GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Call me stupid, But... :)

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/05, 03:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I know I know...someone smack me. Old muscle cars have the cams (?) sticking out of the hood. It looks really awesome IMO. Yes, non-functional hoods are okay. And yes, the shaker is awesome, but not really what I would call agressive.

I just want to know if someone can explain this to me...write up something telling me WHAT causes this to happen...how you do it, and if its even possible with the 05's..

Im REALLY sorry, but I don't know anything about this subject. So DONT flame me! :shock:

Chris
Old 9/11/05, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I am thinking you are talking about carbs or air cleaner. Maybe injector stacks. I have seen a pic of a 2005 with injector stacks. You are talking mega dollars. Not your everyday mod. Basically you would have to have a intake system custom built.
Old 9/11/05, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was the engine out of my car back in high school (in the 70s)...
Old 9/11/05, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well...Mega dollars meaning what? What would have to be done? Do i just take the car to a shop and ask for a "Custom built intake sticking out of the car?"

Any information will be awesome guys...
Old 9/11/05, 03:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Find a shop to custom build an intake to accept a 6-71 blower with injection scoop, and it'll stick out of the hood

More examples on this page http://www.hothemiheads.com/Garlits_Scoops...00pr_Scoop.html
Old 9/11/05, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm... any info...or pics or articles on some done on the 05 GTs?
Man that blue intake looks AWESOME..Imagine that on Sonic Blue

How much $$$ would I be looking at? And, which part would be sticking out of the hood? It would be cool if only that top part with the three circles (? :scratch: ) was sticking out...
Old 9/11/05, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

I've always liked the look of the three butterflies. What the heck is going on on that Camaro though?

What I've always wanted? This:

Except functional.
Old 9/11/05, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@September 11, 2005, 3:31 PM
I've always liked the look of the three butterflies. What the heck is going on on that Camaro though?

What I've always wanted? This:

Except functional.

Look at the pic MTAS posted; the first one with thats chrome and blue. If I could have THAT exact thing, with THAT top part only sticking out of the hood...I'd die for it.

Your pic looks crazy, but I wouldn't want ALL of that sticking out...Is it possible to only have...say... only THIS coming out of my hood? And will/can it be functional?

[attachmentid=33488]
Old 9/11/05, 04:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

check this out
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...29057&hl=engine
Old 9/11/05, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just a question...If GhostGT puts that scoop on, sticking out of his hood, with no real purpose other than looking cool, is that rice? I've done plenty just because it looks cool, even though it added no real advantage over stock. Heck, the '67 Shelby was loaded with cool that didn't add power. Also, the scoop in question does kinda say American muscle car all over it. But would it add anything to functionality? I guess I'm just looking for a more accurate definition of rice. And Ghost, you do what you want. It's your car, and I'm not questioning your taste.
Old 9/11/05, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Id say that was rice, if there is a supercharger under it then maybe not. But I think just putting that scoop sticking out will look very wierd, out of place and kinda stupid, specially on a new car.
Old 9/11/05, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by backafter20+September 11, 2005, 6:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(backafter20 @ September 11, 2005, 6:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just a question...If GhostGT puts that scoop on, sticking out of his hood, with no real purpose other than looking cool, is that rice? I've done plenty just because it looks cool, even though it added no real advantage over stock. Heck, the '67 Shelby was loaded with cool that didn't add power. Also, the scoop in question does kinda say American muscle car all over it. But would it add anything to functionality? I guess I'm just looking for a more accurate definition of rice. And Ghost, you do what you want. It's your car, and I'm not questioning your taste.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-friedmaster
@September 11, 2005, 8:58 PM
Id say that was rice, if there is a supercharger under it then maybe not. But I think just putting that scoop sticking out will look very wierd, out of place and kinda stupid, specially on a new car.
[/quote]

RICE? I don't know WHAT your thinking about...But who said I didn't want functionality??? Thats gonna be a custom intake if it sticks outta my hood.

AND...I think it would look awesome if done right.
Old 9/11/05, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's going to take alot of homework, but if you ever got it it'd be awesome.
The drive by wire and sensors will be your biggest obstacles if you plan on having an intake manifold that goes straight from the engine valley to above your hood. Going faux would be more realistic, even velocity stacks could look cool.

What you are planning would just be easier with carbed, cable operated throttle cars.
Good luck however, anything is possible if you do your homework.
Old 9/11/05, 09:41 PM
V6 Member

Well, forgive me but I think the premise here is flawed to begin with.....

Old muscle cars DIDN'T necessarily have intakes, blowers, butterflies, injector flutes (and hopefully never cams!!!!) sticking out of the hood. "Street Machines", Hot Rods and drag cars did and do. That was always one of the things that seperated the two breeds at least the way we used to look at it. Muscle cars include a large number of "stock" looking machines, including sleepers that like a more stealthy approach..."walk softly and carry a big stick!".

They were also carbuereted back in the day, not EFI, which flat doesn't need tunnel-ram intakes, velocity stacks or Weiand scoops etc...

