GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Calling All With Brake Upgrade Experiences...

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/08, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Page, I'm planning on running the 2-piece "ProTouring" in a 20." Larry's offered me a really good deal, but knock a couple $$$ off of it for me and I wouldn't mind.
Old 1/13/08, 06:47 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisHorton
Page, I'm planning on running the 2-piece "ProTouring" in a 20." Larry's offered me a really good deal, but knock a couple $$$ off of it for me and I wouldn't mind.
Just shot ya a PM

Page
Old 1/16/08, 01:58 PM
GT Member

According to Alldata, warranty replacement of calipers, rotors and front & rear lines is 1.1 hours. Non-warranty goes up to 1.9 hours.
Old 1/16/08, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WayneA
According to Alldata, warranty replacement of calipers, rotors and front & rear lines is 1.1 hours. Non-warranty goes up to 1.9 hours.
Interesting... I wonder where some of the 5-6 hour quotes come from even when the kit is a "bolt-on" without need for modifications? I guess that proves the job is definitely for somebody who has done it a few times. Thanks for that information (not to mention everyone else's added knowledge!)
Old 1/16/08, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by autothing
Interesting... I wonder where some of the 5-6 hour quotes come from even when the kit is a "bolt-on" without need for modifications?
You mean like the Earls' SS brake lines with the brackets installed backward from the factory? That's bolt-on too. So is the JCWhitney "universal chrome caliper: fits any year make and model" that also increases gas mileage by 38% and lowers your cholesteral... On a serious level, most shops are leary of "aftermarket" parts because they usually wind up being headaches. If you want a brake job done with factory parts, then yeah, I can see 1.9 hours, plus the shop makes profit on the parts. With an aftermarket piece (and yes, I believe Brembo to be top-shelf), the potential for disaster looms quickly. What would happen, for instance, if after the brakes were on, it turned out that the wheels won't clear? I doubt you'd be happy paying 3.8 hours for them to replace the Brembo kit with the stock stuff... And THEY won't be happy if you leave the car on the rack for a couple of days while you look for the best deal on new rims and tires... What happens if there is a bolt missing from the kit? Or if there is a bad part from the kit? Or if a part just simply doesn't fit? With a factory (or OE equiv) part, they just call back to the warehouse and get another one. With the Brembo kit, it could be days or more before the replacement would arrive, with your car on their hands the entire time. These kinds of situations are why "bolt on" is virtually a joke in the repair industry.

Speed shops are different, for obvious reasons. They're familiar with the parts in question, and usually have access to parts distributors that the local shop doesn't.
Old 1/16/08, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by KrisHorton
I can't say if the AP Racing kit from Stillen will fit under 18's (though in theory, it should) but it fits with my 19" Forgelines. I LOVE these brakes!

Here's a pic of my 6-piston 14.25" setup on the front of my car:

Dang... these would look awesome on my car! Sorry for drooling on you!
Old 1/16/08, 11:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It was they Yellow wasn't it Sir Ray ?
Old 1/17/08, 01:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
It was they Yellow wasn't it Sir Ray ?
Black and Yellow!
Old 1/17/08, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I say go for it. They're pricey, but they're AWESOME! I'm pretty much spoiled for life after having brakes like these on my car...

Edit:

RayMan, I see you're in Monrovia. Our Mustang club holds get togethers at Legends in Glendora, you should bring your car out it looks awesome!

PM me for info if you're interested.