GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brisk 3v (silver) spark plugs vs. Champion 3v double platinum

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/08, 07:15 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Brisk 3v (silver) spark plugs vs. Champion 3v double platinum

Guys, I'm looking into either the 3v double platinum Champion spark plugs, or the Brisk 3v silver racing plugs.

However I'm not really sure, if the Brisk plugs can be used on N/A vehicles, as their website seems to indicate their used mostly for modified, and S/C applications.

On the other hand, the Brisk plugs have been around much longer than the Champions.

So at this point, I'm not really sure as to which plug would be more compatible, and reliable with a N/A 3v Mustang.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that anyone who may have some info, and feedback to share. To please contribute.
Old 4/9/08, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Guys, I'm looking into either the 3v double platinum Champion spark plugs, or the Brisk 3v silver racing plugs.

However I'm not really sure, if the Brisk plugs can be used on N/A vehicles, as their website seems to indicate their used mostly for modified, and S/C applications.

On the other hand, the Brisk plugs have been around much longer than the Champions.

So at this point, I'm not really sure as to which plug would be more compatible, and reliable with a N/A 3v Mustang.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that anyone who may have some info, and feedback to share. To please contribute.
You might want to pm Steedagus I believe he is running their n/a plug or in other words the one that is rated up to 450 hp.
Old 4/10/08, 08:27 AM
GTR Member

I would like to know as well
Old 4/10/08, 08:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I would like to know as well
Read what Steeda say's one for up to 450 hp and one for FI applications
http://www.steeda.com/products/brisk...ugs_silver.php

Last edited by blkstang06; 4/10/08 at 08:33 AM.
Old 4/10/08, 09:12 AM
GTR Member

Thanks. It doesn't sound like they recommend it for stock vehicle w/ a tune..even though the lower temp one says up to 450 @ the flywheelI'll call when I'm ready for purchase
Old 4/10/08, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Why is everyone so concerned about the stock plugs?? I say just leave them be until you need to remove them. Give the market some time and the vendors will start rolling in more spark plug alternatives and solutions.
Old 4/10/08, 03:18 PM
GTR Member

I think that the longer they stay in,the harder they may be to get out and potentially could be very expensive to remove broken plugs(If the porcelin breaks) that doesn't mean you can't take them out ASAP with Kroil or something,clean them up and put anti seize on the stockers though.
Old 4/10/08, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the stock heat range brisk plugs in my 06 GT and they run great. I've sold quite a few sets to customers who are happy with them as well.

Gus
Old 4/10/08, 04:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
I've got the stock heat range brisk plugs in my 06 GT and they run great. I've sold quite a few sets to customers who are happy with them as well.

Gus
Thats what I thought.... thanks!
Old 4/11/08, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Why is everyone so concerned about the stock plugs?? I say just leave them be until you need to remove them. Give the market some time and the vendors will start rolling in more spark plug alternatives and solutions.

Amen.
Old 4/11/08, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

1) In the 18 years I've in this business I have yet to see an O.E. "100,000" mile spark plug that lasts anywhere near that long. Especially in a performance application.

2) Platinum in a spark plug is there for durability, not performance. A Brisk silver or even an alternative made of copper would have a lower resistance and therefore more spark energy for better performance. My car runs noticeably smoother with the Brisk spark plugs. Platinum will last a little longer, but none will last a full 100,000 miles without noticeable degredation.

3) There are well documented issues with the factory spark plugs and the possibility of them breaking upon removal due to their 2 piece design. If you choose to minimize your risk, you have choices now.
Old 4/11/08, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
1) In the 18 years I've in this business I have yet to see an O.E. "100,000" mile spark plug that lasts anywhere near that long. Especially in a performance application.

2) Platinum in a spark plug is there for durability, not performance. A Brisk silver or even an alternative made of copper would have a lower resistance and therefore more spark energy for better performance. My car runs noticeably smoother with the Brisk spark plugs. Platinum will last a little longer, but none will last a full 100,000 miles without noticeable degredation.

