GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Tuning Support for U7140 Predator Owners

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/07, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L Tuning Support for U7140 Predator Owners

Hello,

I just wanted to drop a note to let you all know that if you own an "older" U7140 Predator tuner and have been using custom tunes, or have a U7140 and are wanting to get a C&L intake assembly for your '05-'06 Mustang without the need for using custom tunes, there is now a simple solution for you.

By clicking on the following link, you will be able to download a new update for the U7140 tuners that will allow you to enter into a "C&L tuning" mode, and have access to Diablosport tunes for the C&L intake assemblies:

http://www.cnlperformance.com/U7140update.html

After updating to this revision, you will select "options" and then scroll to the bottom of the list to select "OEM" and then choose "C&L". Your Predator will then be in a "C&L tuning" mode that will make C&L intake compatible tunes available from the "Performance Tunes" menu.

This new software revision was developed to not only make it easier for existing U7140 owners to use our intake assemblies, but it was also in response to the technical support issues caused by the large number of people who have purchased "intake and tuner combos" at severly discounted prices. Many of these customers soon found out that the supplied tuner was not pre-loaded with the appropriate files for ANY aftermarket intake assembly, and the standard performance tunes that came in them are not appropriate for any 2005+ Mustang with an aftermarket intake assembly. This update will make tuning more conveinent than using "custom tune" files, as custom tunes and all user adjustments are automatically deleted whenever you return the computer programming back to stock (for service at the dealer, etc.). This will not happen with this update, as the tunes are permanently installed in the flash memory of the programmer.

Since this is a BRAND NEW update, there is always a chance that things are not 100% perfect. Each and every tune has to be tested by Diablosport before the update is finalized, and it is possible that something slipped though. This is especially true of a new revision such as this, as there are literally HUNDREDS of different tunes in this update to support all of the different CALID's, intake selections and octane levels. If you have any issues with a particular tune (and this information is strictly hypotheitical), it is suggested that you install another tune with a different octane level and adjust the timing appropriately using the "modify tune" selection before loading the tune. If you do not know what this means, then don't worry about it UNLESS you experience an issue.

We hope that this will help make things easier for you to use our products, and we appreciate your support...

Lee Bender
President, C&L Performance, Inc.
Old 1/15/07, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

does this update support the C&L racer intake as well?
Old 1/15/07, 02:22 PM

Yes, after the update, you will see the following under the "Performance Tunes" menu:

C&L "Street" Intake 91 Octane
C&L "Racer" Intake 91 Octane
Modify Stock Tune
Original Backup

The octane designations will not be visible until after you select which intake you have. To change the tune to support the specific octane level that you are using (if it is not 91), you will select "modify tune" after it is selected. Then, go down the list of adjustable features and select "Ignition Timing" or "Timing Advance" and make the following adjustments:

For 87 Octane: Subtract 3 degrees in the "Global Timing Adjuster". To confirm that the adjustment is correct, use the "Real Time Data" feature of the Predator to confirm that your timing advance at WOT in the upper RPM's is around 25 degrees, with a maximum of 26 degrees.

For 89 Octane: Subtract 2 degrees from the "Global Timing Adjuster". To confirm that the adjustment is correct, use the "Real Time Data" feature of the Predator to confirm that your timing advance at WOT in the upper RPM's is around 26-27 degrees.

For 92-93 Octane: Add 1 to 2 degrees in the "Global Timing Adjuster". To confirm that the adjustment is correct, use the "Real Time Data" feature of the Predator to confirm that your timing advance at WOT in the upper RPM's is around 29-30 degrees.

Since this revision is "brand new", it wouldn't be a bad idea to check your air/fuel ratio with a wide-band O2 to see if the WOT fuel adjust needs any changes. From our experience, the "Street" tune will probably be pretty close, even if the vehicle has other modifications (such as exhaust), but you might need to add a little fuel in the WOT adjust table on the "Racer" intake. Of course, results may vary...

Lee
Old 1/16/07, 12:55 AM

Hi Lee,
I have a C&L "street" intake and a U7140 which I'm no longer using since installing my Saleen S/C.
I'm now using your "racer" intake along with other upgrades from JDM Engineering.
While I was N/A I loved this intake and it gave me awesome performance.
I ran 13.25 in the 1/4 mile on an otherwise stock 05 Premium coupe using the cnl_05_fbjr3 file.
I would like to update it to make it easier to sell but I'm just wondering if this update is reversible if I run into problems for any reason?
Thank You for some great products.
Old 1/16/07, 02:23 PM

This is an "official" Diablosport revision update for the U7140 part number. You can still use your "custom tune" file on it (you would have to re-upload it to the tuner after the update) and you should have no problem reverting back to an older U7140 revision if you didn't like it.

You should not be scared of trying it. At the very least, you can still use the custom tune that you are currently running. The only reason why I put a disclaimer on the previous post is due to the fact that I have no way of knowing that ALL of the tunes in this update will load properly. The last thing that I want to do is have someone come back and say "I can't get the tune to load in my 2005 automatic with this particular box code" ...when I have no way of testing it myself. There are MANY different computers used on these cars, and each CALID requires a different tune to work...

Lee
Old 1/16/07, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by LeeB99
This is an "official" Diablosport revision update for the U7140 part number. You can still use your "custom tune" file on it (you would have to re-upload it to the tuner after the update) and you should have no problem reverting back to an older U7140 revision if you didn't like it.

You should not be scared of trying it. At the very least, you can still use the custom tune that you are currently running. The only reason why I put a disclaimer on the previous post is due to the fact that I have no way of knowing that ALL of the tunes in this update will load properly. The last thing that I want to do is have someone come back and say "I can't get the tune to load in my 2005 automatic with this particular box code" ...when I have no way of testing it myself. There are MANY different computers used on these cars, and each CALID requires a different tune to work...

Lee
Thank You,
As stated above I can not use it currently due to the Saleen S/C running 10psi.