GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bye Bye GTA's and hello FFRP Stingers!

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/07, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Larry,
Is there any drone issues with the Pypes system? I never will say I am satisfied with what I have if there is something better out there. I guess that why I am on my 5th 93 octane/automatic tune.
Scott
Scott, No drone with the PMMS, I thought there was a bit after install @ 2100, but it's just the tone from the system. We'll go for a cruise next Sat. I really like the sound from inside.

Rich,
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread
Larry
Old 10/12/07, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aircare84
Scott, No drone with the PMMS, I thought there was a bit after install @ 2100, but it's just the tone from the system. We'll go for a cruise next Sat. I really like the sound from inside.

Rich,
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread
Larry
Larry,
Sorry Rich but this is business. I will definitely want to check it out. I am never satisfied with what I have...so my wife tells me.
Scott
Old 10/12/07, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Rich, glad to hear you got your ***** back......

She gave them back to me on our anniversary!
Old 10/12/07, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I love my Stingers.
And I love my O/R-H even more!

I had some major drone (the kind that'll loosen your tooth fillings) on the highway, but since the 4.10's went in, it has mostly gone away.
Hey Bill,

What effect if any would you say the O/R-H had on the drone?
Old 10/12/07, 08:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Adding the offroad H got rid of alot of my drone........ however it added trumpeting at 2500rpm during acceleration. Adding resonators took that away; now it's perfect.
Old 10/12/07, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's a Borla stinger sound clip?
Old 10/12/07, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

I installed the FRPP Stingers early on (25 miles) to replace the factory muff's on advice and council from Bill, thats take-o Bill (aka TacoBill)

I could not be happier. I don't have any drone that I can hear, I'm just over 2k in miles and to be honest I just don't hear any drone.

The sound is fabulous and its great when I fire them up every morning at 5:15AM. The neighbors bust my **** but hey they all have Harley's so they can't say much to me. I just tell them they get free alarm clock service, it does rattle the windows he he
Old 10/12/07, 10:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Hey Bill,
What effect if any would you say the O/R-H had on the drone?
Originally Posted by tom281
Adding the offroad H got rid of alot of my drone........ however it added trumpeting...
Interesting... unlike Tom, adding the O/R-H seemed to amplify the drone at highway speeds (around 1700-1900 rpm's). I mean, that humming from the drone got pretty darn LOUD in the cabin.
But like I mentioned, once I got the gears, I'm spinning a couple hundred rpm's higher and as a result it has got 100% quieter.

There was some trumpeting too (like Tom said), but it wasn't bad. Like if I had not read about or made aware of it, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

Originally Posted by philster2003
I installed the FRPP Stingers early on (25 miles) to replace the factory muff's on advice and council from Bill, thats take-o Bill (aka TacoBill)

I could not be happier.
You're welcome Phil!
Old 10/12/07, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Love my FRPP stingers! *takes moment to dream about stingers*

When I'm taking off there's a good bit of floor vibration, and when cruising at around 50-55mph there's a drone, but it doesn't really bother me.

I've heard changing my gears will help, but to be honest, if I wanted a quiet car, I wouldn't have bought a muscle car. There needs to be that refined aggressiveness...a good ride but always that constant reminder that yer sitting on dynomite.
Old 10/12/07, 11:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I decided tonight to pull the trigger on a set of Borla stingers. I love the sound of my car now but wanted to get some "brand new" mufflers. I priced out the FRPP stingers and the Borla stingers and found a great deal on the Borla's. After the new mufflers arrive and I get them installed (probably about a week and a half) the FRPP stingers will be 'for sale'. I already have an interested party but PM me if you are interested and after they are off and cleaned up as best as I can I will post pictures. The price will be right.
Old 10/13/07, 12:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

wow if you got them for $235, i wonder how much the next person's going to get them for...
someone's going to be getting a deal!!!

too bad I already have my FRPP stingers...
Old 10/13/07, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
I've heard changing my gears will help, but to be honest, if I wanted a quiet car, I wouldn't have bought a muscle car.
My drone has nothing to do with volume, I like it loud, the louder the better. The drone on the other hand is more of a vibrating hum and I could do without that, it's pretty solid from 1500-2000 rpm. I think I read that an x-pipe will quiet the drone but also make the exhaust tone less aggressive and I'd rather live with the drone than smooth out the Stinger sound!