3) There are well documented issues with the factory spark plugs and the possibility of them breaking upon removal due to their 2 piece design. If you choose to minimize your risk, you have choices now.
Platinum/Iridium plugs still utilize a copper conductor core. The material change refers to the coatings used on the electrode tips. Copper plugs are notorious for erosion at low mileage. My AWSFA-12C (Copper plugs) showed SIGNIFICANT erosion at 12k miles. In the same engine application, the AWSFA-22WM (Motorcraft Iridium/Platinum) looked brand spanking new at 20k miles.

With modern ignition coils, especially DIS COP systems that provide up to 32,000V right at each plug, the use of platinum/iridium materials on the electrode tips will not rob the engine of power. It is not recommended to use these new plugs on older ignition systems, such as Duraspark/distributor based systems because there's not enough voltage to jump the gap reliably/consistently. Ford equips many of their engines FROM THE FACTORY with iridium/platinum plugs.

By the time I hit 100k miles in my Mustang, we won't be using gas engines anymore so I am not concerned. If it gets stuck, I'll just use penetrant oil as per the TSB. If the heads are really messed up, I can always go out and buy some aftermarket heads or some ported/polished options in the future. As a last resort, I can just trade it in for a better car like an Infiniti G37 Coupe or a Subaru WRX STI.

Yes there are a few choices available now, and I know of a few people whom changed their plugs at 100k+ miles without any problems. Remember that the 3V was already used starting in 2002, just not in this hemisphere of the planet. As long as you soak the plugs in penetrant oil for as long as possible, they will come out. In 5 years, we'll see more options for spark plugs - ones that are verified to be OEM-spec and at lower prices. It just seems odd that people are jumping on the bandwagon, screaming "OMFG I need to get rid of these plugs NOW" even with brand new 2008 Mustangs.

Look at the bright side, we won't have to worry about plug ejections like with the 4.6/5.4 2V V8s.
Old 4/11/08, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

It just seems odd that people are jumping on the bandwagon, screaming "OMFG I need to get rid of these plugs NOW" even with brand new 2008 Mustangs.
It's cheap, easy, and effective preventative maintenance. It's not like we're disassembling the engine. All it cost is a few bucks for anti-sieze and carb cleaner, a few more bucks if you choose to put in new plugs, and an hour or two of messing with your car, which most of us enjoy doing anyway. And for that small cost, we gain some peace of mind. Why is that hard to understand?
Old 4/11/08, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It just seems like an easy way to make a lot of money selling high-demand spark plugs that will drop in price within a few years. Again, there are people out there with over 100k miles on their 3V heads and don't have problems with removing the 2-piece plugs. The penetrant oil appears to be the key. Soak it as long as possible and it should come out. I'll just wait for inexpensive OEM-spec 1-piece Motorcraft plugs to be released in a few years rather than waste my time and money rushing to jump on the bandwagon.
Old 4/11/08, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

It just seems like an easy way to make a lot of money selling high-demand spark plugs that will drop in price within a few years.
I just bought the Campions for $4.95 each - I doubt they'll be much lower than that.

Again, there are people out there with over 100k miles on their 3V heads and don't have problems with removing the 2-piece plugs.
There are also people who smoke all their lives and don't get lung cancer. Doesn't mean it's not risky.

The penetrant oil appears to be the key. Soak it as long as possible and it should come out.
There are plenty of posts out there by people who did everything by the word of the TSB and still broke a plug or two.

Not trying to be confrontational, just wanted to stress that there are different ways to approach the issue, and none are necessarily right or wrong. It's all about your comfort level regarding risk-taking. Your comfort level is obviously high in this case. For others it's not so they take some preventative maintenance. It's not really a jump-on-the bandwagon thing.
Old 4/11/08, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

Platinum/Iridium plugs still utilize a copper conductor core.
An ignition is only as good as its weakest component, the spark plug still has to fire through the platinum tip, which increases the resistance of the spark plug and reduces spark energy.

