GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Blown Baffle in my Flowmaster Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/07, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blown Baffle in my Flowmaster Muffler

Well, as the title reads it seems that I have fallen victim to the dreaded blown baffle / broken weld in my driver side Flowmaster Muffler. This seems to be a common problem with these mufflers. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and if Flowmaster replaced the unit with a new one or were you just SOL? If they replaced it I would appreciate some information as to how to get this done.

Thanks
Old 6/18/07, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just call Flowmaster and tell them the issue you are having. I went through 3 sets of Flowmaster AT's. They are extremely helpful and sent out a new kit right away each time. You have to return the old ones though. Pretty straight forward.
I am surprised this is still happening, on my 4th set they had implemented a new fix, and the problem was solved. Of course I am no longer running the AT's. I went and put on a set of original 40 series Flowmasters. They sound soooo much better with the off road h-pipe.
Old 6/18/07, 09:26 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through 4 sets of flowmasters. The last warranty replacement set I got, I sold for $220 to a guy here in town. Supposedly the last set I got was an improved design that wouldn't break. They added an extra brace inside. I finally gave up on mufflers because I was sick of changing them out, so I drive around with no mufflers now.

Scott at flowmaster will hook you up though with a new set
Old 6/18/07, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had 2 sets blow a baffle. They replaced them but its too much of a pain because they dont get a decent welding crew that knows how to weld? So, I would advise you to go to another brand. (the ones I talked about werent on my Mustang and were on other S/C cars too)Maybe the S/C made too much pressure for them..
Old 6/18/07, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Can someone describe the sound again? I've banged as hard as I can on both mufflers and I don't hear anything. I guess I am lucky.

I saw on TV how Flowmaster makes mufflers. The internal baffles are welded on by a computer controlled machine. So who ever programmed the machine is to blame!
Old 6/18/07, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DavidM
Well, as the title reads it seems that I have fallen victim to the dreaded blown baffle / broken weld in my driver side Flowmaster Muffler. This seems to be a common problem with these mufflers. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and if Flowmaster replaced the unit with a new one or were you just SOL? If they replaced it I would appreciate some information as to how to get this done.

Thanks
My ATs seem to be louder after adding the C&L street CAI... louder under load or at WOT. Just curious: what are the symptoms of a broken baffle.. is it more of a metallic rattle?
Old 6/18/07, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Can someone describe the sound again? I've banged as hard as I can on both mufflers and I don't hear anything. I guess I am lucky.

I saw on TV how Flowmaster makes mufflers. The internal baffles are welded on by a computer controlled machine. So who ever programmed the machine is to blame!
You'll know if you have a broken baffle weld. I dont really know the best way to describe it, but sounds like a metallic rattle/buzz sound. The closest thing I can compare it to is if youve ever had an old car and the heat shield on the catalytic converter came loose.
Its broke when you can hear that sound while driving. You can take a rubber mallet and hit the muffler case and it will make a similar sound.
Old 6/18/07, 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the info.

A couple of more questions though.

1. I dont know if I can find my original receipt. Will they still replace?
2. Do I have to ship them back first and then they send a replacement set?
3. Can a local authorized dealer verify the problem and give me a replacement and facilitate the exchange?
Old 6/18/07, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DavidM
Thanks for all the info.

A couple of more questions though.

1. I dont know if I can find my original receipt. Will they still replace?
2. Do I have to ship them back first and then they send a replacement set?
3. Can a local authorized dealer verify the problem and give me a replacement and facilitate the exchange?

1. Not sure. You would have to work that out with Flowmaster or ask the place you bought it from for another copy.
2. No, they send the muffler to you first, then just put the defective one in the box the new one came in, tape it up, and write the return address and the RMA # they will give you. UPS guy will pick it up at your door.
3. I'd say if you can't find a reciept, this would be the best option.
Old 6/18/07, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the receipt from every aftermarket part I have put on my car. I hope my wife never looks in that folder.
Old 6/18/07, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Gray. Me toooooo. It's already over an inch thick!!!
Old 6/18/07, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I have the receipt from every aftermarket part I have put on my car. I hope my wife never looks in that folder.
LOL +1 I re-labeled my mods folder to "Tax & Insurance Info" so no one will be tempted to look in it!
Old 6/19/07, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Geesh..you guys have more faith than me in your wifes lack of interest than mine. Receipts hit the shredder as soon as the item gets installed...

No, honey. That is a stock CAI part...that billit one too...you never noticed it before?

Old 6/19/07, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are whipped! haha!! Never let the wife have control over a key part of your manhood. I mean they already control everything else...dont let her take that too!

Let me guess, she tells you to clean the garage too?? Heard that before!
Old 6/19/07, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL Mark, obviously you know your wife doesn't view these forums....
Old 6/19/07, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
LOL Mark, obviously you know your wife doesn't view these forums....
When I do get married, I hope she doesnt read these forums

I'm just giving you married guys a hard time!!
Old 6/19/07, 11:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I order so much stuff online, I just keep the emailed recipts in the Drafts folder as a backup to the paper ones.
Old 6/19/07, 04:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I owned two sets... Did not have any quality issues with either... I liked them enough to go back after a short venture with Stingers. It's obvious that Flowmaster remedied the baffle problems as you don't see as many complaints like you did a year ago. You either got one of the earlier sets, or just bad luck...
Old 6/20/07, 06:48 AM

They were installed just shy of a year ago. I'm calling them today and see what they say. I hope they say "our bad. It's been a problem and we will send you a new set." But with my luck they will say " what? I've never heard of that, you must have installed them wrong sorry dude."

Keep your fingers crossed. I will post the response.
Old 6/20/07, 06:58 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Mine have been replaced once also. I spoke to Alex and he was extrememly helpful. They even found a local shop to do the install, since I had paid to get mine installed originally. I did have my receipt though..

Quick Reply: Blown Baffle in my Flowmaster Muffler