The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Brenspeed's Detroit Rockers - review (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/brenspeeds-detroit-rockers-review-495159/)

HG6283 2/12/12 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by 08GOGTCS (Post 6246617)
Hello Folks,
Has anyone installed the Edelbrock E-force SC stage 1 from Brenspeed along with their Detroit Rocker Cams?

I had a professional installer install the SC and Cams last April 2011. Brenspeed had to write many tunes to get the car just to run reasonably. The vehicle will not idle (giving it gas) or run until the car is warm. Takes a minimum of 4 to 5 minutes. Then the car sometimes dips at idle and especially when coming to a stop. I have had many conversations with the guys at Brenspeed, and they seem genuine, but they tell me this is the way it is with this setup of these Cams and the E-force. I’m not sure if I agree with this.

I had Brenspeed install the Edelbrock E-force SC stage 2 along with their Detroit Rocker Cams and I have had similar issues. The engine would die when coming to a stop. Other times it would 'almost' die, then rev itself to 1500 or so RPM and then drop back down.

I went through several sessions of emailing tunes back and forth, but the best result happened when I drove back to Brenspeed and they worked with the car in-person.
While not 100%, it is now certainly MUCH better. It does not die when coming to a stop. But the normal idle is now too high to hear much lope from the cams.

There are some combinations of mods which just don't play well with each other.

08GOGTCS 2/12/12 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by HG6283 (Post 6250844)
I had Brenspeed install the Edelbrock E-force SC stage 2 along with their Detroit Rocker Cams and I have had similar issues. The engine would die when coming to a stop. Other times it would 'almost' die, then rev itself to 1500 or so RPM and then drop back down.

I went through several sessions of emailing tunes back and forth, but the best result happened when I drove back to Brenspeed and they worked with the car in-person.
While not 100%, it is now certainly MUCH better. It does not die when coming to a stop. But the normal idle is now too high to hear much lope from the cams.

There are some combinations of mods which just don't play well with each other.

Thanks Much. This is the information I have been looking for. I think I am going back to the stock cams. Now, what to do with SC ground Detroit Rocker cams?

08GOGTCS 6/19/12 05:05 AM

Update:

I contacted Brenspeed again. This time they gave me a tune of another customer with the same stage 1, Cams, and other mods. Tune is much better and car is very drivable now. I wish I could have had this tune earlier. Anyway, Thanks to Miles in the tuning department for this tune. CAMS are staying in, now.

tigerhonaker 6/19/12 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 08GOGTCS (Post 6379371)
Update:

I contacted Brenspeed again. This time they gave me a tune of another customer with the same stage 1, Cams, and other mods. Tune is much better and car is very drivable now. I wish I could have had this tune earlier. Anyway, Thanks to Miles in the tuning department for this tune. CAMS are staying in, now.

Scott,

I'm glad things have worked out for you. :D

Miles is an OK Guy.

tigerhonaker

Kobie 6/28/12 12:15 AM

tigerhonaker,

Did you use the stock phasers, phaser limiters or phaser lock outs with these cams?

Just curious!

tigerhonaker 6/28/12 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kobie (Post 6386302)
tigerhonaker,

Did you use the stock phasers, phaser limiters or phaser lock outs with these cams?

Just curious!

When I had the, (Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Blower) cams evrything was Stock in the valve train.
That is the main reason so many run them.
There is no need to alter the Ford Stock valve train at all.

I do-not any longer have those cams.

tigerhonaker

Glenn 6/28/12 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the info in this thread everyone. I was thinking about cams being one of my next mods

Freedom Racing 6/28/12 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6386640)
Thanks for all the info in this thread everyone. I was thinking about cams being one of my next mods

I no longer have that 06 GT. I now drive a 12 GT500. I love the Shelby but the one thing I do miss is the Detroit Rockers. That old school muscle sound was awesome! :metal:

Agent MOO 6/28/12 01:29 PM

These are on my list too. One of these days after spending another afternoon drooling over youtube clips I'll pull the trigger

muscledom 6/28/12 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Agent MOO
These are on my list too. One of these days after spending another afternoon drooling over youtube clips I'll pull the trigger

Come take a trip to Daytona for turkey rod. That'll do the trick. Did for me anyway lol

hammeron 7/2/12 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 08GOGTCS (Post 6379371)
Tune is much better and car is very drivable now.

sounds like a happy ending, i'm glad things worked out for you.

08GOGTCS 7/3/12 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by hammeron (Post 6389223)
sounds like a happy ending, i'm glad things worked out for you.

I am happy, now. It just took longer than it should. I figure I am not a high profile customer that runs drag racing events and I am not local to them, but that's just how things work out sometimes. You live, you learn, you move on.

08GOGTCS 10/22/12 10:33 AM

Well, I spoke too soon. :banghead: The Detroit Rocker CAMS just don't play well with the E-force. The latest tune Brenspeed sent me seemed to be better, but start-up cold issues and the stalling got worse over time. Had them removed and put the stock CAMS back in. ALL issues with drivability, start-up, idle dip, stalling, etc, are GONE! I won't be using or recommending these CAMS to anyone.

