GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brenspeed Bullet intake and sct tune question

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/09, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Brenspeed Bullet intake and sct tune question

Brenspeed has a nice package that has the Ford Racing Bullitt type cai and a SCT X2 tuner load with the bullitt tubes for a nice price and was thinking about getting it for my 07 GT. Wanted to know if anyone knows for SURE if this setup will pass emission testing or will I need to switch back to my stock tune and air cleaner for that? Thanks!
Old 1/7/09, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the other thread on this topic but in short, the intake will pass, the tune will not. You will need either the Ford tune that comes with the Bullitt intake, or you will need to put the stock box back on and flash your PCM with the stock tune that is captured when you first do your upgrade. I am in this boat as I bought the Bullitt intake and Tillman tunes. Come smog time, I will put my stock setup back on. However, I did float the idea to Tillman of having them copy the Ford ProCal Bullitt tune exactly and making it available. I believe that if I went to a smog station with the Bullitt intake with Ford spec'ed tunes, it should pass no different than if I bought the Bullit CAI from Ford with their official ProCal tune. I am hoping that the tuners out there can crack the Ford ProCal tune and copy it so this is possible. However maybe somebody who has more knowledge of the actual programming can pipe up on this.
Old 1/7/09, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure CR will chime in, but I'm reasonably certain that Tillmans, Brenspeed, or any other qualified tuner can give you an emissions friendly (rear O2 sensors turned on) tune for the Bullett CAI. There's nothing magical about that intake compared to any other aftermarket intake that would require a Ford-specific tune. Get yourself an 87 tune in case your stuck somewhere without premium fuel available, a 93 tune (rear O2's off)for everyday driving, and a 93 emissions tune (rear O2's on) for inspection.

Frank, since you live so close I would highly recommend going to Tillmans and getting the intake installed/dynotuned in person. While I'm sure the Brenspeed tune is fine, there is something comforting about being able to see the work/tune done in person. Peace of mind= priceless to me.
Old 1/7/09, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

I agree Rusty, but I'll bet the price is gonna be a whole lot more the the $599 that Brenspeed wants with four tunes, the sct x3 and the bullitt intake.. I want to install the intake too. I'm not gonna pay to have it installed..
unless Chris gives me a killer turn key deal
Maybe Chris can chime in.. Id love to stay local...

Chris????

Originally Posted by 300GT
I'm sure CR will chime in, but I'm reasonably certain that Tillmans, Brenspeed, or any other qualified tuner can give you an emissions friendly (rear O2 sensors turned on) tune for the Bullett CAI. There's nothing magical about that intake compared to any other aftermarket intake that would require a Ford-specific tune. Get yourself an 87 tune in case your stuck somewhere without premium fuel available, a 93 tune (rear O2's off)for everyday driving, and a 93 emissions tune (rear O2's on) for inspection.

Frank, since you live so close I would highly recommend going to Tillmans and getting the intake installed/dynotuned in person. While I'm sure the Brenspeed tune is fine, there is something comforting about being able to see the work/tune done in person. Peace of mind= priceless to me.

Last edited by topbliss; 1/7/09 at 11:51 AM.
Old 1/7/09, 06:19 PM
GT Member

PM him. And agreed - probably will cost more. But the peace of mind knowing the tune is dead on for your car, as well as just the coolness factor of seeing your car on the dyno is worth something. At least that's how I felt about it. Either way though I'm sure you'll be a happy camper. Hard to find fault with the OEM looks/fit on that intake.
Old 1/7/09, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by topbliss
I agree Rusty, but I'll bet the price is gonna be a whole lot more the the $599 that Brenspeed wants with four tunes, the sct x3 and the bullitt intake.. I want to install the intake too. I'm not gonna pay to have it installed..
unless Chris gives me a killer turn key deal
Maybe Chris can chime in.. Id love to stay local...

Chris????
Woah woah woah!!! A little faith!

I can match the price. Install it, and dyno tune it for $150 more. $749.99 out the door.

That $599.99 comes with mail order tunes (three of them fit in the SCT handheld, your fourth slot is taken with your vehicles stock program). All of our mail-order tunes are done in-house exclusively on our Dynojet 224xLC. We're also the same altitude and climate, so you know you're getting ****-close tunes!

I can ship one out for you within 24 hours. Give me a call, we're phone orders, pm orders, and in-store orders only temporarily.
Our online store is SIIIIIIIIIIICK, wait another few weeks until it's inventory is filled!!!
This will make it so much easier for both local and worldwide customers.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776 / 3736
Old 1/8/09, 05:43 AM
Cobra Member

ok Chris.. Sounds like a good deal. Are you saying for $599 you will get my the intake and 4 mail order tunes? OR for $150 more I get the car actually dyno tuned with 4 tunes and the intake installed? sounds like a winner.. oh and can you do a tune with the )2 sensors ON so that it will pass emissions or an emissions tune?? I am concerned that the car won't pass emissions and I don't want to reinstall the stock intake and stock tune just to get it to. Is that possible?

Last edited by topbliss; 1/8/09 at 05:46 AM.
Old 1/9/09, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor

Any SCT programmer will only hold 3 custom programs. The fourth slot is taken by your stock tune when it pulls it out of your car. But yes, $599 mail order, $150 more to get it tuned on the dyno and installed.

Yes we can do one of the slots as an emissions tune, one 93 Street Race (trust me), and a third of your choice.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 1/9/09, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor

SNEAK PEAK OF THE TILLMAN SPEED NEW ONLINE STORE!!!
Attached Images  
Old 1/10/09, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

perfect Chris! Thanks a lot buddy! Soon as the weather breaks Ill be making a date to bring up my car for the dyno testing and tuning!

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Any SCT programmer will only hold 3 custom programs. The fourth slot is taken by your stock tune when it pulls it out of your car. But yes, $599 mail order, $150 more to get it tuned on the dyno and installed.

Yes we can do one of the slots as an emissions tune, one 93 Street Race (trust me), and a third of your choice.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 1/12/09, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor

Sounds good!