GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bummed about the Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/07, 05:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bummed about the Whipple

Hey all. I was about to pull the trigger on the non-intercooled Whipple for my 06 auto, but I decided I needed to talk to a few more people who have done this mod on the auto (there aren't many). I had to go to several other forums, but finally was able to talk to several guys who had done this. Each one of them was disappointed in the hp gains and one of them even offered to sell me his Whipple. My local Ford tech said I should go with the intercooled system and just have it custom tuned for my car, but the intercooled kit is $6,000 and not recommended by Whipple for the auto. By the time I do that, headers, and an h-pipe I'm well into a Shelby GT500 sticker price range. I'm now considering trying to sell the dang thing again, stick the money into a CD and hope like hell the GT500's find their way down to sticker or...........maybe look into the Roush 427 that PACETTR showed me at the local dealership a few weeks ago. I'm thinking I won't be happy until I'm blown. Seriously though, don't you think that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on performance mods, I should just bite the bullet and buy the real thing, or at least something that is a limited production model with a factory installed s/c that will hold it's value better?

I know some of you are gonna tell me to go w/ the Kenne Bell or another supercharger, but I really wanted the Whipple because of their partnership with Ford and the fact that if something went wrong I know I'm protected by both Whipple and Ford. I haven't made my decision yet, but don't be suprised if my 06 shows up on ebay again.....................then don't be suprised if I'm posting pics of a Roush 427 or a GT500 in the hopefully near future. Comments welcome.........come on, it's time for everyone to tell me how f#$^ing crazy I am.
Old 1/19/07, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Comments welcome.........come on, it's time for everyone to tell me how f#$^ing crazy I am.
Go ahead and sell it... quiter.

You've got one of the best looking Mustang GT's on here, and you pretty much pioneered the Shelby front end transition. Honestly, why would you sell a car you have put so much blood, sweat, tears, and money into? You'll never get back out of it what you have in it.

Save up for the intercooled Whipple, and get it. I don't know of one unsatisfied intercooled Whipple owner. Sure, they all have their quirks, but all the intercooled Whipple guys love their blower.

Save up, get it, blow 99.99% of the cars on the road away.
Old 1/19/07, 06:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Its the tranny....

The auto tranny is pretty well the reason why Roush won't offer the higher HP pulley/belt on it.
I'm guessing thats why you can't get the intercooled kit for it (why its not recommended)

So either get a cheaper lower boost kit like the Roushcharger...or Whipple non-intercooled
or get a new purpose built auto tranny and kb that bad boy....
Old 1/19/07, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well to quote the old G 'N R song- dude "your f'n crazy!" LOL, you know you are.......

I don't have an auto but none the less I'm not excited about the Whipple either because of its price, and difficulty of adding mods with the stock Whipple tune. I don't live with my parents nor have a trust fund to fall back on and when you look at the costs involved, it just about makes you sick. Even the KB and Saleens are cheaper and the people that tell you that centris and roots-style blowers are worthless typically don't have a clue about the true performance capabilities of those kits. I'm leaning towards a centri-style blower that will make 460/430 to the wheels and cost me right at $4500, or maybe a Magnacharger with similar gains.

As far as the difference between blowing a GT or buying a Shelby, I want to drive my car daily so a Shelby is too expensive for me to insure and too nice to drive daily. Plus it will likely be a while before you can buy one close to sticker. For me, it doesn't make sense. I've had SE cars ('03 Merc Marauder, '04 Mach 1) and I felt more like babying them instead of driving them- this car, I'm having fun with.
Old 1/19/07, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom,

Great Guns and Roses reference........................as always you all are all giving me things to consider. I appreciate it.
Old 1/19/07, 06:40 PM
Cam Tease

Get a centri, headers, h-pipe, and (for when you do meet the "real deal" at a stoplight) nitrous. For day-to-day driving you'll barely increase drivetrain stress, but when you boot the thing, you'll have more than enough power.

Oh, and the car would still weigh less than a 4x2 F150...
Old 1/19/07, 06:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Tom,

Great Guns and Roses reference........................as always you all are all giving me things to consider. I appreciate it.
I've seen lots of guys over at ModularFords kicking out 450+rhwp with autos, and they have had no issues with the autos holding the power. Get much over 600rwhp, and you might have an issue, but I'll admit it, the auto can shift faster and more accurately than me.
Old 1/19/07, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stopped by my dealers today and they were prepping a Shelby GT500 red with white stripes. The car was already sold for 60K. It's a beautiful car BUT so is yours. Get a KB and forget about the Ford/Whipple love afair.

