GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI--educate me please

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI--educate me please

When I get the money I would love to put a CAI and tune into my Mustang. I found a shop that has a dyno and they said they charge $75 for 3 pulls and $100 for pulls and an hour of tuning. That doesn't seem like a bad price. The person I spoke to said he just got a Diablo, and said something about having a wideband (?) too. He said the Diablo has been working well on the new Mustangs. The guy said I could bring my car in and he could tune it for me, but I don't see the point in doing that until I can afford the CAI.

I have looked at Brenspeed, Bamachips, and Tillman's websites. They all seem to sell the C&L and JLT. I think Brenspeed carries a BBK and a Steeda CAI as well. Also, some use the same tuner, i.e., the SCT X-Cal 2.

Sorry for all of the background info, I'll get to my questions. What makes the most difference, the CAI or the tuner (SCT X-Cal 2)? Do all of the tuners have the ability to tune the same way? For example, can you create the same tune on a SCT X-Cal 2 as you can on a Diablo? If not what kinds of research do I need to do in order to pick the right package? If you can make the same tunes with different tuners, would it be better to buy just a CAI, and then take it to the shop to install and then have them use their tuner? What makes two different CAI's different from one another?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm new to all of this and when the time comes I want to make a good decision.

Thanks.
Old 1/3/08, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...kit/index.html

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a good job writing an article on just this subject. Many of the sponsors of this site can assist you as well. The true question lies in what you want out of your car...pure performance and acceleration or simply better driveability and fuel mileage. That difference is ultimately what will drive your decision.

Good luck.
Old 1/3/08, 11:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, I would go with a Steeda CAI and a BAMA tune. Others will say Brenspeed or Tillman, and/or JLT or C&L. All of them are good, it just comes down to which one you want.

I have the Steeda/Bama and its awesome. The CAI will be where the HP gain is, and the tune will be what remaps the car from stock to race type of tunes. throttle will be much better, shift patterns changed/more aggressive, etc,etc. You wont be disappointed.
Old 1/4/08, 12:10 AM
Banned

The pretty much says it all. Diablo and SCT pretty much do the same thing but I know they are not interchangable.
Old 1/4/08, 01:02 PM
V6 Member

$75 seems like a good price for 3 pulls.
Old 1/5/08, 03:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you for the article. In that article they didn't seem to be gaining that much HP compared to what others are saying on this site. Is that because they were tesing an automatic?

I've heard good things about the Steeda CAI from reading other CAI threads. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is is there a difference between the C&L, the JLT and the Steeda or others? I'm sure there is, but I'm not sure what it is. Also, is there a difference between the tuners? For example, Colby, what made you go with a Steeda CAI and Bama tune as opposed to a C&L with a Brenspeed tune? Was it purely looks and money, or is there something different about this combination that you felt was better than the others?

Thanks for the help.
Old 1/5/08, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

There all in the same no#'s (ballpark).C&L,JLT.Doug,Bren,Tillman are top notch tuners.You really coud'nt go wrong with any of them.

The C&L looks good and the JLT is cheaper in price (plastic but strong)and puts out the same no#'s.

IMHO just order a combo tune from one of these guys you'll never go back to the factory tune again!
Old 1/31/08, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I was looking at the C&L package from Brenspeed and they said with the intake, tune, and mufflers they ran a 12.8 1/4 mile. That seems really fast to me. I thought the stock quarter mile time was around 13.9.

Is that type of power gain accurate? Has anyone experienced that type of gain?

Thanks.
Old 1/31/08, 09:55 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BossDawg
I was looking at the C&L package from Brenspeed and they said with the intake, tune, and mufflers they ran a 12.8 1/4 mile. That seems really fast to me. I thought the stock quarter mile time was around 13.9.

Thanks.
I would guess they had at least some good tires to go w/ that. I ran 13.4 CAI, tune, and OR-H pipe on the stock tires. I'd believe they ran that with just those 'power adding' mods. But then again I'm sure they've had a lot more trips to the strip than my one time.
Old 2/1/08, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I trust Brenspeed because of their rep on this site. It just seemed like a huge power jump with minimal mods. I don't know much about drag racing, but dropping a full second off of a 1/4 mile time seems very impressive. I hope it's true, because that is the CAI I'm thinking about getting in the future. If it's not true, I'm still going to get it.

Thanks.
Old 2/1/08, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
12.8 has gota lot to do with with the cat behind the wheel! But heres my C&L from brenspeed!....
Attached Thumbnails CAI--educate me please-cid__11-28-07_0744.jpg  
Old 2/1/08, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Shaving a full second off a stock GT 1/4 mile time is one bad a$$ cat! I wish I had the money get one of these things right now. They look so cool, and everyone says they change the car so much.
Old 2/1/08, 07:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Shaving a full second off a stock GT 1/4 mile time is one bad a$$ cat! I wish I had the money get one of these things right now. They look so cool, and everyone says they change the car so much.
It is the tune that changes the car the most.
The intake allows you to get full advantage of the tune.
Get a JLT II intake (inexpensive) or C&L and a custom tune for your car.