GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Can I get the Shelby GT500 Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/07, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never really paid attention to shifters. The main reason i got the the hurst was for looks, and it has a shorter throw than stock.
Old 1/3/07, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

It must just be the tranny in my car. I've been power shifting for over 45 years - on the column and on the floor - and this is the only one I don't feel comfortable with so far.
Old 1/3/07, 02:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

the shifter is remote mounted no matter who you go with. it in itself is not attatched to the tranny save for 1 mounting bolt. the reason most peopel cant powershift is because the engine and transmision torque and flex under load. this throws off the shifter as it doesnt torque with the engine and tranny. you want to solve that? tough you got 2 options spend 5 grand on the D&D performance T56 swap kit or spend like 180 or so and get the CHE k member brace with torque limiters. it ties the tranny into the k-member to minimize the deflection and flex. this wont solve the problem 100% for some people but it does for most.
Old 1/3/07, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 94tbird
the shifter is remote mounted no matter who you go with. it in itself is not attatched to the tranny save for 1 mounting bolt. the reason most peopel cant powershift is because the engine and transmision torque and flex under load. this throws off the shifter as it doesnt torque with the engine and tranny. you want to solve that? tough you got 2 options spend 5 grand on the D&D performance T56 swap kit or spend like 180 or so and get the CHE k member brace with torque limiters. it ties the tranny into the k-member to minimize the deflection and flex. this wont solve the problem 100% for some people but it does for most.

haha I think I'll spend the $180. Where's a good place to pickup the CHE part?
Old 1/3/07, 03:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

www.pmpparts.com

Josh or Kevin Can help you. These guys are similar to doug @ Bamachips. Customer service is exceptional, they are extremely knowedgeable and they are always willnig to help. This is a vendor that i would pay a higher price for the product if i had to just for the service and support they offer
Old 1/3/07, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
www.pmpparts.com

Josh or Kevin Can help you. These guys are similar to doug @ Bamachips. Customer service is exceptional, they are extremely knowedgeable and they are always willnig to help. This is a vendor that i would pay a higher price for the product if i had to just for the service and support they offer

DOH! I knew that- I've purchased from them before. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 1/3/07, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

you got it
Old 1/3/07, 04:59 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
and yes the HURST is the best shifter. Its a great feeling. Notchy feeling come with the STOCK shifter. with the hurst, you have a MORE solid shifter. I love my hurst and wouldn't trade it for any other shifter
I take it you have tried the others? I wouldn't calling it *the best* unless I had tried every other one. Most who have tried them all do not like the Hurst at all.
Old 1/4/07, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

The CHE k member sounds like a possible solution. Thanks for the info.
Old 1/4/07, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by eci
I take it you have tried the others? I wouldn't calling it *the best* unless I had tried every other one. Most who have tried them all do not like the Hurst at all.
Maverick is happier with his Hurst than with his FIRST shifter, which is residing in some landfill somewhere...
Old 1/4/07, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

its mavericks fault i ever bought the B&M in the first palce. He ranted on and on and on in like 100 threads about how he LOVEd his B&M shifter. then it broke and all he did was say how much he HATED his B&M in numerous threads
Old 1/4/07, 01:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
hate to break it to you. I've been underneath the shelby, and it is the SAME EXACT identical shifter, BUT with a modified shifter arm that connects at the top of the transmission (its about 10-12* off to the right facing the vehicle) and a more secure shifter connector at the bottom of the shifter

wow. you just explained how the gt500 uses a different shifter. lol

anywho, +1 on the hurst, make it real nice and more comfortable, and get the chrome handled one. the stock **** is junk comparatively, tonight i am going to throw a t handle on mine
Old 1/4/07, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

the GT500 shifter is a different unit than the GT500. Looks similar but the design is different. the GT500 shifter also utilizes 2 support arms to the tranny vs the regular GT which only uses one. this gives the GT500 a more "Top loader" feel to it but it is still the same ****te remote mounted crap we have. it will have less flex in it than ours does though.

