GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BMR Race Lower Control Arm Install

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/05, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have already done this mod... was the rear end more noisy afterwards? I havent seen anybody else install the "Race" version so I didnt really know what to expect.

I still have to adjust the units for the proper pinion angle for better launching and to help correct from the Sportline drop. Where do I find an angle finder if not at a hardware store?

So far I have noticed no wheelhop but I sure can spin the tires when I drop my foot now. I may just have to get some drag wheels and tires.

I have a pic but I'll post that later.

-Dan
Old 8/19/05, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't have the race LCA's, but I still got quite an increase in rear end noise just from the regular LCA's. I know everything that is going on in that diff now. I'm very happy I didn't install the upper.
Old 8/19/05, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

Im guessing most of the noise is due to the lack of bushings but its well worth the complete removal of any wheelhop. Im hoping that I can get up to Sacramento again this next Frday to see what I can do now.

Im hoping it wont take long to fabricate the nitrous bottle bracket mount for the forward position in the trunk. That project starts on Monday and may take a few days, I may not even have my car during that time.

-Dan
Old 8/19/05, 10:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've got the regular BMR's with the bushings. A lot noisier now, lots of clanging, banging, and whining. First of all, I thought the LCA'a were loose or not torqued right, but they were mounted and torqued well, and I double checked them a couple of times. Then, all the whining from the rear end got me worried, but some Amsoil synthetic quited things down.

And, I still have a lot of wheel hop. On the street, it smoothed it out a bit, but at the track, I hopped all the way through first and skipped through second, so not sure if they are worth it. They did make a difference, but not sure if it's worth the noise for daily driving.
Old 8/19/05, 10:12 PM

It's going to be hard to find an angle finder. I searched all over, even Snap-on. I think I found a little blue one from Home Depot. I was looking for one that had the smallest increments of measurement. You may have better luck than myself. You can also check out the internet for an inclinometer. The attachent below explains how to check the angle. It also has a part number for an inclinometer that you may be able to order from Ford.
Old 8/20/05, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

I love Summitracing.com

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...t=egnsearch.asp

Angle Finder by CE To increase the angle, do I shorten the LCA?

By the by, here is a pic of the passengerside LCA installed.

-Dan
Old 8/23/05, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to "hijack" a thread... But it appears the curb incident has damaged my right front LCA. Are there any aftermarket FRONT LCAs out yet? Maybe to cut down on a little weight while repairing my car...
Old 8/23/05, 09:15 PM

Sorry I didn't mention it before, but I really don't think pinion angle is adjusted with the LCA's. The adj. LCA's are more for lengthing or shortening the wheelbase. The upper control third link is for adjusting the pinion angle. This is how I understand it atleast or how I adjust my pinion angle.
To find the pinion angle (as I understand it) you will need to do the following. 1. with the car in resting position, push the rear of the car down a few times to normalize the suspension. Take your inclinometer or angle finder (which is like $4 at Home Depot) and place it on a flat surface of the rear driveshaft towards the differential or pinion. Record that number. Then take your anglefinder and place it on the flat portion-bottom of diff housing, towards the pinion or close to the joint. Record that number. Subtract the one number from the other and that's you angle...That's what I've been told, but that doesn't necessarily make it right.

If adjusting the lca's works for pinion angle, here's an example of adjusting...If you're at -2 degrees with the intention of being at -3 (which seems to be the magic number) you will need to make the lca's longer to drive the pinion angle further downwards. If you, for some weird reason, were at -4 degrees, you'll need to shorten the lca's to move the pinion angle upwards. From what I'm hearing, there is a 3 degree movement in the pinion from resting to launch. That's why -3 degrees is ideal that way when you launch, you'll be at 0.

How loud are those particular lca's. I've already chewed up the bushings in my LCA's and I've lately heard that almost every company making them is having problems with the same bushings. I've been considering going to the race version, but also hear they are very noisy.
Old 8/23/05, 10:48 PM
Cobra R Member

I have installed LCA and still have wheel hop. No sure I want more noise from the upper arm.
Old 8/24/05, 01:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 169stang@August 23, 2005, 7:18 PM
How loud are those particular lca's. I've already chewed up the bushings in my LCA's and I've lately heard that almost every company making them is having problems with the same bushings. I've been considering going to the race version, but also hear they are very noisy.
The BMR instructions clearly state that the adjustable LCAs can be used to adjust pinion angle but I know the UCA can do the same.

The BMR LCAs are noisy for normal street driving, especially for rough roads. Freeway speeds are noise free and smooth and it obviously doesnt matter at the strip. Im happy with them but they are something that you have to get used to.

-Dan
Old 8/24/05, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Adjustment of the upper and/or the lower control arms will have an impact on pinion angle. To keep it simple, adjusting the upper is the simplest, assuming there is enough adjustment travel either way to get the desired effect. Adjusting the lowers is equally effective, except you have to do both sides equally the same, else you introduce some axle misalignment w/respect to the chassis. Think of it as changing the length of a leg on a three legged chair and how that affects the levelness of the top and in which direction.

To maintain wheel base if that is a problem, you will have to mess with both upper and lowers. And it may take a few iterations due to nonlinearity caused by link geometry and relative position to the axle.
Old 8/24/05, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Cleveland@August 24, 2005, 1:08 AM
The BMR instructions clearly state that the adjustable LCAs can be used to adjust pinion angle but I know the UCA can do the same.

The BMR LCAs are noisy for normal street driving, especially for rough roads. Freeway speeds are noise free and smooth and it obviously doesnt matter at the strip. Im happy with them but they are something that you have to get used to.

-Dan

I stand corrected!