GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Replacement Filter

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/08, 02:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C&L Replacement Filter

I'm desperately trying to find a replacement filter for my C&L Street CAI. I've searched and searched www.cnlperformance.com but can't seem to find a link to buy the filter alone. I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance
Old 2/8/08, 05:30 AM
Cobra Member

Why don't you just clean it or is it damaged.
Old 2/8/08, 05:33 AM
V6 Member

Try this bro:http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html Go to the very bottom of the page, its the very last part# listed. You can't get it online though, you have to call them to order it.
Old 2/8/08, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
Why don't you just clean it or is it damaged.
I'm with zaghloul on this one (mike, I was following your other thread too). My $0.02: when my filter finally gets dirty, I'd rather pay the $40 to just put on a new one then go through the trouble of washing the one I have, letting it dry overnight, then oiling it ("but not too much oil or else"... as I've seen in many threads). I've had my C&L for about 9 months and I have no oil build up in the throttle body which tells me the one I have comes perfectly oiled. I just know I'll put too much oil on when I go to clean it. So why worry about all that and have my car out of commission for 2 days when I can just spend $40 and 5 minutes to put on a new one. It costs more than $40 to fill my gas tank. Time = $ to me.

So what I'm trying to say is, I'll eventually want to know where I can buy one as well. Mike, let us know if you find it somewhere of if you're able to but it direct from C&L.
Old 2/8/08, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07VistaBlueStang
Try this bro:http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html Go to the very bottom of the page, its the very last part# listed. You can't get it online though, you have to call them to order it.
Ok, so I am not crazy. Its really stupid how you just can't order it off the website. I guess I'm going to have to call.

Originally Posted by spike
I'm with zaghloul on this one (mike, I was following your other thread too). My $0.02: when my filter finally gets dirty, I'd rather pay the $40 to just put on a new one then go through the trouble of washing the one I have, letting it dry overnight, then oiling it ("but not too much oil or else"... as I've seen in many threads). I've had my C&L for about 9 months and I have no oil build up in the throttle body which tells me the one I have comes perfectly oiled. I just know I'll put too much oil on when I go to clean it. So why worry about all that and have my car out of commission for 2 days when I can just spend $40 and 5 minutes to put on a new one. It costs more than $40 to fill my gas tank. Time = $ to me.

So what I'm trying to say is, I'll eventually want to know where I can buy one as well. Mike, let us know if you find it somewhere of if you're able to but it direct from C&L.
I totally agree. I know that I will over oil it no matter what I do. I'd be too afraid to under oil it and risk reduced airflow (although I really don't understand how that can be, seems to violate some law of physics). $40 is not that much to buy some peace of mind. Although, on the risk of sounding gloatful, it costs me $6.50 to fill her up
Old 2/8/08, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I found this place that sells them: Flewbyu Performance Auto http://shop.flewbyu.com/product.sc;j...3?productId=51 I never heard of them. Are they trustworthy? I don't want a knock off.
Old 2/8/08, 09:53 AM
FR500 Member

I've got a better idea, go ahead and buy a new filter BUT keep the old one, clean it, oil it and set it aside. When the new one gets dirty, replace it with the cleaned old one and repeat. This way your car is never down for filter cleaning.

Really, don't let internet tards scare you into thinking that re-oiling a filter is the second coming of the apocalypse if you just happen to over oil the filter. If you do, it's nothing a little can of MAF cleaner can't solve in 10 minutes time.

I'd be too afraid to under oil it and risk reduced airflow (although I really don't understand how that can be, seems to violate some law of physics)
You're right, whoever gave you that idea is full of it... It won't be reduced airflow, it WILL be reduced filtering.
Old 2/8/08, 11:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always look into a dry filter, requiring no oil. You just blow out the dust with some compressed air every once in a while when it gets dirty. Check out my sig. for a link to the amsoil dry filter. I love it.
Old 2/8/08, 01:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zaghloul
I found this place that sells them: Flewbyu Performance Auto http://shop.flewbyu.com/product.sc;j...3?productId=51 I never heard of them. Are they trustworthy? I don't want a knock off.
Nice find. That's the first link I've seen for an original C&L filter. I'm bookmarking that site.

Originally Posted by theedge67
You can always look into a dry filter, requiring no oil. You just blow out the dust with some compressed air every once in a while when it gets dirty. Check out my sig. for a link to the amsoil dry filter. I love it.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaau.aspx

Interesting... so this doesn't require a retune and doesn't affect performance over the oiled filer? And this would also stop oil from gunking up the gage and throttle body. Are there any draw backs other than more frequent maintenence? I'm also bookmaking that website.

Looks like they all use K&N reference numbers.. I'll assume that as long as I keep the same dimensions as the C&L one of these will do the trick?
Old 2/8/08, 07:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yep, you got it all right except more frequent maintenance. I think Amsoil suggests you clean the filter every 20K miles, but I'm not positive on that. I asked Amsoil about airflow and tuning and such. Their reply was that the Amsoil filters flow pretty much the same if not more airflow than a similar oiled gauze filter. No need to retune the engine for a filter change. Only if you change the diameter of the MAF housing do you need to retune.

Another advantage is that they claim better small particle filtration than a similar oiled gauze filter, while still flowing equal or or more air. Check the size chart to see what size filter you need...different ones are different prices.
Old 2/8/08, 09:23 PM

anyone want to save me the trouble of measuring my C&L filter and let me know which Amsoil filter will fit.

Also, i think JEGS sells an oil free filter from AEM.
Old 2/10/08, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you all for your help. After some research I've decided to go with the AMSOIL dry filter. Living in a very dusty place it seems like the best way to go. I'll be measuring it soon and posting the dimensions for all your lazy a$$es out there.
Old 2/10/08, 11:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

A wise choice my friend. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 2/21/08, 02:35 PM

Replacement C&L Filter

F.Y.I...

Replacement C&L TrueFlow filters are now on the C&L website as requested. Also, if you have any question about oiled filters check out www.thetruthaboutfilters.com

Thanks
Old 3/9/08, 11:51 AM

Ok so I finally measured my C&L filter. I used a tape measure so i couldn't really get a good number for the base diameter. Yes I could have measured the circumference and figured it out, but I didn't feel like going back inside to get a socket to loosen the hose clamp. sorry.

Flange ID: 4"
Flange Length: ~1.75 - 2.00"
Media Height: 8"
Base OD: ~6.5ish?
Top OD: 5.25"

Not counting the open end of the Amsoil filter the surface area is very close.
Old 3/9/08, 07:30 PM
GT Member

The S&B filter that matches those dimensions is 30-35 bucks.
Old 3/31/08, 05:55 PM

I got the Amsoil filter. Looks great, I seem to have picked up a little fuel efficiency, but that might just be by virture of having a clean filter. The only problem I see, is that the end of the filter cone contact the fender well inside the engine compartment. It's either a 1/16th inch too long or 1/16th inch to low. Oh well.
Old 3/31/08, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey itchy, did you get the Amsoil #EaAU4090 or the 4095 filter as the replacement for you C&L filter?
thanks,
Mark
Old 4/1/08, 02:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know the Amsoil part # that matches the measurements of the Steeda CAI filter? I'm also interested in getting one of these.
Old 4/1/08, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Hey itchy, did you get the Amsoil #EaAU4090 or the 4095 filter as the replacement for you C&L filter?
thanks,
Mark
I got the EaAU4090. I think the 4095 would be too long.

Quick Reply: C&L Replacement Filter