I don't think putting something like that on an '05 Mustang would be "rice" per se, but "poser" kinda comes to mind... unless there was a healthy dyno chart to explain the reason....but basically, mods like the injector stacks or maybe a big ol' blower generally are priced in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" category....least for most folks!
Old 9/11/05, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stoopy@September 11, 2005, 9:44 PM
Well, forgive me but I think the premise here is flawed to begin with.....

Old muscle cars DIDN'T necessarily have intakes, blowers, butterflies, injector flutes (and hopefully never cams!!!!) sticking out of the hood. "Street Machines", Hot Rods and drag cars did and do. That was always one of the things that seperated the two breeds at least the way we used to look at it. Muscle cars include a large number of "stock" looking machines, including sleepers that like a more stealthy approach..."walk softly and carry a big stick!".

They were also carbuereted back in the day, not EFI, which flat doesn't need tunnel-ram intakes, velocity stacks or Weiand scoops etc...

I don't think putting something like that on an '05 Mustang would be "rice" per se, but "poser" kinda comes to mind... unless there was a healthy dyno chart to explain the reason....
I forgive you, but I think you're not getting my point...

Why would this be on the line of a "poser?" Never did I say I want the look of an old drag car without functionality. It would be great to have something like an intake stick outta my hood, AND have functionality.

heck, I was very close to chopping my hood for a CDC Shaker, but I thought the look was a little too subtle. Sure, the "stealth" look is awesome...and my GhostGT isn't really something you would call a MEAN racing machine. Its tastefully done and has some street manners, if you will.

BUT, if something can be designed that will stick out, make the car look BETTER than it is, AND have funtionality, then I don't know how that is being a poser...
Old 9/11/05, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Easy Ghost. Note that I said IF you do that without functionality, WOULD that be rice? It was a question. You never said whether you wanted it functional or not, but seemed concerned mainly with the appearance. You weren't asking whether it could even have a purpose. My understanding of things mechanical are not that great, but I figured that making it functional would be quite a project. It would definately take the car to a new category, however, if functional. It would remind me of one of those T-shirts with the cartoonized/stylized street machines that have the gear shift sticking out of the roof and flames roaring from the side exhaust. Maybe overdone, but cool nonetheless.

Edit: If you can help facilitate a product like you're talking about being designed and made available to others, I'm sure you'd have a market.
Old 9/11/05, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by backafter20@September 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
Easy Ghost. Note that I said IF you do that without functionality, WOULD that be rice? It was a question. You never said whether you wanted it functional or not, but seemed concerned mainly with the appearance. You weren't asking whether it could even have a purpose. My understanding of things mechanical are not that great, but I figured that making it functional would be quite a project. It would definately take the car to a new category, however, if functional. It would remind me of one of those T-shirts with the cartoonized/stylized street machines that have the gear shift sticking out of the roof and flames roaring from the side exhaust. Maybe overdone, but cool nonetheless.

Edit: If you can help facilitate a product like you're talking about being designed and made available to others, I'm sure you'd have a market.
Well said. I just don't know where to start researching this topic from...I've been trying to get some info from others and see what others think about it. It would be awesome to have something of that sort sticking out and sucking in air, too.

Oh man, my dream right now? Get my darn Borlas, and have THIS coming out of my hood...

[attachmentid=33530]

...I'm going to get this off my mind for about 30 minutes and finish up studying for my anthropology test tomorrow. I'd be delighted to come back to some more information and comments from people who can help.
Old 9/12/05, 04:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get just the scoop portion from Jegs and probably Summit too.
Old 9/12/05, 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Why show your hand when you don't have to? There are plenty of power adders that fit well beneath the stock hood. Or you just want it to LOOK like something that is supposed to be fast? Think this one over long and hard first.
Old 9/12/05, 02:38 PM
V6 Member

Well, this may not "help" specifically in terms of what's out there and how much it costs, but it'll help explain some of the reactions you may get.....

Stuff sticking out of the hood is like, the "iciing ion the cake" if you will.......it means you've got a WHOLE LOTTA goodies from stem to stern to back it up - a complete drivetrain package, if you will. at least, that's what most knowledgeable people would think and expect when they see a blower or whatever sticking up out of the hood.

That tunnel ram intake with the two carbs and velocity stacks pictured above is a perfect example. Tunnel rams intakes are notorious for being optimized for high-revving motors (they give more HP usually at the sacrifice of bottom-end torque). Generally speaking.

So most times you see a car with a tunnel ram, it's also got lower rear-end gears to go with it, to help get the motor up into it's effective RPM band quicker.

In generic terms, MANY things are like that - you change one thing, you need to go change something else to follow through or you don't get the benefits. And the people who notice it the most and will be the most inquisitive, are your fellow gear-heads. Expect to get many, many questions and comments for all the looks and double-takes you'll be generating.

The most common question you'll be asked is "what else are ya runnin' under there?", and if the answer is nothing, or not much, well, it'll be a bit of a letdown....so be prepared, if you care about that side of it.

Quick Reply: Call me stupid, But... :)