GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bunch of S/C questions

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/06, 06:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already searched for the S/C threads, didn't really find any answers to my questions so:

I want to know what S/C would be best for my needs. MY GT is a daily driver, I don't go to the track, and I have a thing for cobras. But since I don't want to plunk down 40k for the gT500(nor do I have that kinda cash) I think I want to go with a S/C system. Plus I saw on Overhaulin' last night they overhauled a GT and threw on a Paxton S/C system . So Hot! I'm looking to get into the 400s in HP, dont really want to breach 450rwhp though. I want more power, but as I said, this is my daily driver and I want this beast under control. I'm looking for something that has low maintenance and high durability. I don't particularly care where the power is, low or high end.

I currently don't have any mods, but hey, if I'm gunna mod this thing, gotta have a blower. Which leads me to another question, besides adding on a S/C do I need to put anything else on the car as to balance out the increase in power? I know I would need better tires/suspension. But is there anything I would need to do to the engine that doesn't come with most S/C systems or can I stick with most of the stock equipment(ie camshaft, lighter flywheel, gears, exhaust system)?

PS I drive this in snow during the winter, so as long as I'm east on the gas like I am now, I shouldn't have any slippage(more than usual) with the increase in power? Any1 drive their S/Ced stang in the snow?

I know it's a lot of questions, but if any1 can thorw me a few answers that'd be great!
Old 2/1/06, 06:57 AM
Bullitt Member

It would help you to narrow it down to the type of blower that you want, and then you can choose the brand you like. Positive displacement or centrifugal? If positive displacement, twin-screw or roots? All of the offerings are very different, and also vary in their completeness and engineering and hp potential. How much hp is enough for now? How much do you want to make ultimately? Can you get there with blower X?

My goals are such that I am willing to trade some hp and even ultimate hp potential for a very well engineered kit with OEM fit and finish. I will be installing the Roushcharger system on my car this summer. It is a roots-type blower, and a small one at that, but the overall kit is just too good to pass up. It meets all of my criteria. I can live with 415 hp (flywheel) with the standard kit and possibly ~25 additional hp with a pulley change down the road. I would like 380-400 rwhp eventually, and believe I can get there with this kit. I don't want to put a $5k shortblock in this car, I want a reliable 400 hp car that I can enjoy long-term.

Of the current supercharger offerings, the Saleen kit is the only other one I was considering. This is a very personal decision that only you can make ultimately. I would suggest doing extensive research for a few months and then decide which one is the right one. You will discover it over time.

Old 2/1/06, 07:14 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
PSH uses Vortech's H.O. Blower and Intercooler system, and it's a very easy car to drive back and forth to work every day. Our peak horsepower run was 467, but that was extremely high in the RPM range. Our daily driver tune is somewhere between 400-420 rwhp and the race tune makes 460 rwhp and 413 ft.-lbs.

The other performance mods are JBA's titanium ceramic-coated shorty headers, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Granatelli throttle body, MRT fuel rails, and SCT X2 tune by BamaChips.
Old 2/1/06, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RandyB@February 1, 2006, 9:00 AM
It would help you to narrow it down to the type of blower that you want, and then you can choose the brand you like. Positive displacement or centrifugal? If positive displacement, twin-screw or roots? All of the offerings are very different, and also vary in their completeness and engineering and hp potential. How much hp is enough for now? How much do you want to make ultimately? Can you get there with blower X?

My goals are such that I am willing to trade some hp and even ultimate hp potential for a very well engineered kit with OEM fit and finish. I will be installing the Roushcharger system on my car this summer. It is a roots-type blower, and a small one at that, but the overall kit is just too good to pass up. It meets all of my criteria. I can live with 415 hp (flywheel) with the standard kit and possibly ~25 additional hp with a pulley change down the road. I would like 380-400 rwhp eventually, and believe I can get there with this kit. I don't want to put a $5k shortblock in this car, I want a reliable 400 hp car that I can enjoy long-term.