I asked one of the salesmen that was standing there if they were going to get any of the Shelby GT's in and he said, "what do you think that is?"
Old 1/19/07, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Honestly, w/o the intercooler, given the same boost I don't think you would see any meaningful difference in delivered power (Roush, KB, Whipple et al ... though Whipple claim a more efficent compressor ... which equates to less heat and parasitic loss). It really depends on how hard you drive and how long your tranny lives if you go with the intercooled kit. And with the intercooled kit, you are not required by Whipple or law to run 10 PSI ... change the pulley to limit boost to 8 or 9 psi. With the intercooler it will still have enough power to ensure eventual failure of something on the car.
Old 1/19/07, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OKLA OKLA OKLA, I guess a month can't pass where you or I aren't thinking about selling our cars. Well here is my take on your ride, I understand that you want to get the Whipple because of the ford and FRPP alliance. But keeping with that thought the Roush and more importantly the Saleen blowers were developed with the help of Ford nad I think they are both very good. Saleen owners seem to be bouncing off of the walls with thier results. I know they are a little more expensive but honestly I would never have a blower car without a intercooler.

Think about it like this, spend $6k more to get a car that looks, acts and performs like a $60k + Shelby (you are already 88% there).

I think you should broaden your horizons on the blower front man. I have had Pro-Chargers, Vortechs, eatons, etc... once you get past the name plate they are ALL AWESOME and one hell of a time!!!!

Personally I am going with the Power House 411 Turbo kit. Mike and his guys are super!!!! And their product is just plain B A D. A mostly stock car running a best of 10.68, it doesn't get better than that. I know what you are thinking, Turbo=$$$$. But Power house has priced their kit in the neighborhood of a Vortech or Pro-Charger kit.

Well that is my .02, hope this helps man
- Jesse
Old 1/19/07, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are not intercooling, you are missing out on "free" HP. I am not talking about $$. I am talking about less heat, longer engine life, and more power.

I just looked at a white gt500 vert (no stripes). While it was nicer than the silver car I saw a few weeks ago. I still can't swallow the fact that it costs double what I paid for my GT.

I got to sit in this one, play with the controls. Start it, blip the throttle (amazing how quiet the GT500 is compared to a stock GT, sounded kinda crappy). The weather sucked today so no test drive. There are a couple nice small interior items like the handbrake and stuff that are nice, but overall, it just does not do it for me for what the cost is. There are also alot of things that I like on my car alot better.

They want 20K over sticker. I said maybe I would go 8K over, but no more. And even thinking about that, I still would probably not do it especially for a vert. Not that I can't afford it, I just think that paying DOUBLE my current car payment plus the higher insurance for essentially the same **** car with better brakes, a bigger engine, and horrible weight distribution is just wrongheaded.
Old 1/20/07, 04:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all. I was about to pull the trigger on the non-intercooled Whipple for my 06 auto, but I decided I needed to talk to a few more people who have done this mod on the auto (there aren't many). I had to go to several other forums, but finally was able to talk to several guys who had done this. Each one of them was disappointed in the hp gains and one of them even offered to sell me his Whipple. My local Ford tech said I should go with the intercooled system and just have it custom tuned for my car, but the intercooled kit is $6,000 and not recommended by Whipple for the auto. By the time I do that, headers, and an h-pipe I'm well into a Shelby GT500 sticker price range. I'm now considering trying to sell the dang thing again, stick the money into a CD and hope like hell the GT500's find their way down to sticker or...........maybe look into the Roush 427 that PACETTR showed me at the local dealership a few weeks ago. I'm thinking I won't be happy until I'm blown. Seriously though, don't you think that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on performance mods, I should just bite the bullet and buy the real thing, or at least something that is a limited production model with a factory installed s/c that will hold it's value better?

