GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

c&l question on brakets

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/07, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Okay, so I'm going to do a prototype to fit both intakes. The "J" intake and the "C" intake. When I sell them, I'll have to call them "Universal Heat Shields" for legal reasons.

There will be the Universal J Heat Shield 05-07 Mustang and Universal C Heat Shield 05-07 Mustang.

I can get them done either in stainless or polished aluminum. Polished aluminum with stainless hardware will be pretty, and still fully functional.

I am trying to get a rough price from the factory.

If people think they would like one, please reply so I get an idea what quantities I need.

Chris
Count me in. You might want to start a new thread on this to get everyones attention.
Old 1/15/07, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I am very dissapointed with this bs heat shield I mean wtf I just paid 600 for this package.
I agree 100%. Very poor quality, and hardly a heat shield by any means. Something better would be great.

Tillman, I would be very interested in one if the price was reasonable and it fit solid and blocked some heat while looking good. Doesn't rattle around, etc. The height of the C&L shield is good as the gasket touches the hood pad but doesn't destroy it.

Aluminum should suffice and save some weight over stainless. I would consider offering it in a black powdercoat or something similar for those who don't want a shiny finish if I were you.
Old 1/15/07, 10:47 AM

I do not understand why you guys are complaining about the filter shroud assembly. It would appear that the REAL problem that you have with it is the fact that it is made out of an injection molded composite material instead of fabricated sheetmetal or aluminum. The original factory airbox is molded from the same material as the shroud that is supplied in our kit. The tooling for this shroud was VERY expensive, and produces a considerably better part than what was originally sold in the kit.

The factory airbox is attached to the body of the car using the same bolt as our shroud, and in the same location. That is the only mounting location on the body that Ford uses to secure the stock intake assembly. The rubber gromet at the bottom of the factory airbox is not a secure mounting point.

If there is something specifically wrong with the design of the filter shroud, please bring it to our attention. I can not see any way that it can be improved upon, as we addressed all of the issues (two of them: material thickness and the two-piece trim seal design) that we could identify from the previous unit when we created the new tooling for this part in July of last year. It surpises me that people will voice their opinions in this matter on the internet so strongly, and yet we do not get phone calls about this.

Prior to releasing this new design shroud, we did receive a COUPLE of calls about the "original" shroud, as it was very flimsy compared to the new unit. Since we started packaging the new design assembly in our kits, we have yet to receive any complaints...

Lee
Old 1/15/07, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Lee,

No offense but i'll be the first to say im not to happy with the 2nd gen heat shield either . Now I never saw the first gen so I cant speak on that, while the new shield is ok I think it could have been designed better. There really should have been a better way of mounting it then using a zip tie. Not trashing your products I love my Racer intake! Just not thrilled with the shield is all, I was about to build one of my own but I'll see what Tillman comes up with.
Old 1/15/07, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor

C&L makes amazing parts. This isn't a jab at the companies integrity. You guys have been in business for 15 years. We'll be making heat shields for all the kits.
Old 1/15/07, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Lee, The quality of the 2nd gen shield is much better than the first. I am interested in one similar to the FRPP/Steeda shield based on appearance. I just like the look of a polished shield.
Old 1/16/07, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1SG
Lee, The quality of the 2nd gen shield is much better than the first. I am interested in one similar to the FRPP/Steeda shield based on appearance. I just like the look of a polished shield.
I understand your desire to have something "different" or to achieve a certain "look". I just wanted to be sure that there is not anything in particular with the DESIGN of the product that needs attention.

The zip tie is used for additional support for the opposing end of the original mounting point. The stock assembly is attached with a single 10mm bolt and the factory box is sitting on top of a rubber gromet. The next time that you look under the hood of a mustang that still has the stock intake assembly on it, place your hand on top of the airbox and wiggle it towards the front and back of the vehicle. I think that you will be surprised at HOW MUCH it moves. If you perform the same basic test with our "new" shroud installed properly and attached at the other end (for additional support) with a zip tie, you will find that it is pretty rigid...

