GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which CAI: MAC or K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/05, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm now looking into getting a CAI, and want to limit the choices to these two:

MAC 82mm MAF, COLD-AIR SYSTEM or K & N Aircharger

The JLT, C&L, and some of the others look like great products as well, but the reasons for limiting it to these 2 are price:
MAC $180
K&N $250
and no reported need for a tune. I have no doubt I'll get a tuner eventually and have heard tid bits about someone developing tunes specifically for these 2 CAIs. Does anyone know if tunes are available for these CAIs yet?

Also, does anyone have experiences or comparisons they can share about these 2 CAIs? Installation looks painfully simple. Any Pros vs. Cons? Recommendations? What made you choose one over the other?

Thanks!
Old 7/13/05, 08:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

K&N, best experience with the brand name and I luv the kit on my Mustang, def the K&N AirCharger, you won't regret it!

The only PITA part about the K&N was gettting the rubber seal around the heatshield, it takes some strength and a few snips of the scissors to get it on or a few wiggles, but it clips on. Rest of the installation was VERY easy, minus the valve cover bolt I broke to bolt on the AirCharger holder, I over tightened the bolt and snapped it and had to get it out with an "easy-out". Bought a new bolt, put it back in, TADA!!!
Old 7/13/05, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Mav!

Anyone with the MAC CAI like their setup?
Old 7/13/05, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

JLT

but of the choices, K and N no question whatsoever (yes ive owned mac intakes)
Old 7/13/05, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by stkdidy@July 13, 2005, 1:31 PM
JLT
but of the choices, K and N no question whatsoever (yes ive owned mac intakes)
I love my JLT, but if you are going with no tune, I've heard nothing but good things about the K&N, so I don't think you could go wrong with it. I have no experience with either of the choices though.
Old 7/13/05, 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my K&N. I went through the same debate as you are and everyone who had one recommended K&N. You won't regret it.
Old 7/13/05, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

I love my K&N, I've heard even though the MAC says it doesn't need a tune it does. If ya do a search for the MAC intake you should run into it.
Old 7/13/05, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Is there a noticable difference in the car's performance with the K&N? I may order on next week.
Old 7/13/05, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be sure to let you know when I get it. I certainly hope there's a difference, that's why I bought it!
Old 7/13/05, 08:00 PM
GT Member

I have the Mac cai I have had no problems with it, however the car will need a custom tune. I got mine from Brent from DTP racing, the car now runs great. However before the custom tune it ran lean with the cel light. If your car runs lean with any cai it is getting more air, the cai kits that don't need a tune in my opinion are not getting enough extra air to add much in h.p.
Old 7/13/05, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by cfr865@July 13, 2005, 8:03 PM
I have the Mac cai I have had no problems with it, however the car will need a custom tune. I got mine from Brent from DTP racing, the car now runs great. However before the custom tune it ran lean with the cel light. If your car runs lean with any cai it is getting more air, the cai kits that don't need a tune in my opinion are not getting enough extra air to add much in h.p.
Wah? It's late and I am sleepy but I don't get that post. I have the K&N with predator 91 octane tune (running 93 octane) and I can DEFINETLY tell a difference. If I turn off Traction Control and power launch the car is all over the freakin' road....Wouldn't do that prior to CAI / Tune.

If you isntall it <exactly> as they tell you to...you won't get a CEL....you're not supposed to.. :scratch:

er...or maybe I was confused..? :bang:

Jay
Old 7/13/05, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Lime05owner@July 13, 2005, 10:20 PM
Wah? It's late and I am sleepy but I don't get that post. I have the K&N with predator 91 octane tune (running 93 octane) and I can DEFINETLY tell a difference. If I turn off Traction Control and power launch the car is all over the freakin' road....Wouldn't do that prior to CAI / Tune.

If you isntall it <exactly> as they tell you to...you won't get a CEL....you're not supposed to.. :scratch:

er...or maybe I was confused..? :bang:

Jay
When the CAI requires a tune, it is because the car will throw a CEL for "Too Lean" if you don't. Any CAI that does NOT require a tune won't be giving you anywhere near as much HP as one that does... that is how *I* read what he has written.

Since you HAVE a tune and the K+N, it doesn't apply to you... the original question was *without* tune...

I have a C+L, I love it. Easy to install, and it works great. If you plan on getting more mods, get something more than the tuneless CAIs... you will thank yourself later...
Old 7/13/05, 10:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hauss1@July 13, 2005, 8:21 PM
Is there a noticable difference in the car's performance with the K&N? I may order on next week.
OOOOOOO YEA is there a difference!!!!! When I installed it, I couldn't stop driving it. Got more of a seat of the pants feeling, I must of put 35 miles on the car just driving it around just to get the feeling of being put into the seat more!
Old 7/13/05, 10:29 PM
Cobra Member

Go with the K&N, you will not regret it. You will feel an instant throttle response.
Old 7/14/05, 12:13 AM
V6 Member

I just installed the K&N, and while the heat shield was a b****, it looks great and sounds wonderful. I feel a little extra giddyup in the midrange-upper rpms as well =)
Old 7/14/05, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm starting to buy in on the arguement, that if it doesn't need a tune, then it's probably not getting AS MUCH air as it could with a different system that does require a tune to adj for the add'l flow.

One of the things I'm stuck on with the MAC CAI, is the cone air filter design. From the pictures of the MAC, it is the only one I've seen open on the end allowing air to enter from the outside AND the inside of the cone filter. It would seem to me this will allow the most volume/least restriction of all the CAI cone filter designs I've seen.

Anybody else notice this?

It would seem this and the proper tune from Brent is a great option (although, I've always been a fan of K&N).
Old 7/14/05, 03:33 PM

and my vote is

gives the car more growl, better gas mileage, and doesnt look to bad either.
Old 7/14/05, 04:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

I second that motion with:

Old 7/14/05, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

I like my K&N alot, makes a difference. If I want to tune later I can, but for now I don't have to. It's well worth the money.
Old 7/14/05, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just curious....I'm seriously considering a K&N (I know this is going to sound trivial) and wondered if that sticker peels off or will I have to paint over it? I think it'll look a lot cleaner without it there.

Quick Reply: Which CAI: MAC or K&N?