or alter the tune at all unless you allow them to do so.

Just trying to help- good luck.
Old 3/3/08, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
mine did it after my pump was replaced
Old 3/5/08, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
mine did it after my pump was replaced
Yikes.....
Old 3/6/08, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Matt,
FYI: Covert, off 183 and Duval, changed out Clockworks fuel pump, under TSB, without asking any questions. They knew about the Saleen S/C sitting ontop of the motor. Good luck!
Old 3/6/08, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Okay great, thanks for the info! Its Scott right?

Quick Reply: Car acting weird on long drive today...HELP PLEASE