GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Calling All With Brake Upgrade Experiences...

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/08, 12:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling All With Brake Upgrade Experiences...

Car Specs: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (w. 20" Rims)

I would like a 14" or 15" brake upgrade kit, but have some questions that local mechanics don't want to answer until my car is already on a lift and they have my credit card in their posession, lol... Go figure, it's like they're pretending every domestic-car brake job is different, which I'm pretty sure is not the case. So:

1) What is a typical hour/cost combo for doing a full brake installation, including the time they need to hmm, drive your Mustang around for a bit, I guess...? Do they typically need your car overnight?

2) I've seen one- and two-piece brake rotor kits, but don't understand what comprises a two-piece kit. Is one preferred or worse for some reason?

Many thanks to anybody with help- I just can't find open "car people" in Chicago who are willing to offer info without charging you first.
Old 1/9/08, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Drew,

In terms of labor hours, it's tough to say... is the kit truly a bolt-on setup, or do you need to start modifying stuff, like caliper mounts? If it's a true bolt-on setup, you'll probably be looking at around 5-6 hours labor, at whatever labor rate the shop charges. That would include:

R&R brake rotors, dust shields, calipers, lines, pad retainers, and flush the braking system. If they have to play around, the time could escalate. Honestly, I can see why they would want to look at parts and the car for the "eyeball check" before committing to a time estimate. Honestly, doing a brake swap (assuming bolt-on) isn't that hard if you have the space to work in...

Two-piece rotors use a lightweight (usually aluminum) center hub that has the actual iron rotor "ring" bolted to it. The primary advantage is in reduction of weight and rotational mass. They WILL help the car accelerate quicker, brake quicker, and in general be more responsive than an equivalent kit with heavier, one-piece setups that are all iron. They are more expensive, though. Same deal with the 20" rim setups, which are by far heavier than a 17" or 18" with the same tire diameter. They rob power. If you went with the two-piece setup, it would help to buy back some of the performance lost in the 20" wheel/tire combo.
Old 1/9/08, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What brake kit are you planning on using? Most of the kits for our cars are a very easy install and shouldn't take more than 5 hours as Dave says. Have you checked the caliper clearance for the brakes and wheels you are planning to use?

Earl
Old 1/9/08, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

I'm possibly going to get the GT500 front brakes for my car with my tax return, along with some new wheels and tires. That's an easy bolt-on deal that could be done in a garage with a jack and stands, and a helper to bleed them. The GT500 rotors are 14", and the calipers are Brembo. The part number from Ford Racing is M-2300-S.

I'm a mechanic for a living and have done much more difficult repairs than brakes. I'd be glad to help you to save you some cash.
Old 1/9/08, 05:25 PM

I have the Baer 6S extreme setup that included: front rotors, front calipers and adapters, rear oversized rotors, and caliper adapters. I installed the kit myself and it was straight forward. overall from start to finish I think I had 4 hours time in it excluding the 20 minutes it takes me to jack my car up and down because its so **** low. as far as braking performance, I have no brake fade during my 20 minute track sessions repeatedly using the brakes to their full potential.
Old 1/9/08, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Just had my Roush calipers replaced. Kit included everything, new lines, brackets, bolts, etc....The only thing they didn't replace were the rotors. Labor cost was $96 at the Ford dealer. Took him a little over an hour. He didn't have to modify any brackets or anything because I already had the 14" kit so it probably went a little easier.

Old 1/9/08, 11:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, you all never cease to amaze me with your great information and knowledge. Seriously!

Ok, so I was going to go with the following and very sexy Roush kit like 06stage3 has (his photo makes me drool):

http://store.roushperformance.com/im...403144_400.jpg

This kit offers 14" two-piece rotors (which I now know waaay more about thanks to all of you) and 6-piston calipers, but at $3698, I found that Saleen offers cheaper, somewhat similar 15" kit for about $3100, which saves me some money, but I like the red color and Saleen's is black... I'm going to purchase by May 1st once I reinstate my Mustang's insurance, so I'll watch eBay and other sites for a better deal on my final pick.

My current 20" rims will definitely accomodate these brakes, so clearance is good; just measured it now to see how much space I have and there's seemingly plenty (I'll double-check before I eventually order).

