GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bought my H-Pipe, one question....

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/06, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just bought my Pypes O/R H-Pipe, it should be here on Friday and I want to get all of my ducks in a row. For those of you have have installed one, how high do I need to jack the car up in order to comfortably get all of the work done? Will ramps do the trick or should I go higher?
Old 3/1/06, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ March 1, 2006, 5:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just bought my Pypes O/R H-Pipe, it should be here on Friday and I want to get all of my ducks in a row. For those of you have have installed one, how high do I need to jack the car up in order to comfortably get all of the work done? Will ramps do the trick or should I go higher?
[/b][/quote]

I used ramps (Ryno?) on the front and jackstands on the back. There are alot of tips for installation that are already spelled out in a different thread. My quick input:

1) Buy or have ready a swivel head rachet to get the nuts off the manifold bolts; the factory cats make them alittle hard to get to.

2) Unplug all 3 02 sensors and remove the pipe with the sensors in place. Transfer them to the new pipe, then install new pipe and plug the sensors back in.

One more thing: I drove for a couple of weeks without a SES light; then all of a sudden, it came. Had to have the rear 02 sensors turned off using the X2. No SES problem since.

Thanks.
Old 3/1/06, 03:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've got a thread bookmarked that goes into deatail for the install so I have all of my tools (and beer) ready to good and Doug has already turned of my rear o2 sensors for me. Time to play the waiting game....
Old 3/1/06, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ March 1, 2006, 5:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've got a thread booked marked that goes into deatail for the install so I have all of my tools (and beer) ready to good and Doug has already turned of my rear o2 sensors for me. Time to play the waiting game....
[/b][/quote]

I knew I was forgetting something............ staying properly hydrated is key to installing this pipe, or any other mod for that matter. Good luck!
Old 3/1/06, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used 4 ramps (jacked the car up to get it on all 4) and completed the instll in under an hour with NO BEER... Of course, beer prolly would have made that O2 harness come out easier... And made the pipe not as hot [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

The passenger side upper manifold bolt is a PITA. It took me longer than others on here, mainly b/c of trying to break the top two bolts free. Other than that it's 8 bolts, 3 sensors, Took me about 10 minutes to do the sensors and 6 bolts. About 30 minutes to get driver side top and about 1 hour to get passenger side bolt.

Better tools would have helped.
Old 3/2/06, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

the second post pretty much sums it up. I have swapped out 4 times now, and done it with just ramps on the front, which is really really tight, but it can be done. the last time i just jacked up the front with a floor jack as high as it could go and put the ramps there just incase, and did it real quick.

and yes getting to the manifold bolts with the cats on there is a female dog. be patient and be sure you get a good angle. also with the primary O2 sensor, it is much easier to disconnect it from the top, thru the hood. you cant see it, so you have to do it all by feel. and be careful not to knock it off its little mount, becuase that makes everything a LOT harder if you ever swap again.
Old 3/3/06, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok, just came in from trying to unbolt the stock h pipe. You guys weren't lying when you said it is a royal pain in the **** trying to get to the manifold bolts. Once I get to them I can not get them to budge. I've tried WD-40, maybe just not enough? Even loosening the o2 sensors is a pain. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 3/3/06, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

you dont want to mess with the O2 bolts until the pipe is off the car completely. it is much easier that way. just unplug them all from their harnesses. just be patient with the manifold bolts, and try a longer extention. they will come off.
Old 3/3/06, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ March 3, 2006, 3:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, just came in from trying to unbolt the stock h pipe. You guys weren't lying when you said it is a royal pain in the **** trying to get to the manifold bolts. Once I get to them I can not get them to budge. I've tried WD-40, maybe just not enough? Even loosening the o2 sensors is a pain. I will try again tomorrow.
[/b][/quote]

Maybe by tomorrow you will grow some muscles..............sorry man, just bustin' on you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Let the WD40 or some other penetrating solution get to it. If that fails, you may have to heat it slightly but hopefully not. You'll get it, just take your time.
Old 3/3/06, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

You're probably using a 3/8" inch ratchet (I did sme thing). Get a 1/2" and will make the difference
Old 3/3/06, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gt6974a @ March 3, 2006, 7:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You're probably using a 3/8" inch ratchet (I did sme thing). Get a 1/2" and will make the difference
[/b][/quote]

Indeed, I am using a 3/8" rachet. I dont have a 1/2", maybe I'll go out and buy one tomorrow and give it a try.

Tom, I'm hoping I grow some more muscle tonight! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 3/3/06, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ March 3, 2006, 4:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Tom, I'm hoping I grow some more muscle tonight! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

One word: spinach!
Old 3/4/06, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

ok guys, what is the secret to disconnecting the top o2 sensor on the passenger side? Looking down from under the hood I can see the blue connector but how in the world do you reach it to disconnect it?
Old 3/4/06, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ March 4, 2006, 10:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ok guys, what is the secret to disconnecting the top o2 sensor on the passenger side? Looking down from under the hood I can see the blue connector but how in the world do you reach it to disconnect it?
[/b][/quote]

I reached it from under the car, reaching around and over the top of the transmission housing. Follow the wires with your hand starting at the sensor and heading up; you'll feel the plug eventually. Once you feel it, you should be able to see it too from under the car too if you have good lighting. Unplug it, make sure you have the other 2 unplugged, then drop the pipe.

Everybody now: you can do it, you can do it, you can do it, lol........ [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got it from the top, you cant see poo, so find the pipe with your hand, then feel around for the sensor, then follow it up to its harness where it unplugs. you cant see ANYTHING so dont try, do it by feel. close your eyes, and use the force. thats how I have been doing it
Old 3/4/06, 01:04 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ March 1, 2006, 2:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

That depends on the size of your belly!LOL!
Old 3/4/06, 07:02 PM

I used a 3/8 long handle ratchet with a very long extension .No swivel just used muscle and they came right off.Also I removed batery and batery tray to easily access the top O2,s and make life easier.
Old 3/4/06, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mike I can barely read your sig... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 07:20 PM

sig was acting crazy................I hate when you try and mod it.

Quick Reply: Bought my H-Pipe, one question....