My AWSFA-12C (Copper plugs) showed SIGNIFICANT erosion at 12k miles. In the same engine application, the AWSFA-22WM (Motorcraft Iridium/Platinum) looked brand spanking new at 20k miles.
Yes, that is what I would have expected to see at 20,000 miles in a platinum vs copper comparison. Silver as used by Brisk will last longer than copper, but will still not be as durable as platinum.

With modern ignition coils, especially DIS COP systems that provide up to 32,000V right at each plug, the use of platinum/iridium materials on the electrode tips will not rob the engine of power.
Correct, I dont think anyone here has said it robs power, but there is a difference in efficiency. Anybody who has done either the brisk spark plugs or a set of MSD ignition coils on an N/A car can attest to how much smoother the car runs. Those with supercharged cars can also attest to some nice increases in torque. I've got a customer that gained over 20ft/lbs of torque from 2000 to about 4800rpm on a Magnuson supercharged with MSD coil packs.

I know of a few people whom changed their plugs at 100k+ miles without any problems
So do I. I also know people with less than 10,000 miles who went to change their plugs for a supercharger or some other valid reason, only to have broken plugs and a nightmare afterward, because this happened before Ford had the special tool to remove the old plug.

Even with that tool, if you are not careful you can get debris into the engine and have an issue, and I know of 1 such person who did have an issue and still had to get the engine torn down.

If the heads are really messed up, I can always go out and buy some aftermarket heads or some ported/polished options in the future.
Yes, you can, but even the "expensive" brisk plugs are a drop in the bucket compared to the alternative. Which not all of us may be as ready for as you are.
Old 4/11/08, 12:09 PM
GT Member

i think iread that if the dealership was to replace them with brisk or something that i was to buy and they was to break one of them taking them out that i would hve to pay to be fixed. is this right? i dont understand how they can do that especially if still under warranty.
Old 4/11/08, 06:49 PM

It just seems odd that people are jumping on the bandwagon, screaming "OMFG I need to get rid of these plugs NOW" even with brand new 2008 Mustangs.
Charlie,

Those with late 2007 and new 2008 models, don't need to be concerned. As they already have the new re-designed heads which allow using the upgraded plugs with improved design threading.

It's those of us who have 2005 through early 07 models, who Ford screwed over. So yes, I'm deeply concerned when it comes to the possibility of spark plugs breaking in the heads, all because of Ford's poor design. In which they're obviously very aware of, but yet they won't even bother to lift a finger, when it comes down to doing the right thing for their customers. And although this issue isn't safety related, Ford should still step up to the plate from a public relations standpoint, and recall all 2005-07 3v vehicles, and retrofit them with the new re-designed heads.

Anyway my apologies for such a rant, but IMHO the last thing I should be concerned about, are spark plugs breaking in a $ 30,000 car. There is just no excuse period !!!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/11/08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 4/11/08, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by staindreality
i think iread that if the dealership was to replace them with brisk or something that i was to buy and they was to break one of them taking them out that i would hve to pay to be fixed. is this right? i dont understand how they can do that especially if still under warranty.
Here's the excuse I got from my Dealer's service manager. Even if a Ford technician breaks a spark plug. As long as the technician follows the removal instructions, as stated in the Ford service manual. The dealership is NOT liable for damaged parts, resulting from the manufactures design flaws.

I also do not understanding how they're able to do this, nor do I agree with their policy. But unfortunately, that's just the way it is.
Old 4/11/08, 08:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Here's the excuse I got from my Dealer's service manager. Even if a Ford technician breaks a spark plug. As long as the technician follows the removal instructions, as stated in the Ford service manual. The dealership is NOT liable for damaged parts, resulting from the manufactures design flaws.

I also do not understanding how they're able to do this, nor do I agree with their policy. But unfortunately, that's just the way it is.
The dealership may be able to deny liability because it is a design flaw that they have no control over.
A good service manager would find a way to help the customer recover costs though.
Ford can be sued for a design flaw that causes damage to a vehicle.
A class action lawsuit could initialize a recall. (This would probably only change the plugs to a 1 piece design, not the heads)
Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Brisk 3v (silver) spark plugs vs. Champion 3v double platinum