Well alright for now, I'm printing this page to keep a bunch of notes on-hand and again, thanks to everyone with their good ideas. And frdtch05GT, I'll send you a PM for possible installation support since you're in my area!
Old 1/10/08, 04:07 AM
V6 Member

autothing - I think those are the new ones for the TrakPak. Mine are the 4 piston calipers. They are available closer to the $2500 range if you find the right vendor.
Old 1/10/08, 01:19 PM
V6 Member

The Roush kit is a stoptech
http://www.stoptech.com

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ma...A_11-11-04.pdf
Old 1/10/08, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Before you make up your mind check out these brakes.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Pages/03/index.asp

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I have been very happy with mine and you can get them in red.

Earl
Old 1/10/08, 02:58 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Hey there,

You should at a minimum CONSIDER the AP Racing big brake kit.

6 piston (2 piece, 14.25" rotor) or 4 piston (2 piece, 14" rotor) fronts, 4 piston rears (2 piece, 13" rotor). Pictures of front (6 piston) and rear setups below.

Reason for considering AP Racing - as a point of reference, in 2006 alone, AP Racing brakes were chosen by the series winners in Formula One (Alonso), NASCAR Nextel Cup (Johnson), Busch Series (Harvick), Craftsman Trucks (Bodine), LeMans 24 Hours (Magnusson, Gavin & Beretta), LMP2 (Maassen & Lohr), GT1 (Gavin & Beretta), GT2 (Bergmeister), GrandAm GT (Lally), Daytona Prototype (Bergmeister), BTCC (Neal), DTM (Schneider), WTC (Priaulx), Australian V8 Supercars (Kelly), P-WRC (Al Attiyah), British Group N (Higgins), and more.

Also, specialty manufacturers such as Aston Martin, Bugatti, Caterham, Holden HSV, Koenigsegg, Lotus, Noble, Spyker, TVR and more rely on AP Racing as the brake kits they install as standard equipment. Says something for sure.

Here is the front 6 piston kit:

Here is the rear 4 piston kit:

Please dont hesitate to call (866-278-8287 x134) or E-Mail (PageN@Stillen.com) if I can be of any help.

Thanks

Page
Old 1/10/08, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Who makes the 14" 4-pot Saleen brakes? Brembo?
Old 1/11/08, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I still want someone with experience with the AP kit (4 piston) to confirm that it works with stock 18" Bullitts -- (has enough clearance). I want the brake upgrade -- but don't want to change wheels.
Old 1/11/08, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by c25sailor
I still want someone with experience with the AP kit (4 piston) to confirm that it works with stock 18" Bullitts -- (has enough clearance). I want the brake upgrade -- but don't want to change wheels.
Easy there, Hoss... click HERE for the fitment template, direct from Stillen's website...
Old 1/11/08, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't say if the AP Racing kit from Stillen will fit under 18's (though in theory, it should) but it fits with my 19" Forgelines. I LOVE these brakes!

Here's a pic of my 6-piston 14.25" setup on the front of my car:

Old 1/11/08, 12:04 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Easy there, Hoss... click HERE for the fitment template, direct from Stillen's website...
Hey there,

Just mame sure when you print out that fitment guide - that the 1 x 1 box in the corner is actually 1 x 1 (sometimes things print out at less than full size). You MAY need to go to a copier after you print it out and adjust the size the the fitment guide until the measurements are accurate.

BTW - we will have the BOZE wheels available on our web site soon. Good thing is that they all have a center section that clears the AP brake kits

If I can be of any help, dont hesitate call on me.

Thanks

Page
Old 1/11/08, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Page, that's really funny about you guys and BOZE working together. I just got in contact with Larry this week about a new set of wheels for my car!
Old 1/11/08, 12:22 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by KrisHorton
Page, that's really funny about you guys and BOZE working together. I just got in contact with Larry this week about a new set of wheels for my car!
Small world?
Old 1/11/08, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

It sure is! Especially the aftermarket industry! I'm fighting the urge to order the wheels today...but I don't know if my bank account's ready for such trauma again...
Old 1/12/08, 08:40 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by KrisHorton
I'm fighting the urge to order the wheels today...but I don't know if my bank account's ready for such trauma again...
What wheels are you looking for? Maybe I can help you out

Check out the BOZE wheels - http://www.bozeforged.com/wheels.html

Supposedly - no issues with AP Raicng braked with these wheels Sooo, I can sell both the wheels and the brakes

If I could afford them, I would be doing the Mesh wheels on my '03 Mach

Page

Quick Reply: Calling All With Brake Upgrade Experiences...