I know some of you are gonna tell me to go w/ the Kenne Bell or another supercharger, but I really wanted the Whipple because of their partnership with Ford and the fact that if something went wrong I know I'm protected by both Whipple and Ford. I haven't made my decision yet, but don't be surprised if my 06 shows up on ebay again.....................then don't be suprised if I'm posting pics of a Roush 427 or a GT500 in the hopefully near future. Comments welcome.........come on, it's time for everyone to tell me how f#$^ing crazy I am.
Take a deep breath Brother of the Stang!...my 06 is a auto too!...tom 281 makes some great points!...Forced air induction is spendy any way you go!.........but I'm with Rich that Kenne Bell is a bad ****........but as far as engine compartment looks.. the Saleen cant be beat!.........I've made the mental commitment that the 06 is going to be traded on a 09 so other than the Steeda pro street header 's and UD pulley's Ive got to put on, no more performance mods on the 06 but that 09 better look out, I'm going to do some big Nasties to it.
Old 1/20/07, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you want a less expensive option you really should look into the Saleen. Do some reading on Modularfords forums. There are Saleen auto owners there that are running 450rwhp all day long....and JDM had a christmas sale that got you his stage II kit installed and tuned for about $7000. If that is too much the Saleen unit can be had for about $4500 new and even less used. Not to mention it is a cleaner looking install than the KB or Whipple. Just my $.02
Old 1/20/07, 06:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think the KB has a pretty good look installed.
The Saleen don't come with the bling.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/7/08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 1/20/07, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I know some of you are gonna tell me to go w/ the Kenne Bell or another supercharger, but I really wanted the Whipple because of their partnership with Ford and the fact that if something went wrong I know I'm protected by both Whipple and Ford. I haven't made my decision yet, but don't be suprised if my 06 shows up on ebay again.....................then don't be suprised if I'm posting pics of a Roush 427 or a GT500 in the hopefully near future. Comments welcome.........come on, it's time for everyone to tell me how f#$^ing crazy I am.
I dont think your crazy at all.
I have the auto...........and sure I'd love to put a supercharger or turbocharger on it.
BUT........I decided that if I was going to go that direction I would do it right. That means pulling the engine and replacing parts with parts that are designed to handle the extra HP.
When you look at the cost of buying and installing a power adder, the engine modifications, and then the mods to the suspension to get the power to the ground, your probably looking at $15,000.00 plus

All of this with no warranty

Take the price of a new GT and add the $15K, now your up to approx. $45K.

You thinking is right on coarse. Wait for the GT500 price to come down. (this may not ever happen) or get the 427, or wait for the new Dodge Challenger Retro to come out. I wouldnt consider the new Camero until GM figures out a way to get that stupid smile off the front of the grille.
Old 1/20/07, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
If you want a less expensive option you really should look into the Saleen. Do some reading on Modularfords forums. There are Saleen auto owners there that are running 450rwhp all day long....and JDM had a christmas sale that got you his stage II kit installed and tuned for about $7000. If that is too much the Saleen unit can be had for about $4500 new and even less used. Not to mention it is a cleaner looking install than the KB or Whipple. Just my $.02
+1 !

I got in on that special.. I'm dropping off my car on Feb 5th for the install. The guys at JDM are awesome. It's a family owned/op business with great customer service. I have the added convenience of living an hour away from them, but back to the topic:

They're track car last year made 600+ runs on the stock auto tranny.... They were pushing 550-575 hp at the wheels with the saleen blower. They did, however blow a band at the end of the season, but they were well over 600hp by then. The stage 2 kit will net you 450-470hp to the wheels......and be reliable at that. The blower is warrantied for 1 year no questions asked. Their work is guaranteed for as long as you own the car. You can't beat that. Their Saleen tune is amazing.....Especially because they tune it on the dyno right there.
Old 1/20/07, 08:40 AM
GT Member

Cool

Rob let me give you a bit of good advice...I've gone 202mph in the 1/4 mile and that was still not fast enough...what is fast enough?
Its a never ending high..If you owned the GT500 you'd want to mod it.
Mach one guys are modding,
The saleen guys are modding.
There is not a car out there thats fast enough.
Keep the stang and slowly mod it

Your friend,
Slim

P.S. That 202mph was in a front engine(Ford) rail that was crazy fast.
Old 1/20/07, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY

I asked one of the salesmen that was standing there if they were going to get any of the Shelby GT's in and he said, "what do you think that is?"
I have yet to meet a domestic car salesman that knew 10% of what I did about cars he was selling.
Old 1/20/07, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Just buy the 427R...

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of your ideas. Your current car, as previously stated, is one of the nicest around (other than those redfire and black ones running around ) and the s/c power would be awesome. The Roush cars draw attention EVERTWHERE you go, esp the 427 with its stripes. It will probably be a while before the GT500's come down.

BTW, we got our GT500 vert in yesterday. I'll post pics later. Solid black, no stripes, red interior. Rob and Slim, you guys come by and see it; don't mind the 6" of snow...
Old 1/20/07, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

you gotta pay to play. if the cost is gettng too high then dont do it. all you need to do is get the intercooled whipple kit and have the tranny rebuilt with a higher stall converter and your set.

Quick Reply: Bummed about the Whipple