GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Buying a new GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/07, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new GT

I've got a couple of questions I wanted to ask as far as performance wise with a GT. Right now I've got an 05 V6, all I've done is a true dual h-pipe from JBA, S&B cold air intake, and, just today, put on a GT rear bumper.
  • C&L air intake comes with a choice of tuner: diablo sport predator, sct strategy, or sct livewire. What kind of performance gains can I expect from any one of these?
  • What would be the benefit of any one tuner over the other?
  • I'd like to go with SLP's long tube headers, shorty hi-flow x-pipe. and the SLP loudmouths. Can anyone testify to the sound and/or performance gains out of this specific set up?
  • Looking forward, do ported heads give gains worth their dollar amount?
  • Anyone have any suggestions for other performance gains?
  • Color help between Torch Red vs Vista Blue, either of which with white lemans stripes?
Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old 5/16/07, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear you're going to treat yourself to a V8. The GT is a fantastic all around performer imo. As far as the tuners go, I've dealt with Doug who deals with SCT and all I can say is that their equipment combined with his tunes produce a fantastic and very necessary mod considering the unbelivably lame stock tune, (as I'm sure you are aware). Heading to the exhaust matter, I'm not familiar with this setup as I run Corsa axlebacks, (which I could not be happier with). However I have done a fare amount of research on such exhaust setups and the one you're planning on will definatlely be loud, although I can't vouch for the tone/depth/raspiness/drone. Also, got no idea about the ported heads but sounds like its worth a try as I was wondering about this myself.
Anyway, sorry for the long post and I hope you have a great time with your GT!
Old 5/16/07, 08:36 PM
GT Member

If you go catless do not go with the LMs it will be WAY too loud. I switched to FRRP stingers with O/R H and sounds great. If you are going to spend money on porting heads you might as well get the bottom end forged (if you ever paln to go FI) if not put aftermarket heads in at that time. Any of the top CAI are good. I have a Tunable Induction and no issues. Doug is an excellent tuner. I go local with Modular Depot. Good luck. If your keeping the 4.0, put a turbo on that beast!
Old 5/16/07, 08:49 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the input so far. This is going to be my first V8 so I do wanna go all out. Loudness isn't a problem. I want to be able to drive around, find the guy at my school who's license plate says "pny klr" and light up his car alarm. It chirps at my car now, but you get the picture. Also, who is doug? Can I get a tune from him and load it to a tuner?
Old 5/17/07, 07:31 AM
Former Vendor

See Below: Freakin' Double Post
Old 5/17/07, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor

C&L air intake comes with a choice of tuner: diablo sport predator, sct strategy, or sct livewire. What kind of performance gains can I expect from any one of these?

I would reccommend SCT due to the huge amount of support for it throughout the country. You will always find yourself within 50 miles of someone who works with Advantage software. I would gladly help you out with a custom tune, or a performance package with the XCalibrator 2 included. You would find yourself easily gaining 25+ RWHP and most likely closer to 32.

What would be the benefit of any one tuner over the other?

As stated above, the aftermarket support is unbeatable. I love SCT software, and most will agree it's the nicest system out right now for the S197 or all of Ford/GM for that matter.

C&L air intake comes with a choice of tuner: diablo sport predator, sct strategy, or sct livewire. What kind of performance gains can I expect from any one of these?

28-32 RWHP is what is claimed. Purchasing this kit from C&L would run you quite a bit more than purchasing from myself, or Bamachips. We can save you some money, and get you some more power out of it.

What would be the benefit of any one tuner over the other?

None, as long as you go with reputation. If I were purchasing one for my own vehicle, I'd buy one from myself of Bamachips or Brenspeed. That's about all who I'd trust. And I'd STILL run a wideband and datalog, or hit up a dyno to test my results.

I'd like to go with SLP's long tube headers, shorty hi-flow x-pipe. and the SLP loudmouths. Can anyone testify to the sound and/or performance gains out of this specific set up?

That's a nice setup, I would look around because SLP comes with a price tag. I like the loudmouth axle-backs... but there are some longtubes and X pipes that would get you the same if not better performance, for less of a price tag, and not sacrificing quality. Give me a call and I can go over all of the options with you.

