GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Street or Racer? I know I know...

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/06, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L Street or Racer? I know I know...

I've been searching the forums the past couple days on this subject but I still can't seem to find much info on compairing the two. I sent Doug an email too cause thats where I'll be ordering my combo. But what are the +/- of the two? The racer is cheaper, but moves more air? So are you really just paying for the finish with the street kit? I really just want the best kit available period, I like the finish of the street better but if the racer is better performance wise I'll go with that. Alright guys lay it on me...
I know CAIs get beat to death on here so forgive me lol....
Old 8/27/06, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had the same question.. which one is better, gives the best gains... out of ALL of them... hahahahhah

I have to decide what to get soon because next month wife says bills will be caught up and I'll be getting an intake and predator...

hopefully someone will answer your question as i'm curious as well.

I'm thinking Steeda intake but it's still up in the air. (no pun intended)
Old 8/27/06, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Hmmm I hadn't even considered steeda. I thought that C&L made the best gains.... here we go again haha
Old 8/27/06, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I'm concerned, the "tune" is more important than the "tube". Contact Doug or another top tuner and order a complete package from them. And unless you have a local dyno shop that are experts with Diablo and 05-07 Mustangs, don't waste your time with a Predator.
Old 8/27/06, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

I'm def ordering the XII from doug, I've heard nothing but good things about him and bamachips. But I just want the best setup out there. I thought C&L had the best gains and I had it narrowed down to these two, maybe not.
Old 8/27/06, 06:54 PM
ski
Bullitt Member

This link may help you to decide which intake to buy:
http://www.cnlperformance.com/05-06race.html
Old 8/27/06, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Wow that link was awesome.... thanks Ski! I think I'll be going with the Street version. I like the look much better...
Old 8/27/06, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think one has a metal elbow and other a plastic elbow. Plastic would run cooler.

For those of you with CAI that use metal tubes, have you ever touched the metal after you have been driving around and been concerned about the heat buildup? Some are too hot to touch.
Old 8/27/06, 09:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i had the C&L intake and dougs tunes but i would recommend the WMS and dougs tunes. it blocks all hot engine air and uses a raim air effect
Old 8/27/06, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neil07gt
I think one has a metal elbow and other a plastic elbow. Plastic would run cooler.

For those of you with CAI that use metal tubes, have you ever touched the metal after you have been driving around and been concerned about the heat buildup? Some are too hot to touch.
This has been beat to death... whether it's aluminum or plastic has negligible effect. I've discussed the thermodynamics of it here before, so I'm not going to go into detail again. Suffice it to say that there is very little heat transfer taking place in the CAI tube. But also think about this for a moment. Your intake manifold/plenum is plastic and it gets hotter than a CAI tube. The last place intake air is before it enters the head and combustion chamber is the plenum.
Old 8/27/06, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
This has been beat to death... whether it's aluminum or plastic has negligible effect. I've discussed the thermodynamics of it here before, so I'm not going to go into detail again. Suffice it to say that there is very little heat transfer taking place in the CAI tube. But also think about this for a moment. Your intake manifold/plenum is plastic and it gets hotter than a CAI tube. The last place intake air is before it enters the head and combustion chamber is the plenum.
you have a point.
Old 8/27/06, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

The reason I scratched the WMS is because of you having to relocate the overflow, I'll be returning the intake to stock when warranty work is needed and I don't want that much work. And yes I convinced through several arguments on here that the material of the tube has no effect
Old 8/28/06, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

we datalogged the intakes across the country. they all suffer from heatsoak at idle however as soon as you start to move tey temps drop drastically. the C&L tube, the metal one produced 1-2 degrees above ambient temp consistently for me. it it were say 80 degrees out my Intake Air Temps were 81 or 82 when the car was moving. there is a thread here on TMS somewhere about this with all of our datalogs
Old 8/28/06, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd say without a lot of engine mods, the street kit is what you want. I know it's not 100% scientific but looking at the dyno graphs for both I was convinced that I could be giving up 5+HP and TQ down low with the racer kit. That and I like the aluminum tube so once you decide which look you like that'll help some more.
Old 8/28/06, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I asked Doug from Bamachips the exact same question you did. He said the street (aluminum) C&L has an 85mm intake, and the race (plastic) C&L has a 95mm intake, and is suitable for use with supercharger(s). He did say that if you plan to remain normally aspirated that there would be no difference in performance.

Doug said he uses the street C&L in his own car. That's enough of an endorsement for me!

I chose the street C&L based upon his recommendation. He did say that the street C&L CAI are on backorder right now, ETA was unknown. For this reason he has pulled the street C&L combo from his website at this time. I figured that I have waited this long for a CAI, I can wait a bit longer.

Just my $0.02!
Old 8/28/06, 02:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I asked Doug from Bamachips the exact same question you did. He said the street (aluminum) C&L has an 85mm intake, and the race (plastic) C&L has a 95mm intake, and is suitable for use with supercharger(s). He did say that if you plan to remain normally aspirated that there would be no difference in performance.

Doug said he uses the street C&L in his own car. That's enough of an endorsement for me!

I chose the street C&L based upon his recommendation. He did say that the street C&L CAI are on backorder right now, ETA was unknown. For this reason he has pulled the street C&L combo from his website at this time. I figured that I have waited this long for a CAI, I can wait a bit longer.

Just my $0.02!
I just purchased and installed my SCT2& C&L street CAI from Brenspeed. I am very happy with their customer service I received from them and they have them in stock with free shippining for $75.00 less than Bama.Performance is incredible!
Old 8/29/06, 08:38 AM
ski
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Your intake manifold/plenum is plastic and it gets hotter than a CAI tube. The last place intake air is before it enters the head and combustion chamber is the plenum.
I can attest to that.
I checked the exterior temperatures of my C&L street intake and my intake manifold with a contact thermometer, and the latter was a good 10-15 F hotter than the former.

Originally Posted by 94tbird
we datalogged the intakes across the country. they all suffer from heatsoak at idle however as soon as you start to move tey temps drop drastically. the C&L tube, the metal one produced 1-2 degrees above ambient temp consistently for me. it it were say 80 degrees out my Intake Air Temps were 81 or 82 when the car was moving. there is a thread here on TMS somewhere about this with all of our datalogs
I can also attest to that.
I data logged my C&L street intake when the ambient temperature was 82 F, and the IAT(inlet air temp) stayed at a steady 82-83 F while cruising. It increased to 100+ F while stopped for a red light, but quickly dropped back down to ambient after approx. 1/4 - 1/2 mile of driving with normal rpm's and speeds.
Old 8/29/06, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Well I'd really like to order the C&L from bamachips just so I can get the whole combo with Dougs tunes.... but I don't wanna wait forever and I can't seem to get a hold of them. I called the # on their website and got a cell phone mailbox?
Old 8/29/06, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Paging Doug... Your thread is ready...
Old 8/29/06, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Well I think I've found a solution, I don't want to wait on the C&L but I do want the tunes from bamachips.... solution= order the C&L from brenspeed and the XII from Bama.... problem solved!

Quick Reply: C&L Street or Racer? I know I know...