Of the current supercharger offerings, the Saleen kit is the only other one I was considering. This is a very personal decision that only you can make ultimately. I would suggest doing extensive research for a few months and then decide which one is the right one. You will discover it over time.

I used to be very scared about modding my car, for the most part if something goes wrong, it's my daily driver and I have no other car. So obviously the most important part is well engineered equipment and low maintenance. I was reaching to get close to 400 hp. I want the supercharger, but I also want to make minimal changes to the rest of the car...I can settle for wider tires, and a new (FULL)exhaust system. But I don't want to go nuts with pullies, rear control arms, etc. Can I get a way with stock gears or will that lead to trouble if I leave them on?
Old 2/1/06, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to add my 2 cents here. My tuner (Adam at ST Motorsports) put the Kenne Bell 2.4L 8psi Intercooled Kit in his '05 manual a month ago. The only mod he had was an upgraded clutch. The exhaust, gears and everything else was bone stock. With the KB-supplied tune, his car made 440rwhp right out of the box... essentially what KB advertises.

If that is too high for you, you could get their 5psi kit, which should be good for 400rwhp.
Old 2/1/06, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Stock gears will be just fine. I have no plans to change mine. I've already added 19x9/19x10 wheels/tires so that is taken care of. I'm going to add Bilstein shocks/struts also, and then enjoy my car. If it wheel hops, I'll add whatever bushings Ford did to fix the same problem in the GT 500. My exhaust will remain stock as well. It sounds like the Roushcharger would be a good choice for you as well, and you get a 3yr/36k mile warranty if a shop does the install.
Old 2/1/06, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

The only other changes you might make are headers, no cat or high flow cats mid pipe to help with back pressure.

You would probably want your stock gears over 4.10's with a S/C car anyway so yes you can get sway with them.

Stay under 420RWHP and stock engine should be fine WITH a good tuner. Meaning you need to pay the $500 to have a reputable tuner tune your car when you get the S/C put on
Old 2/1/06, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

I have put 7K on my car since I installed the vortech kit and have had no issues to speak of. It has been flawless so far. It drive it daily and am getting 28mpg on the hwy @ 70!..My car dynoed out @ 431rwhp with a slight tweak of the supplied tune. Definately recommend this kit!
Old 2/1/06, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hear CF is good for people who don't need it during their daily commutes. Say the shift points are under 2k. And since I might have to drive it in snow that would be good not to have the SC kicked on throughout the whole RPM range.

Which S/Cers are CF? Vortech? KB? Roushecharger?
Old 2/1/06, 11:52 AM
V6 Member

I was all set to get a Saleen blower a few weeks ago. Then I called Saleen directly and asked about the warranty: 30 days! Uhh, no thanks.
Old 2/1/06, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

30 days???? Youve got to be kidding me?
Old 2/1/06, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you ure that was the warranty and not the limit in days you had before you could get a full refund?
Old 2/1/06, 01:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by osu_p51@February 1, 2006, 1:55 PM
I was all set to get a Saleen blower a few weeks ago. Then I called Saleen directly and asked about the warranty: 30 days! Uhh, no thanks.
I just got off the phone with Saleen and the SC has a 12 month warranty with no mileage restriction.
Old 2/1/06, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The differences in the superchargers out there is quite wide. What do you want?? Do you want great low end torque at lower rpm's?? Than you should go with a positive displacement blower like the KB ,Saleen or Whipple. They will give you the grunt that these 4.6 mod motors lack. Had a 96 cobra with a KB and it was great. If it is big horsepower #'s that give you a wood than go centrifugal like Vortec. They start off on the weak side at low rpm's but may build up to bigger hp #'s at higher rpm's. Roots style are cheaper, noisier and will produce similar #'s to the twinscrews. For my money I would go twinscrew. You will feel the torque on every take off. Lets face it. You don't drive around at 6000 rpm all the time.
Scott
Old 2/1/06, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

vortech,paxton and procharger are all CF units.
Old 2/1/06, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 1, 2006, 10:28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Which S/Cers are CF? Vortech? KB? Roushecharger?[/b][/quote]
Yes, no, no.