I may go with gears eventually but I'm concerned with 1st being unusable as it's fairly short now with my 3:55s.
Old 10/13/07, 09:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I did pretty much the same thing, except in reverse. I have had about 4 sets so far, LOL. I am sticking with this. I just recently got the borlas. Now I know everyone says there the same as the FRPP stingers, but I have now had both, and I think the Borlas sound better. I think they are lower in tone, and a little more smoother. But that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. But all in all after trying the gta's, the frpp, the bassanis, and now the borla. I think there going to stay the way they are, unless in the long run I may add the long tubes with catted H pipe. But a lot of money for that, so it will be a while, maybe when I add the supercharger. Anyway Borlas rock, and not much drone with 373 gears, maybe thats why I notice a little bit different. The frpp i had on stock gears in my 05, these are on my 06 with 373's. Only drone is really around the city when I am sort of going from slow to quick. Which is very little. So maybe some should try some gear changes to find the right area of drone. I love them. good luck
Old 10/13/07, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm...stingers for sale...I COULD HAVE FOUR!!! YEAH!

Just a little piping work, mod the rear facia, ****, that'd be sick...
Old 10/13/07, 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ryan and I took some videos today of my GTA's on his car that has a Saleen supercharger, American Racing long tubes and an off road H pipe. Then we took some of mine with the JBA shorty headers, FRPP X pipe and the FRPP stingers. I'm sure he will get it posted after editing.

I got to drive his car and it is twice as fast as mine. Just plain awesome power!
Old 10/13/07, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ryan's car sounds like something out of NASCAR at WOT don't you think? At least from the outside. I know the first time I heard him get on it from behind his car, it scared me!

Is he going to keep the GTAs or put the Magnaflows back on?

Now that you have driven your car for a hundred miles at highway/freeway speeds, how's the drone with the stingers and 3.55 gears the second time around?
Old 10/13/07, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Which Bassanis did you have? BX/SS or the Race? How did they compare to the GTAs and Stingers? Closer to GTAs or closer to Stingers?

My car is a daily driver/ commuter that is 90% 55-70 mph.

Originally Posted by sodaman
Well I did pretty much the same thing, except in reverse. I have had about 4 sets so far, LOL. I am sticking with this. I just recently got the borlas. Now I know everyone says there the same as the FRPP stingers, but I have now had both, and I think the Borlas sound better. I think they are lower in tone, and a little more smoother. But that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. But all in all after trying the gta's, the frpp, the bassanis, and now the borla. I think there going to stay the way they are, unless in the long run I may add the long tubes with catted H pipe. But a lot of money for that, so it will be a while, maybe when I add the supercharger. Anyway Borlas rock, and not much drone with 373 gears, maybe thats why I notice a little bit different. The frpp i had on stock gears in my 05, these are on my 06 with 373's. Only drone is really around the city when I am sort of going from slow to quick. Which is very little. So maybe some should try some gear changes to find the right area of drone. I love them. good luck
Old 10/13/07, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is the video we took of Rich's car today. It sounds freaking sweet!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJT_W-WhLUc
Old 10/13/07, 11:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tifo
Do the stingers sound high-pitched or tin-like with your FRPP X pipe? I'm just curious because it seems most are set up with the off road H pipe and the stingers.
~Ray
Not at all! They sound very deep and smooth with the FRPP X-pipe.
Old 10/13/07, 11:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cali HP addict
Here is the video we took of Rich's car today. It sounds freaking sweet!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJT_W-WhLUc
I am going to have to hear them in person. They don't seem super different from the outside to me than the GTAs but I know from before that they are definitely louder.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye GTA's and hello FFRP Stingers!