Anyone want to buy a used set of Detroit Rocker S/C ground CAMS?

tigerhonaker 10/22/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 08GOGTCS (Post 6471486)
Well, I spoke too soon. :banghead: The Detroit Rocker CAMS just don't play well with the E-force. The latest tune Brenspeed sent me seemed to be better, but start-up cold issues and the stalling got worse over time. Had them removed and put the stock CAMS back in. ALL issues with drivability, start-up, idle dip, stalling, etc, are GONE! I won't be using or recommending these CAMS to anyone.

Anyone want to buy a used set of Detroit Rocker S/C ground CAMS?

Scott,

Some Cams just don't work well in certain applications.

I know as I have been there with mine.

If you really want a set of Cams that will work excellent with the E-Force I can help you on that.
A Buddy of mine has the E-Force and use to have the Brenspeed (Detroit Rocker Blower) cams.
You know the Story on that already .....

I told him to get with Brenspeed and get the Brenspeed Spec Blower Cams.
They do work and they drive Excellent.
Also they do deliver more Punch.

I use to run those a long time back.

Give Brent White a call and tell him tigerhonaker suggested you get those cams I just mentioned. (1-574-594-9559)

http://www.brenspeed.com/127bren2.html

Item #:127BREN2

Quote from Brenspeed on those Cams:
This custom Brenspeed cam set is possibly one of the best bolt on parts for your
supercharged Mustang. We have seen gains of 30 rwhp on multiple vehicles when
adding this cam set to a car already running a twin screw supercharger. The best part
is when designing these cams we worked with Comp Cams and included the new
NSR cam technology. NSR means no springs required! This means you can simply
install this cam set using your factory springs and retainers. This shaves hours off of
the install time and should keep your installation cost to a minimum.

Many customers are concerned about drive-ability after installing a cam set. We drove
one of our custom Brenspeed cam equipped Stage 3 Saleen test Mustangs 1,200
miles to Orlando Speed World. When we arrived we clicked off several 11.6 quarter
mile times and then drove the 1,200 miles back. On the drive we averaged 72 MPH
and 23.7 MPG through our automatic transmission and factory 3.31 gear. On the
highway the car drives like stock which is yet another great test that proved our
custom grind cams are not only perfectly streetable but also friendly at the gas
pump.

Terry

08GOGTCS 10/23/12 04:59 AM

Terry,
Thanks for the tip, and I do appreciate the tips and advice, but I am going to stay with the stock cams for now. I am not sure I believe Brenspeed on their claim for the cams you suggested. They say similar language for drivability on the Detroit Rocker, also. Just can't see adding only 30 horse with that much potential trouble. Now, if Brenspeed wants to give me a discount in return for the Detroit Rockers, then I might think about it. But it would require me to get another tune, also. This is gettin expensive.

Scott

tigerhonaker 10/23/12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 08GOGTCS (Post 6472666)
Terry,
Thanks for the tip, and I do appreciate the tips and advice, but I am going to stay with the stock cams for now. I am not sure I believe Brenspeed on their claim for the cams you suggested. They say similar language for drivability on the Detroit Rocker, also. Just can't see adding only 30 horse with that much potential trouble. Now, if Brenspeed wants to give me a discount in return for the Detroit Rockers, then I might think about it. But it would require me to get another tune, also. This is gettin expensive.

Scott

Scott,

It is expensive to change things as we and everyone else knows that has performance Machines.

Good-Luck !!!
Terry

08GOGTCS 10/25/12 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker (Post 6473123)
Scott,

It is expensive to change things as we and everyone else knows that has performance Machines.

Good-Luck !!!
Terry

So True! Thanks.

HG6283 10/25/12 05:00 AM

Definitely, stay with the stock cams.
With the E-Force, NOTHING I tried works as well.

seabiscuit 11/14/12 04:36 PM

Just my one cent about the cams - they are waste of time and money!!!
I have installed in my mustang most of available modifications for N/A car spending thousands of $$$ I got some nice figures and nice results on ¼ mile.

So my last mode was COMP Cams NSR Stage II which I bought from Brenspeed as they favortie install (they did not have detroit one that time). They were the biggest my disappointment ever. Big loss of power I lost 1sek on 1/4mile and 30HP through whole dyno pull. Was fighting with them for two years changing some components and tunes with Brenspeed. After two years I back to stock cams and I am very happy again apart that I have comp camps sitting in my garage with all installing hardware for 1000$ total.
What a waste of time and money.

Any one who consider cams do not do that – you want a power and reasonable spend $ go S/C.
Most of people who are happy from installing cams are changing at the same time many other parts which are improving performance much. The results is they fill difference and they are happy saying those cams are really great when in many cases they give nothing and performance increase is from other parts installed at the same time.

Cams are good only for exhaust sound change nothing else – no power increase rather power loss.

seabiscuit 11/14/12 04:50 PM

P.s

Any way my tips from a Mustang guy who chose N/A painful way of 6 year modifications.
If I will have my knowledge now when I started performance mods I would go for:
1/ Saleen/ Kebebell or Roush S/C and set it for around 450 safe BHP
2/ Big 6 piston wilwood brake kit + rear one too
3/ Performance clutch
4/ MGW short Shifter
5/ Suspension improvements

And the funny thing is that the total bill for that will be similar to the all N/A modifications so far.