GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI connection with Shaker system

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/05, 07:51 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

OK, I will try to explain my problem. Currently I have the MMR Intake with High flow tube. I just received my CDC Shaker system. Obviously this raises a few problems.
1. Since the MMR kit does not have a heat shield I cannot properly make this a sealed cold air kit unless I use the stock filter housing.
2. The air filter that comes with the MMR does not fit in the factory air box. CDC however does provide a high flow flat air filter.
3. Issue is connecting the MMR MAF housing to the stock air filter box.

I would like to keep my MMR stuff installed and connect it to the factory air box. Problem is if I cut the stock MAF housing off of the air filter housing there is not enough material left to connect a coupler onto it to attach the MMR MAF housing.

So, what problems can you guys see if I leave the stock MAF sensor housing, however plug the hole that the MAF sensor sits in. I would then shorten the MMR high flow tube to compensate for this.

Since I don't have my car at home right now (still at the shop getting the hydraulic tensioner replaced) I am not sure what the dimensions are of the MMR MAF housing is versus the stock MAF housing.

Do you think this idea would work? Would I be better off just removing the MMR kit? If I do that means I have to flash my car back to stock settings
Old 8/8/05, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you completely sold on a "sealed" unit? Or would you consider a set-up similar to others where they are open on the two sides away from the engine?
Old 8/8/05, 08:40 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by don_w@August 8, 2005, 8:27 PM
Are you completely sold on a "sealed" unit? Or would you consider a set-up similar to others where they are open on the two sides away from the engine?
Well I prefer a sealed unit. The MMR kit does not come with a heat shield and I am not sure if one from Steeda or C&L would work with the MMR.
Old 8/8/05, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you said the MMR air filter doesn't fit in the stock air box. So, what if you cut out the front or side of it to make room for the MMR filter? You would still have to solve the issue of connecting the MMR MAF housing to the stock air filter box, but you would eliminate the plumbing problem behind the air box (i.e., the incoming air from the shaker).
Old 8/8/05, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What really stinks about this is I could have sworn that somewhere in my internet travels I saw someone selling heat shields for MMR kits. And now I can't find it anywhere.
Old 8/8/05, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, I bet you - perhaps with the help of a handy friend, if necessary - could fabricate a sealed box for the MMR, and not have to worry about coupling the MMR arm to the stock filter/housing.

The JLT heat shield is basically a piece of thin black plastic with a piece of the same affixed perpendicularly to it with a hole in the bottom to bolt it into the frame. I bet you could use materials you find at home depot, etc., fabricate a plastic box that you can seal together and around the air filter, and bolt to the frame. You could even start with the JLT heatshield (there's a picture of my JLT setup, which shows the heat shield here) itself. You might have to make a very custom piece - not exactly a box - but I think its doable.

Old 8/9/05, 06:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

thanks for the input guys. Jack you got me thinking. For now I might connect the stock equipment just to get this thing up and running but I am not on the hunt for some plastic