GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Aluminum vs. C&L Racer

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/07, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mot250
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. The lean codes have not resurfaced.

Sweet, thanks for the update

I've got this on my budget for the first half of the year...along with 285/40/18 tires for my GT500 wheels
Old 1/5/07, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Sweet, thanks for the update

I've got this on my budget for the first half of the year...along with 285/40/18 tires for my GT500 wheels

Those are some nice wheels!
Old 1/6/07, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Brent reccomends the aluminum version for NA street cars. It runs strong and sounds nice. The racer does look cleaner and more factory to me. But the aluminum one looks pretty good especially with the ford plenum cover.

And in truth, after seeing how crappy the plastic "heat shield" is made, I am happy I went with the aluminum version as I felt the bracket to the valve cover was needed.

I woulden't want that thin shield supporting either intake.
Old 1/8/07, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by classj
Brent reccomends the aluminum version for NA street cars. It runs strong and sounds nice. The racer does look cleaner and more factory to me. But the aluminum one looks pretty good especially with the ford plenum cover.

And in truth, after seeing how crappy the plastic "heat shield" is made, I am happy I went with the aluminum version as I felt the bracket to the valve cover was needed.

I woulden't want that thin shield supporting either intake.
It is a personal decision, either one will do wonders for performance and they both look great, but here is my two cents on the bracket...

The lighter weight of the plastic racer intake negates the need for the bracket. I've had my racer version on for more than 4 months and logged over 8,000 miles including at least 3 nights of drag racing and an autocross event, with no negative affects of the C&L racer intake moving around (with no valve cover bracket).
Old 1/8/07, 04:48 PM

It is a personal decision, either one will do wonders for performance and they both look great, but here is my two cents on the bracket...

The lighter weight of the plastic racer intake negates the need for the bracket. I've had my racer version on for more than 4 months and logged over 8,000 miles including at least 3 nights of drag racing and an autocross event, with no negative affects of the C&L racer intake moving around (with no valve cover bracket).

Sweet...I plan to be using this for drag racing as well as road racing at Firebird and PIR.
Old 1/9/07, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Sweet...I plan to be using this for drag racing as well as road racing at Firebird and PIR.
Road racing . I can't wait to get back to MAM in Iowa. I ran there last July with the Mustang Club of Central Iowa but that was before the CAI. I can't wait to see what it can do now with the C&L racer and Brenspeed tune.
Old 1/9/07, 06:32 PM

Road racing . I can't wait to get back to MAM in Iowa. I ran there last July with the Mustang Club of Central Iowa but that was before the CAI. I can't wait to see what it can do now with the C&L racer and Brenspeed tune.

Amen. I raced PIR before, it was a ton of fun, can't wait to do it again when I get my 285s!
Old 1/10/07, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ooooh man, you guy are gettin' me all excited. Brent is tuning my SCT2 this week for my C&L Racer CAI, can't wait to get it on and experiece the difference y'all have been talking about!!!
Old 1/10/07, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lowe!
Ooooh man, you guy are gettin' me all excited. Brent is tuning my SCT2 this week for my C&L Racer CAI, can't wait to get it on and experiece the difference y'all have been talking about!!!

Please post back and let us know what you think after you install it and the tune, I'll be ordering soon
Old 1/10/07, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Please post back and let us know what you think after you install it and the tune, I'll be ordering soon

What are you waiting for? The hundreds of other positive posts in all of the threads on this topic weren't good enough. One more positive comment from Lowe! will be the one to push you over the edge? You'll love it! Almost 5 months and I still get a SIG when I tickle the throttle...
Old 1/11/07, 10:26 AM

What are you waiting for? The hundreds of other positive posts in all of the threads on this topic weren't good enough. One more positive comment from Lowe! will be the one to push you over the edge? You'll love it! Almost 5 months and I still get a SIG when I tickle the throttle...

I'm waiting for some $$

It's not a critical item for me right now, but I do have other critical items that require funding (non-car related).

Anyhow, it'll be on the 'stang by March probably.
Old 1/11/07, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm waiting for some $$

It's not a critical item for me right now, but I do have other critical items that require funding (non-car related).

Anyhow, it'll be on the 'stang by March probably.
Just busting your chops. That's a reasonable excuse, I waited almost 9 months for CAI funding as well. I kept blowing my cash on racing fees and other family expenses. But it did give me plenty of seat time stock to really appreciate the CAI and tune once I got it!

Most of the suppliers have them well stocked and provide quick shipping so you'll probably have it on your doorstep awaiting install only a few days after you order it. Personally I'm very pleased with Brenspeed.

Until March, stay in the slow lane. Don't get too used to driving your GT stock, it will be like learning how to drive a completely different car when you intall the CAI and tune.
Old 1/22/07, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Install went great, tune loaded fine, started right up. I didn't get much have a chance to play around w/ it, just around the block. Just on the 87 octane tune I noticed much crisper response and increased acceleration. The sound of sucking air was a nice side benefit!

One question for anyone that has the C&L. From the pics I've seen, I thought everyone was reusing the valve cover to intake vent tube (the one w/ the little green clips on the end). However, my new intake tube didn't have the right type of fitting for the original vent tube. Instead, mine has a brass barb fitting, and a piece of tubing pressed on. So I just removed the original vent tube all together, and slide the hose onto both ends. Is this normal, OK?? Now I see it looks like there are both types of vent tubes in pics I see here on TMS. I had just not noticed this before. The instructions are written for reusing the original tube too.
Here are some pics:
The unexpected new vent tube.

Completed install:

Old 1/22/07, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats the way I have my hose connected. No problems so far and I've had it on the car for awhile.
Old 1/22/07, 09:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't have the C&L but my JLT II intake uses the same replacement hose setup and I've had it for over a year now- no problems!
Old 1/22/07, 01:48 PM

Clean that engine bay
Old 1/22/07, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Clean that engine bay
Yeah I know, no kidding!
Just not enough hours in the day!
me==> <==work
Old 1/27/07, 05:02 AM

FYI, I pulled the trigger on the C&L Racer + SCT2 from Brenspeed on Thursday

I'm looking forward to installing it and then doing some dragstrip testing
Old 2/10/07, 11:02 PM

Just installed the Racer CAI and 91 octane tune tonight, all I can say is WOW!!! She'll spin for almost 50 feet in 2nd gear now, instead of a quick chirp, throttle response is NUTS!

I also put on the GTA mufflers, which sound AWESOME, especially at WOT. I'm very pleased
Old 2/11/07, 03:39 AM

I have the c&l racer intake. With jba shorty headers, stock cats, corsa xpipe/exhaust. MY rwhp was 306.9 with 327.9tq. I recently installed the UDP's and the CCMV. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Andrew

Quick Reply: C&L Aluminum vs. C&L Racer