GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Can custom tunes wear my engine down more?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/12, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can custom tunes wear my engine down more?

So I got into an argument with my friend about whether customs tunes can wear down an engine quicker and basically lead to a shorter life cycle. Currently all I'm running is stock with a bama performance tune. Personally I don't think these tunes will have much affect on the life on my engine. He was convinced that leaving it on performance tune(vs street tune) can be harmful in the long run. Considering they only add 15-17 hp and are just adjusting fuel/air rations and timing, I don't foresee harm being done to my engine. But I'm not an expert so I figured I'd get some of your guys opinions.
Old 2/6/12, 02:51 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It can have an effect depending on how you drive it. Tunes also adjust knock retard, timing, and fuel trims for different operating temps. I would say a stock engine will out live a tuned engine. Hence why tuning an engine voids the warranty.
Old 2/6/12, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice question I'd like to know too... However I'd like matt from steeda to answer ... There are guys on here who think these cars can only run 13.7 stock lol what do they know ;-)
Old 2/6/12, 02:59 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by silversky545
Nice question I'd like to know too... However I'd like matt from steeda to answer ... There are guys on here who think these cars can only run 13.7 stock lol what do they know ;-)
Just ask me and ill tell you what I know
Old 2/6/12, 03:04 PM
Banned

Yea but if you wanted your motor to last 300k you probably would have bought a Toyota... I'm sure that you could overcome the added hp by over-building the motor with forged internals. I'll bet you break something else before the motor lets go from a more aggressive tune...
Old 2/6/12, 03:06 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by muscledom
Yea but if you wanted your motor to last 300k you probably would have bought a Toyota... I'm sure that you could overcome the added hp by over-building the motor with forged internals. I'll bet you break something else before the motor lets go from a more aggressive tune...
Right. But the question was does the tune shorten the life of an engine. And the answer in most cases is yes.
Old 2/6/12, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking

Right. But the question was does the tune shorten the life of an engine. And the answer in most cases is yes.
O yea absolutely no doubt. Obviously most of us don't give a **** though lol. I mean neither of us bought what we bought to be nice to lol
Old 2/6/12, 03:12 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

O yea absolutely no doubt. Obviously most of us don't give a **** though lol. I mean neither of us bought what we bought to be nice to lol
Exactly. I bought it to drive it hard so what if my engine fails 20,000 miles sooner. At least I had fun. Ill just build it again
Old 2/6/12, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking

Exactly. I bought it to drive it hard so what if my engine fails 20,000 miles sooner. At least I had fun. Ill just build it again
Yea man you know the saying "gotta pay to play." enjoy it and then dump it on some 17yo kid before it blows up lmao
Old 2/6/12, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

My point exactly haha. I mean I didn't buy a mustang gt to go soft with it. It is my daily driver and I have every intention of making this car last a long time but I still want to have my fun with it.
Old 2/6/12, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tu3218

My point exactly haha. I mean I didn't buy a mustang gt to go soft with it. It is my daily driver and I have every intention of making this car last a long time but I still want to have my fun with it.
Yea man! I mean as long as youre not constantly going HAM and over do the hp I wouldnt loose any sleep...
Old 2/6/12, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anybody have supporting documentation or references... I can see an aggressive custom tune from a shop causing the life expectancy of the engine to diminish but not an email tune from BAMA ... been running the race tune from them and the engine feels great to me... unless your driving really hard on the car im sure that contributes but you can say that even with a stock engine
Old 2/6/12, 09:05 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't think a tune (whether performance or street) will shorten your engine's lifespan anymore than just driving the hell out of it stock, so the argument is irrelevant.
Old 2/6/12, 09:37 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I don't think a tune (whether performance or street) will shorten your engine's lifespan anymore than just driving the hell out of it stock, so the argument is irrelevant.
So your saying driving a car stock vs a car with a leaner mixture, advanced timing, increased rev limiter, and different fuel trim strategies will last the same?
Old 2/7/12, 06:00 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm saying driving the **** out of a stock car vs. driving one with a good tune is gonna have a negligible difference in life span.

In general the tuned motor probably isn't gonna last as long. But neither is a stock motor that's constantly got the pedal on the floor. How much will either shorten it's life span? I don't think it's enough to care about.

And if we're talking about life span with a performance vs. street tune...When your engine gives out, I really doubt you'll be saying "****, that street tune probably would've gotten me another 50k mi."

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 2/7/12 at 06:05 AM.
Old 2/7/12, 06:45 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I'm saying driving the **** out of a stock car vs. driving one with a good tune is gonna have a negligible difference in life span.

In general the tuned motor probably isn't gonna last as long. But neither is a stock motor that's constantly got the pedal on the floor. How much will either shorten it's life span? I don't think it's enough to care about.

And if we're talking about life span with a performance vs. street tune...When your engine gives out, I really doubt you'll be saying "****, that street tune probably would've gotten me another 50k mi."
This is all true. But I'm going strictly on the question. And the answer is yes the life is shorter on a tuned engine. Whether it be 5 miles or 20,000 miles it will be shorter
Old 2/7/12, 07:12 AM
Banned

wow... Lol v6 ftw
Old 2/7/12, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...om-tuning.html

Check out what Tylus wrote in this thread. Last post.

Although is sounds like he knows his stuff and it makes sense what he wrote I wont consider this a "credible source"

Hopefully someone from BAMA can provide some feedback to this.

"Tuning can do wonderful things.

From the factory the PCM is programmed with an extremely safe tune to allow the vehicle to run on 87 octane (+ or - a few grades) from any source in the country. It is designed to work at any altitude, in any weather extreme.

To do that, Ford had to leave alot of performance on the table to ensure the safeguards are achieved.

By custom tuning, you are providing your tuner with specific input. Gas grade, altitude, weather conditions (ie: you live in Alaska...or only in Texas). These 3 things are huge. Cold weather alone can fry a motor if the tunign doesn't account for it adequately.
ask Roush how many 5.4 3v motors they had to replace in 2004-2005 because of thier RoushCharger tuning was crap for colder climates
Now, when you custom tune the PCM, you are essentially placing the car on the line between 100% reliability, and the chance for something breaking. The closer to the line you go, the more HP/TQ you achieve.
Any tuner worth his salt will get you close to the line, but will back it off a tiny little bit...a buffer zone to prevent blowing the motor, or burning a hole in a piston.

Some crap tuners could care less and they give the customer the ragged edge. These are the ones to avoid.
A properly tuned car will last just as long as a Factory tuned car. You just need a good tuner who nows his stuff. He'll get you the best performance possible and still have that buffer zone.
also, a custom tuned car will exhibit better MPG's and driving characteristics. They are more efficient and easier to drive.
Bad stuff that can easily happen and I've heard about:
1. remove rev limiter - over-rev & blow motor
2. run lean - burn a hole in a piston
3. flood motor - hydrolock piston"
Old 2/7/12, 09:29 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

That info above is correct. I would say it is credible.
Old 2/7/12, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's a lot of good information. Thanks for that. Just a question concerning "weather conditions". I receive my tunes from bama through american muscle. I don't remember exactly if I had to put in my area code or where I live, but is that something they code into the file when creating my tunes? I ask because when I flash my tunes on my car, at some point there is an option to edit additional settings. I have never clicked that and wondering if that would be found there, to alter weather. I wouldn't think that sort of information would be there but just wondering.

Quick Reply: Can custom tunes wear my engine down more?