What someone needs to do is create a shifter with a brace that is totally supported by the transmission utilizing the any or all of the 7 engine to Transmission bolts. as long at its not tied to the body in any way. This would resolve all of our shifting issues without changing the transmission
Old 1/4/07, 01:51 PM
Cobra R Member

the GT500 shifter is a different unit than the GT500. Looks similar but the design is different. the GT500 shifter also utilizes 2 support arms to the tranny vs the regular GT which only uses one. this gives the GT500 a more "Top loader" feel to it but it is still the same ****te remote mounted crap we have. it will have less flex in it than ours does though.

What someone needs to do is create a shifter with a brace that is totally supported by the transmission utilizing the any or all of the 7 engine to Transmission bolts. as long at its not tied to the body in any way. This would resolve all of our shifting issues without changing the transmission

exactly. the only way to cure the issue is
1. have the shifter not be attached to the body at all. OR

2.convert to a cable shifter and have it completely atached to the body. but the first one is feasible the second not so much
Old 1/5/07, 08:52 AM

Humm.. still confused

Ok - but for a dumb-a newbie like me who doesn't race, the Hurst will be a million % better than the stock (which I dont like at all). I also love the look so I wonder if it will be ok for me. I am a little concerned with the "noise" someone mentioned - I dont understand what that means. I guess I understand the vibration but dont know why that's an issue.
Old 1/5/07, 09:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
Ok - but for a dumb-a newbie like me who doesn't race, the Hurst will be a million % better than the stock (which I dont like at all). I also love the look so I wonder if it will be ok for me. I am a little concerned with the "noise" someone mentioned - I dont understand what that means. I guess I understand the vibration but dont know why that's an issue.

i have no noise in mine. i love the feel of it. i dont race my car either. it is a nicer shifter all around. i think the trick to the noise is to make sure you grease up the bushings before you install it. thats all
Old 1/6/07, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cheese302
i have no noise in mine. i love the feel of it. i dont race my car either. it is a nicer shifter all around. i think the trick to the noise is to make sure you grease up the bushings before you install it. thats all
OK I pulled the trigger and ordered the Hurst. As I said, it should be a million % better then what I now have. Once I get my CAI, i'll be in business.
Old 1/7/07, 09:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the hurst sucks. so does the B&M. so does the stock. Pro 5.0 is the only way to go. if you like the bling factor of the hurst then get the shift stick from hurst and bolt it onto your pro 5.0 shifter. the hurst is notchy, noisy, rattles and has vibration issues. some dont have the problems but a lot of ppl do.

ive had 4 shifters if you count the stock now.

Stock. Too notchy, didnt liek to shift at WOT, especially the 2-3 shift

B&M: Took a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time to break in but once it did my shifts got quicker and easier. Took half a season of racing to get it there. Shifter creaked and moaned with any movement in the drivetrain. i renamed the ***** and Moan shifter.

Hurst: I only switched to this for the looks. it had a lot of vibration and noise to it. very clunky. I managed to get msot of it to go away but whenever it got cold out the vibration.noise would come back. warm weather it was perfect in the noise department but it still clunked too much for my tastes and WOT shifting was edgy at best. sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldnt

Switched back to the B&M here

Pro 5.0: love everything about it. short shifts, stop bolts, no clunkiness, powershifting is really easy and has no difficulty at all. no added NVH.

FINAL SOLUTION:

i have a pro 5.0 shifter with the Chrome Shift stick and ball from the Hurst Shifter. Looks like a hurst. shifts liek a pro 5.0. best of both worlds.
I love my HURST, but it is all that Ron says!
Old 1/8/07, 02:01 PM
Cobra R Member

i wouldnt mind checking out others. pro 5.0 sounds promising, but i am not getting rid of the chrome handle of the hurst. just looks/feels too nice.

hurst ftw... for now.
Old 1/8/07, 02:04 PM
Cobra R Member

the nerw hurst will come with grease, but make sure you grease up all the bushings with proper urethane grease before install. easy job, should only take you a half hour or so

Quick Reply: Can I get the Shelby GT500 Shifter