Lee
Old 1/16/07, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor

I haven't experienced any problems with the C&L units, both installation and there afterwards. The zip tie isn't a concern, it holds well.
Old 1/16/07, 03:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

If people think they would like one, please reply so I get an idea what quantities I need.

Chris
Chris, I'm interested in one of your Universal Heat Shields for the "C" intake.
Old 1/16/07, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I just purchased a Racer which should be here next week. Can someone post a pic of the C&L shield along with a shot of where the zip-tie goes? I used to have a Steeda CAI on my Terminator and was very impressed with the quality and look.

Not knocking the product I just bought, but I must say - hearing the word "zip-tie" never brings the word "quality" to mind. At least C&L is only using it as a secondary means of attachment.
Old 1/16/07, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

It zip ties onto the abs lines, again not trying to knock the product the intake is great Just would like something a little more appealing to the eye to go with it.
Old 1/18/07, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha

I haven't experienced any problems with the C&L units, both installation and there afterwards. The zip tie isn't a concern, it holds well.
Are you joking that thing is garbage and i cant belive dealer's are letting them thing's go to customers. i hate the hole ziptie idea It's bs.
Old 1/18/07, 08:11 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by touring
Are you joking that thing is garbage and i cant belive dealer's are letting them thing's go to customers. i hate the hole ziptie idea It's bs.
Not saying I'm thrilled to death with the ziptie either. I am just saying that with one mounting hole and a zip tie, if vibration could be removed, I don't see a huge problem. It's not like it's going to fly off your car at high speeds.
Old 1/19/07, 10:28 AM

Ford only used ONE mounting point for the stock air filter assembly, and the zip tie is simply an optional way for you to secure the shield at the furtherest point from the stock mount for extra rigidity. If we didn't do it this way, then I am sure that we would be "blasted" for expecting customers to drill a hole on their car to support a "new" additional mounting point. We could have not even provided the option to the customer, and used just the stock mounting point like Ford. If you don't like the "idea" of using a zip tie (that is hardly even visible, see the attached photo) then don't use it. Are you guys going to get mad at Tillman if his shield only uses the stock mounting arrangement? Or would you get upset if he asks you to drill another hole in your vehicle for "additional support" of the shroud? You don't HAVE to use the zip tie, and the shroud isn't going anywhere without it...

Lee
Attached Images  
Old 1/19/07, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LeeB99
Ford only used ONE mounting point for the stock air filter assembly, and the zip tie is simply an optional way for you to secure the shield at the furtherest point from the stock mount for extra rigidity. If we didn't do it this way, then I am sure that we would be "blasted" for expecting customers to drill a hole on their car to support a "new" additional mounting point. We could have not even provided the option to the customer, and used just the stock mounting point like Ford. If you don't like the "idea" of using a zip tie (that is hardly even visible, see the attached photo) then don't use it. Are you guys going to get mad at Tillman if his shield only uses the stock mounting arrangement? Or would you get upset if he asks you to drill another hole in your vehicle for "additional support" of the shroud? You don't HAVE to use the zip tie, and the shroud isn't going anywhere without it...

Lee
Like I said, it isn't going to fly off at high speeds. I think that one pointing point is more than sufficient. If not, Ford would have done something different from the factory. As long as there aren't any rattles.

Just curious, how many people here would be hesitant to purchase if drilling was involved for a second mounting point?

Tillman Speed
Old 1/19/07, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Wouldnt bother me if drilling was needed. I know Ford used one bolt never said I like what they did either I also dont use the ziptie and the shroud has been fine, its just ugly to look at and it gets to close to the abs lines. This is just something I want more as a cosmetic upgrade then anything.
Old 1/19/07, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Nope, nilch, nada. I would not be willing to drill another hole. Not right now anyway.
Old 1/19/07, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Just curious, how many people here would be hesitant to purchase if drilling was involved for a second mounting point?

Tillman Speed
+1 for hesitant.
Old 1/19/07, 09:07 PM
Former Vendor

One mounting point sounds like the ticket.
Old 1/19/07, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I think one mounting point will work ok if it is used in conjunction with the same bottom mounting rubber gromet that the stock airbox uses.

Quick Reply: c&l question on brakets