Looking forward, do ported heads give gains worth their dollar amount?

You will find that alot of people here will say no. It depends on your plans with the car. If you're doing cams at the same time, and plan to run S/C than YES it will net alot of horsepower. N/A guys are usually a little dissapointed, but it's just the nature of the 4.6L 3v.

Anyone have any suggestions for other performance gains?

Steeda CMCV delete plates, and actually a good performance package would do great. I like the Aluminum driveshafts, and a good set of gears such as 3.73's or 4.10's. www.apdperformance.com < -- click on mustang, 05-07, performance packages and check out stage 1 and 2.

Color help between Torch Red vs Vista Blue, either of which with white lemans stripes?

Torch red with white stripes!!!!! I love the blue with white, but alot of people have it here, and I would do something a little different.

Give me a shout and I can go through all of the options for you. We have plenty of experience with the S197's and will work you up the cheapest price around, hands down. Feel free to shoot over a PM or give me a call any time.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 5/17/07, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Dont get SLP longtubes, they dont have good ground clearence. The midpipe hangs under the car.
Old 5/17/07, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats, I also went from an 05 V6 to a GT (07). There is a wee bit of difference in the performance and handling between the two, kind of like there's a wee bit of difference between a moped and Hayabusa I also vote for Torch Red, some might say I'm biased but I ordered mine and thought long and hard about the color before ordering. The Torch Red looks hot and hides dirt surprisingly well, I'm quite glad I went with it.
Old 5/17/07, 12:52 PM
V6 Member

Sounds great so far. Got in touch with a local Ford rep and having him e-mail me a couple of torch red and vista blue cars.
Old 5/17/07, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

CR, is the C&L intake available in a polished finish?
Old 5/17/07, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor

No it's not, but their aluminum street intake can be polished. The racer 95mm intake pulls a little more HP, though.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 5/17/07, 01:44 PM
V6 Member

I'm confused, I went to Bama Chips' site and the CAI and tuner was a lot more expensive than the rpmoutlet's C&L CAI and tuner. ($499.99 w/ free shipping) They seem to have really good deals there and usually have free shipping. Am I missing something? Which SCT tuner is better to go with, strategy or livewire?
Old 5/17/07, 01:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by d*rock
I'm confused, I went to Bama Chips' site and the CAI and tuner was a lot more expensive than the rpmoutlet's C&L CAI and tuner. ($499.99 w/ free shipping) They seem to have really good deals there and usually have free shipping. Am I missing something? Which SCT tuner is better to go with, strategy or livewire?
1) RPM outlet sucks and has terrible customer service.

2) The tunes on their tuner are generic one not specific for your car. They have nowhere near the amount of adjustments that Doug/Bamachips adds.

3) Why go against what everyone is recommending. Were telling you for your own good. It's not like Doug gives us a cut of his earnings.
Old 5/17/07, 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
No it's not, but their aluminum street intake can be polished. The racer 95mm intake pulls a little more HP, though.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Thank you for the response!
Old 5/17/07, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

I'm not trying to go against anything anyone is saying. I'm just looking around for a good deal on parts in general. I'm looking for help on the subject, that's why I asked.
Old 5/17/07, 02:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not trying to go against anything anyone is saying. I'm just looking around for a good deal on parts in general. I'm looking for help on the subject, that's why I asked.
I'm sorry I didn't mean it as an attack. Just letting you know the difference between Bama and RPM.
Old 5/17/07, 02:41 PM
V6 Member

No harm no foul. You could've just as easily said bama's is better.
Old 5/17/07, 05:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
No harm no foul. You could've just as easily said bama's is better.
We need to make the point here that most people do not consider RPM to even be looked at due to almost total lack of customer relations.
Old 5/17/07, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Ah, well I didn't know. The only experience I had with them was that I tried to order a B&M quicksilver auto shifter for my stang now, cause they had it at a good price. Well, system order error, but they gave me my money back within a day. Oh well.
Old 5/17/07, 07:15 PM
Cobra R Member

You were lucky that you did not have a very bad experence with them on returns.

Quick Reply: Buying a new GT