GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bye Bye GTA's and hello FFRP Stingers!

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/07, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I'll try and get up sound clip up as soon as possible.

You know I'm not telling people that the GTA's are crap because there are not. I just wanted something deeper and louder and the stingers fill the bill. On a side note the quality of the Borla's that I had first is better than what they are making for Ford Racing. Heck I might buy a set of Borla's again based on the condition of these mufflers.
there is nothing wrong with those mufflers.all they needed was a quick polishing job to the tips and the carbon inside the tips is common with no cats,1 hour of your time and they would look brand new.so don't make it look like you got a set of trashed mufflers.and by the way the borla and ford racing stingers that i sold you are the same exact muffler,so aren't the steeda mufflers.the only difference is the name and much bigger price tag.
Old 10/11/07, 07:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Stainless steel can be polished. AFAIK there is no coating that makes it "stainless". It's an alloy.
Old 10/11/07, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I love my Stingers.
And I love my O/R-H even more!

I had some major drone (the kind that'll loosen your tooth fillings) on the highway, but since the 4.10's went in, it has mostly gone away.
Bill, I finally got to hear your setup in person. Definately sweet!

I do realize though after hearing it in person my Magnaflow Hi-Flo catted X sounds very similar, basically just the tone difference between an H and an X. Otherwise they are about the same in volume.

Rich, what did you use to clean the carbon off? Carbon builds up fast on mine from the Roush tune being on the rich side. Harder for me to keep them clean.
Old 10/11/07, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a difference between the FRRP and the Borla Stingers. The tip size on the FRRP is 3.5" and the Borla's is 4.0"

And i myself have noticed the FRRP do not seem to have the same quality control. This is strictly my personal opinion based on what I have seen.

Richard
Old 10/11/07, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rich,

I thought I was sold on the GTA's and when it came time to buy I just couldn't do it. I was too afraid it wouldn't be enough of a difference. I went with the FRPP Stingers in July I couldn't be happier with the sound. The drone at first was about what Bill mentioned - tooth rattling but it seems better or I've gotten used to it. Don't get me wrong, it's still there but the exhaust sound far outways the drone annoyance IMO.

I let my son take the car to work tonight (a rare event - 1st time actually - I am feeling under the weather) and I had the rare experience of hearing my car leave without me and I thought: Wow that sounds GOOOD!
Old 10/11/07, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
There is a difference between the FRRP and the Borla Stingers. The tip size on the FRRP is 3.5" and the Borla's is 4.0"

And i myself have noticed the FRRP do not seem to have the same quality control. This is strictly my personal opinion based on what I have seen.

Richard
Not true - that is a misprint on the FRPP website and catalog. The FRPP tips are 4.0".
Old 10/11/07, 09:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPStang06
Bill, I finally got to hear your setup in person. Definately sweet!
Hey Gary! I'm kinda at a lost.. when/where did you hear my car in person?

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Not true - that is a misprint on the FRPP website and catalog. The FRPP tips are 4.0".
I measured the tips a while back, I think they were just a tad under 4", but close enough.

I've never seen the Borla's in person, but my FRPP versions are pretty nice. They're not polished all the way (incl. the resonators), but who really cares as you can't see them anyway.

Raise your hand if you see any defects... anyone?

Attachment 34256 Attachment 34257
Attached Thumbnails Bye Bye GTA's and hello FFRP Stingers!-img_3264.jpg   Bye Bye GTA's and hello FFRP Stingers!-img_2304.jpg  
Old 10/11/07, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jp's performance
there is nothing wrong with those mufflers.all they needed was a quick polishing job to the tips and the carbon inside the tips is common with no cats,1 hour of your time and they would look brand new.so don't make it look like you got a set of trashed mufflers.and by the way the borla and ford racing stingers that i sold you are the same exact muffler,so aren't the steeda mufflers.the only difference is the name and much bigger price tag.

John I never told anyone that these mufflers came from you, BUT since you opened this can of worms I will comment. The mufflers were in crappy condition with road grime and tar all over the canisters. The tips were covered with carbon and after polishing them it ate right through the metal coating and now the tips are gold. I guess I learned a valuable lesson and that is to ask for pictures before you buy something used. Hey I paid $235 for these mufflers and a $235 set of mufflers is what I got. I'm not ****ed at you but I am disappointed in myself for not asking for pictures. You did say that they were in "mint shape".

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=71655
Old 10/11/07, 09:54 PM

John I never told anyone that these mufflers came from you, BUT since you opened this can of worms I will comment.
Old 10/11/07, 11:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Rich,

How has the tone of the exhaust changed with the headers, if at all and have you felt any appreciable power increase SOTP ??

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10/12/07, 07:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Hey Gary! I'm kinda at a lost.. when/where did you hear my car in person?

Attachment 34256 Attachment 34257
Stealth visit to So. Cal, even had a conversation with you.

LOL J/K. A guy down here just put the O/R H from Pypes on his with Steeda Axle backs which are basically the same as the Stingers (I won't say they are as there are some disagreements with that going on).

Sounded good, like an old school muscle car.
Old 10/12/07, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Stealth visit to So. Cal, even had a conversation with you.

Almost had me there Gary!

Just remember, anyone can hear my exhaust for free, but TMS members get the added bonus of going for a ride!
Old 10/12/07, 08:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love my Stingers. I'll never change them!!!
Old 10/12/07, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I stand corrected then.

One more thing the Borla products has a 1 Million Mile/Lifetime Warranty the FRRP do not

Richard
Old 10/12/07, 08:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
Rich,

How has the tone of the exhaust changed with the headers, if at all and have you felt any appreciable power increase SOTP ??

Thanks,
Brian
The headers made the exhaust note deeper than before even with the GTA's. I haven't "stood" on it since I put the stingers on but the headers sure made me think that the car was faster. Louder mufflers always make you think your car is faster IMO. I'm going to get it dynoed one of these days just to see where I'm at.
Old 10/12/07, 02:12 PM
GT Member

I made the same switch from GTA to Borla Stingers last week and couldn't be happier. The GTAs were just too quiet for my taste.
Old 10/12/07, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

The headers made the exhaust note deeper than before even with the GTA's. I haven't "stood" on it since I put the stingers on but the headers sure made me think that the car was faster. Louder mufflers always make you think your car is faster IMO. I'm going to get it dynoed one of these days just to see where I'm at.
Thanks !!! That's reason enough for me.
Old 10/12/07, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sycd
I made the same switch from GTA to Borla Stingers last week and couldn't be happier. The GTAs were just too quiet for my taste.
Do the stingers sound high-pitched or tin-like with your FRPP X pipe? I'm just curious because it seems most are set up with the off road H pipe and the stingers.

Since people say the H pipe makes exhaust sound much deeper and I'm really curious what it would make my GTAs sound like.
~Ray
Old 10/12/07, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love the stingers. I was scared to get the GTA's because I might not hear a big enough difference. and I was scared to get the Stingers because of drone.

Glad I went Stingers!!
Old 10/12/07, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Rich, glad to hear you got your ***** back......

Now seal the deal and get your 4.10s back in there too!

Quick Reply: Bye Bye GTA's and hello FFRP Stingers!