GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cams, phasers, and forced induction future....

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/10, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams, phasers, and forced induction future....

I really, really would like to slap a Mammoth KB on the car and call it a day.......BUT, 6k (if I do the labor) is a little outa reach. However, I've been reading up on cams, exhaust, etc, and have some questions that I know you guys and gals can help me with (and have probably answered before....)

I guess it all ties together in the end, so here goes:
Cam phaser limiters/lockouts: I understand the reasons, but at what point do you need them? Any particular lift/duration where they become necessary?

Milder cams with longtubes, or lopier? I know, everyone likes the big rough idle, but I'm looking for hp/dollar, not poser bragging rights.....

I'm thinking about longtubes/cams/throttle body.....is the new intake from FRPP worth the money with these add ons? Are they the only game in town? Haven't seen or heard much about other manufacturers.....

OR, are heads a better idea? If I'm throwing a couple grand into the car, do I realize bigger gains with heads and headers?

I know some of you have pondered these same questions; I'm interested in what direction you took, and what the results were........
Thanks
Old 11/30/10, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best bang for the buck mods for me were a used C&L intake from the for sale section of this forum ($120 shipped), OBX long tube headers ($480 shipped), homemade cmcv delete plates, and a spydershaft.

I bought cams, installed them, had a nice lopey idle, lost power down low (where it was needed) and gained a little after 5500 rpm (where it was useless). removed them, and put the stockers back in. Now this was a few years ago, and I may have gotten a funky set of cams or needed phasers...

Don't spend money on a throttle body. that is just snake oil bro. My car is putting down a little over 500 to the wheels with a blower and it is using the original throttle body. the throttle body is not your bottleneck.

spydershaft is a good bang for the buck mod. any time you reduce reciprocating mass from the drivetrain you redirect the power used to rotate that extra mass to the wheels.

BTW there is a guy trying to sell a kenny belle on the forum right now for a fraction of the normal price. It looks like it needs a few parts, but may be a good option if you are willing to do some footwork.