GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Intake to 90MM in September

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/05, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was thinking of getting the C/L 80mm intake and SCT tune soon but i heard they are coming out with a 90MM that makes a tad more horse? is this true?
Old 8/30/05, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

There is a racer version that will be out next month. It will have a big mass air and a plastic inlet pipe. This is designed for serious naturally aspirated engines. As normal I will dyno it when they are done and have the packages available.

Old 8/30/05, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does that mean that you have to do something extra for that intake Brent?

My car should be here at the end of October or thereabouts and I'd like to get the best intake... but I'm not planning on modding too much besides that... maybe some flowmasters but that's about it.
Old 8/30/05, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes you will have to run a custom tune with it.

Old 8/30/05, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

If all that it needs along with it is a tune i am in---i feel sorry for those who bought the 80mm with a tune though----i would assume there will be an SCT2 canned tune available?
Old 8/30/05, 08:36 PM
Cam Tease

Yup, it'll just take a little patience...
Old 8/30/05, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Patience@August 30, 2005, 6:45 PM
If all that it needs along with it is a tune i am in---i feel sorry for those who bought the 80mm with a tune though----i would assume there will be an SCT2 canned tune available?
No need to feel sorry for us... we have been enjoying the performance gain for months!!
Old 8/30/05, 11:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, I was thinking of ordering an intake soon and might have to put it off till this comes out.
Old 8/31/05, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@August 30, 2005, 8:50 PM
No need to feel sorry for us... we have been enjoying the performance gain for months!!

true. true. by the way, is there a gain in gas mileage with the tune and intake combo? unleaded was as high as $3.35/gallon yesterday-- :shock:
Old 8/31/05, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by don_w@August 30, 2005, 8:50 PM
The new C&L is going to be designed for serious naturally aspirated engines accourding to the owner of C&L. Also now that I think about it the new one may be 95MM not 90MM, I will have to ask next time we talk.

Also the word from C&L is there will be little to no gain on a stock mustang over the current C&L unit. In my opinion it will perform as well and if we get lucky maybe there will be a few more HP to be found. Remember this intake is scheduled for Septemember but with all new products that could turn into October or November.

Remember the new C&L inlet is PLASTIC, not the cool looking aluminum one that we all currently use.

Once they are out I will test both units back to back the week they are released.

For those of you who want to make your car faster now but want to wait on the air intake dont forget if you buy your X-calibrator from us you get free programs when you purchase the intake. That means you can get tuned for the stock air box now, and when you get an intake you can get the tunes for it at no charge.

Old 8/31/05, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

sweet, please keep us updated with the price and when will it be avlible at your shop.
Old 8/31/05, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BRENSPEED@August 31, 2005, 7:02 AM
For those of you who want to make your car faster now but want to wait on the air intake dont forget if you buy your X-calibrator from us you get free programs when you purchase the intake. That means you can get tuned for the stock air box now, and when you get an intake you can get the tunes for it at no charge.
I'm one of them that decide to do the wait and see approach. I just ordered my X-cal 2 from Brent last night. I can't wait to see how the tune works with the stock intake!

And MAN! That C&L DOES look GOOD! The 90mm (or 95mm) better make more power or I know I will be going with the handsome one instead. Can't wait.
Old 8/31/05, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Plastic is good....less heat transfer/soak.
Old 8/31/05, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Newbie here... What's the difference between something like this and a Shaker functional hood? Do they both do the same thing? Which is better for performace?

Thanks!!!!
Old 8/31/05, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Newbie to Newbie.

Obviously one is a intake system from the TB forward offering a larger diameter MAF, and tubing.
. And the other is good looking shaker that you cut a hole in your hood, and has a duct that feeds the stock box. I dont know first hand, but I would think a shaker could also be made to feed other CAI...even the one I have

As far as performance...man, I am not touching that
Old 8/31/05, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by 05STG1@August 31, 2005, 6:13 PM
Plastic is good....less heat transfer/soak.
Too bad thermal dynamics doesn't agree with you. Heat transfer is directly related to the amount of time that air is in the inlet pipe. At several hundred cubic feet per minute of air flow, do you seriously think that any measurable heat transfer can occur from the aluminum housing to the air? Without getting specific on the calcs (i.e., the volume of air that the intake tube can hold, divided by "x" number of CFM of flow), I would estimate that the air exchange rate through the inlet pipe is on the order of 1/10 of a second... negligible in terms of resident time for heat transfer to occur. And, to top it off, the (plastic) intake plenum is considerably hotter than the inlet tube, so more heat would be added there than in the inlet (but, still negligible).

I knew that Chemical Engineering degree would handy some day. hehe
Old 8/31/05, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don_w,

Not quite. This is basically a forced convection system. Yes, the air isn't in there very long. But it can still transfer a lot of heat in that short amout of time. Why do you think drag races ice down the intake manifold before making a run? To cool it off (and it DEFINITELY has an impact on vehicle performance!). Think about this: air is flowing through an intercooler just as fast as it is the intake pipe. That manages to cool the air down upwards of 100 degrees (or more in some cases).

How hard do you really think it would be for that little 4 foot long tube to add 5 degrees to the intake air? Or maybe 10 degrees? That is enough to noticably affect performance.
Old 8/31/05, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by don_w@August 31, 2005, 10:44 PM

I knew that Chemical Engineering degree would handy some day. hehe
hehe
Old 8/31/05, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by RRRoamer@August 31, 2005, 9:09 PM
don_w,

Not quite. This is basically a forced convection system. Yes, the air isn't in there very long. But it can still transfer a lot of heat in that short amout of time. Why do you think drag races ice down the intake manifold before making a run? To cool it off (and it DEFINITELY has an impact on vehicle performance!). Think about this: air is flowing through an intercooler just as fast as it is the intake pipe. That manages to cool the air down upwards of 100 degrees (or more in some cases).

How hard do you really think it would be for that little 4 foot long tube to add 5 degrees to the intake air? Or maybe 10 degrees? That is enough to noticably affect performance.
Don't forget that surface area vs. flow volume is also a major factor in heat transfer. There is a lot more surface area in an intercooler, than in a CAI inlet pipe. An intercooler is a purpose-designed heat exchanger... it is optimized to transfer heat.
Old 8/31/05, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

RRRoamer I agree.

I know this one of those issues, but I do feel that that there is a benefit to plastic piping. They dont get hot or lets say "heat soaked" enough to pass that heat off to the incoming rush of air as fast as its moving, as a "metal" pipe is prone to, even a few degrees.
They certainly are not cooling the air as its entering, neither is the plastic piece. Also, the metal ones reach surface temps higher than the incoming ambient air, and stay hotter much, much longer.

Quick Reply: C&L Intake to 90MM in September