CF: Paxton, Vortech, Procharger
TS: Saleen, Kenne Bell, Whipple
Roots: Roushcharger, Eaton
Old 2/2/06, 12:36 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 1, 2006, 9:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I used to be very scared about modding my car, for the most part if something goes wrong, it's my daily driver and I have no other car. So obviously the most important part is well engineered equipment and low maintenance. I was reaching to get close to 400 hp. I want the supercharger, but I also want to make minimal changes to the rest of the car...I can settle for wider tires, and a new (FULL)exhaust system. But I don't want to go nuts with pullies, rear control arms, etc. Can I get a way with stock gears or will that lead to trouble if I leave them on?
[/b][/quote]

If you only want 400 hp I would recommend not getting a blower. You easily reach 380+ hp at the crank with Pulleys, CAI, tune, full exhaust (Longtube headers/H-pipe/catback. All this and some high performance gears should have you in that zone. Being a daily driver in snow would also factor in here....don't bother with the SC unless you want mega power up to say 475. Also you asked about reliability....well unless you are rebuilding your bottome end I would not get a SC because you risk blowing it all. Everyone will tell you it's all in the tune but bottom line if you're buying a SC you mine as well do it right and forge the internals. Use the SC properly or don't use it at all is what I say.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 1, 2006, 9:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

If you only want 400 hp I would recommend not getting a blower. You easily reach 380+ hp at the crank with Pulleys, CAI, tune, full exhaust (Longtube headers/H-pipe/catback. All this and some high performance gears should have you in that zone. Being a daily driver in snow would also factor in here....don't bother with the SC unless you want mega power up to say 475. Also you asked about reliability....well unless you are rebuilding your bottome end I would not get a SC because you risk blowing it all. Everyone will tell you it's all in the tune but bottom line if you're buying a SC you mine as well do it right and forge the internals. Use the SC properly or don't use it at all is what I say.

^ Just came back from a Stones concert.....mind the gap [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

^ Just came back from a Stones concert.....mind the gap [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 05:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick85 @ February 2, 2006, 2:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
\

Thanks dude. I might go that road. I want a supercharger but i dont feel like re-working the engine and all other necessary parts(mostly because of the money factor). What exactly do pulleys do?
Old 2/2/06, 06:01 AM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osu_p51 @ February 1, 2006, 10:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

On my Vortech reciept it says 3 years 36,000 Miles!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 2, 2006, 4:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
\

Thanks dude. I might go that road. I want a supercharger but i dont feel like re-working the engine and all other necessary parts(mostly because of the money factor). What exactly do pulleys do?
[/b][/quote]

Get a Supercharger man!! Dont be easily swayed by so many opinions.. I highly recommend you get the Vortech!! You have a GT!! You have no idea what your missing.. The fit and finish on the Vortech is unbelievable.. The support and warranty is also awsome...

I'll give you some advice.. Think longterm.. 3years 36,000 Miles!! Its like its from Ford!

3 years 36,000 Miles!! 3 years 36,000 miles!!

The SoruceHorse thread is really where you should spend most of your time... Brad is basically giving you a true insite on the subject about Vortech..

Let me ask you a question.. The Owner of this Mustang Website, chose Vortech out of all the others.. There must be a reason... I have personal experience as to the reasoning behind his decision.. His goal for the Sourcehorse is the ultimate 2005 Mustang GT!! So far, he is doing a great job.. Value his opinion, and trust in his judgement.. If you want to know what the best Supercharger is for the money, and support and Warranty, and power levels which is safe for your car, look no further than the SourceHorse thread.. There has to be a reason why Vortech is the Power-adder.. Yes I know the Roush, and Saleen Superchargers are very good products.. But not good enough for the SourceHorse!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 1, 2006, 4:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Are you ure that was the warranty and not the limit in days you had before you could get a full refund?
[/b][/quote]

The rep told me 30 days on parts with proof of purchase and proof of professional install.

Quick Reply: Bunch of S/C questions