GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Boxed my stock lowers

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/05, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought i show you guys this.Friday I did not have much going on and i new i was going to the track later on that day.So thinking of what i could do or change i decided to remove my stock lowers and box them and make them solid with no rubber bushings.
First i went to the hardware store to find washers to weld around the bolt tubes to the control arm to eliminate the rubber bushings wich held the tubes.So i welded one side then torched out the rubber and finished welding the other sides.Then I cut some 1/8'' bar stock to weld into the arms to box them.Then i painted everything silver.I did this just to see the diferance with the knowing i will be buying the good ones soon.
Results were awesome.Got my 60 ft down to 1.62 on slippery night.i think I can get some 1.5,s on a treated with these.
Bad news-car drives like a tank with a lot of rearend noise harmonicing into the body of the car.And they also weighed quite a bit after.
just a test i will now order the good race ones with Hime joints.
Old 10/23/05, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Good job! you sure are all about drag racing, got more ***** than most 05 owners here.
Old 10/23/05, 09:36 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I wish I could weld. I could never make the roll of coins. Better yet I wish I had access to welding equipment at work but I'll have to live with my own machine shop. Mike if you need anything machined, simple stuff, I can do it for you. Between George and I, we have you covered.
Old 10/23/05, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice work bro, too much time on your hands

You know..when I replaced mine for the BMR's, the rubber bushings were cracked all the way through and the car has under 6k on the odometer.I was very surpsied they were that bad this early.The stock bushings arent worth anything IMO.
Old 10/23/05, 11:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice job Mike. Those arms were heavy before you started. I did not think they would flex to start with but they sure as tell will not now. I know what you mean about the noise. I am over on the other thread looking for sound deadening blanket for the floor area.
Did you happen to check the ID of the control arms after you took the rubber bushings out?
I could remove the rubber bushings and machine some bushings out of nylon or Teflon to replace the stock rubber ones but not sure how long (years) they would last. My son could run them on his GT as I have BMRs on mine.
Anyone know where to purchase polyurethane bushings. If I knew a place that makes them I could make a mold if they did not have one the correct size. I know they are poured so it should not cost too much.